A December to Dismember--500 words/day, all genres welcome

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
159 words yesterday. Pretty pathetic, but I did spend most of the day cleaning the kiddos' playroom. I guess that means the day wasn't a total waste. I even put up a new bookshelf so they could store their books somewhere!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
No words, back to trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this thing. I suppose I might eventually have to admit that I just can't do this. I'm really frustrated with this book. I know in my head what I want it to be like, but it's just not coming out that way.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
No words, back to trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with this thing. I suppose I might eventually have to admit that I just can't do this. I'm really frustrated with this book. I know in my head what I want it to be like, but it's just not coming out that way.

Zelenka, I had the same problem with my second book. I just wanted it to be different from the first and kept running into a brick wall. Finally, after 5 failed attempts, I sat down and asked my MC how she wanted it to go and then it started flowing. Just put it aside for a bit of time, maybe a week, then go back to it with fresh eyes. You can do it. :D

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka, I had the same problem with my second book. I just wanted it to be different from the first and kept running into a brick wall. Finally, after 5 failed attempts, I sat down and asked my MC how she wanted it to go and then it started flowing. Just put it aside for a bit of time, maybe a week, then go back to it with fresh eyes. You can do it. :D

I think I've had this put aside longer than I've actually worked on it, if I add it all up! ;) Irritating thing is, I decided to write some chapters from the antagonist's POV, and those just flowed, and I think are some of the best work I've done in ages. Maybe my MC is jealous...

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
I think I've had this put aside longer than I've actually worked on it, if I add it all up! ;) Irritating thing is, I decided to write some chapters from the antagonist's POV, and those just flowed, and I think are some of the best work I've done in ages. Maybe my MC is jealous...

And maybe your antagonist is the MC. :Shrug: Just sayin'.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score

Hmn, antagonist's an internationally wanted terrorist. His storyline is more the subplot. He couldn't become the main MC without basically scrapping the whole story and doing a different genre of book, I don't think. Admittedly, scrapping this thing is actually becoming a strong possibility... Main problem is the amount of infodumping that's creeping in, getting in the way of the character stuff. If I can figure out how to get the character across and the setting, as it's a weird setting, and also keep the plot moving, then I'm on a roll... ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Balancing infodumps is always a rough one, Zelenka. Best of luck to you - it sounds like you've got some interesting stuff going on in this one.

I don't have a precise word count tonight, but it's something shy of 300. Better than nothing. I hit the end of a section, and I have to think about how I want the next bit to go. There's a reveal in there, and some new mysteries introduced, and it's all a bit hard emotionally on my MC, who handles intense feelings really badly. I want to make sure I do him credit.

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
2,624 words today. Not all new, but new to the WIP, anyway. Maybe 800 or so of them were brand new. Still, lots of copying and pasting going on as I sort out which scenes belong where.

Has anyone ever written anything disjointed like this? I feel like I am always working on more than one project at a time, my thoughts are so disorganized and I write scenes, and a few days later figure out that the scenes don't belong in this WIP, but in something I started before. Ugh, it's getting frustrating.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
159 words yesterday. Pretty pathetic, but I did spend most of the day cleaning the kiddos' playroom. I guess that means the day wasn't a total waste. I even put up a new bookshelf so they could store their books somewhere!

Any words is progress. :D

*hugs* I've been there.

I like that idea, asking the MC how it's supposed to go. Might have to try that with my WIP.

Isn't it odd how that happens? Maybe you just need to get back into the MC's head...

I was just about to say that.

Ooh, that's an interesting idea.

Hmn, antagonist's an internationally wanted terrorist. His storyline is more the subplot. He couldn't become the main MC without basically scrapping the whole story and doing a different genre of book, I don't think. Admittedly, scrapping this thing is actually becoming a strong possibility... Main problem is the amount of infodumping that's creeping in, getting in the way of the character stuff. If I can figure out how to get the character across and the setting, as it's a weird setting, and also keep the plot moving, then I'm on a roll... ;)

*hugs* Hope you can figure it out.

Balancing infodumps is always a rough one, Zelenka. Best of luck to you - it sounds like you've got some interesting stuff going on in this one.

I don't have a precise word count tonight, but it's something shy of 300. Better than nothing. I hit the end of a section, and I have to think about how I want the next bit to go. There's a reveal in there, and some new mysteries introduced, and it's all a bit hard emotionally on my MC, who handles intense feelings really badly. I want to make sure I do him credit.

Nice job!

2,624 words today. Not all new, but new to the WIP, anyway. Maybe 800 or so of them were brand new. Still, lots of copying and pasting going on as I sort out which scenes belong where.

Has anyone ever written anything disjointed like this? I feel like I am always working on more than one project at a time, my thoughts are so disorganized and I write scenes, and a few days later figure out that the scenes don't belong in this WIP, but in something I started before. Ugh, it's getting frustrating.

I have a WIP that is in 12 separate documents and not much in linear order. It's about 300k, I think, and I'm still terrified to even open up the document and try to sort it all out. It's one of my best, I think, so I have to eventually get over that. But yeah -- usually I write linear, but this particular book REFUSED to be linear. But I did finish the book, so there's always hope. *hugs*

2,046 words yesterday. I wanted to hit 80k by the end of the year, but I was 2k shy. S'okay. I did pretty well considering. :D