• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

blue_aura12

Registered
Reaction score
discovered Samhain when a few of their horror authors had a table at a horror movie convention i went to a few months ago. bought some of their books and liked them, and the authors i talk to had nothing but good things to say about Samhain.
it sucks that the wait-time for them is so long. i just finished and am editing my first novel and am planning to send it to Samhain. i'd like to have print copies to sell at conventions so that might not happen for a while (if they even decide they want to publish my book) but hearing that so many people on here are so happy with them is very, very encouraging.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
Just to give another perspective on response times, I heard back with an acceptance a whisker over three weeks after submitting. I suspect times vary according to genre / editor.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Now that my contract is all signed, I thought I'd update this thread for anyone waiting. I subbed my UF the last week of November. Got an offer mid-February. :)

Am very excited to be working with them as I've heard nothing but good things.

That's pretty good, kudos! And it's going to be published this year? Wow!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just to give another perspective on response times, I heard back with an acceptance a whisker over three weeks after submitting. I suspect times vary according to genre / editor.

That's very, very quick. I submitted mine on July 18th, and it took until the beginning of January to get a bite. That was well over 20 weeks. I've spent the last month and a half doing edits, which are due at the end of this month. My first book won't be out until May of 2014, but they want to see a second one before the year is out!

gothicfictionfan

Registered
Reaction score
i've also heard good things about samhain . . . a friend of mine has a few things published with them.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
That's very, very quick. I submitted mine on July 18th, and it took until the beginning of January to get a bite. That was well over 20 weeks. I've spent the last month and a half doing edits, which are due at the end of this month. My first book won't be out until May of 2014, but they want to see a second one before the year is out!

I certainly hadn't expected to hear in anything like that timeframe, and your experience indicates that mine isn't typical. That's fantastic about them wanting to see a second book from you - many congratulations!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Now that my contract is all signed, I thought I'd update this thread for anyone waiting. I subbed my UF the last week of November. Got an offer mid-February. :)

Am very excited to be working with them as I've heard nothing but good things.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "UF" mean?

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's not horror. It can be anything you'd find in any other fantasy - magic, wizards, dragons, vampires, werewolves, fae, etc. It can be gritty or humorous. It can be about solving a mystery or saving the world or anything in between.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
But what is the "fantasy?" Horror?

The fantasy is the fantastic element that pushes the novel into the fantasy genre. It could have the element of horror or typical horror monsters (vampires, werewolves, etc) or it could have mythological creatures/gods. (fairies, angels, roman gods, etc.). It could have none of these and just have people with magical powers (witches, warlocks, wizards, etc).

And the action takes place in a city, which often plays a big role.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Urban fantasy? Can you explain what that means to a neophyte? Is it like a Twilight?

If you are unfamiliar with any genre of fiction, you should always go to wikipedia and type in the type of fiction genre you are interested in finding information about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_fantasy

Twilight is considered Young Adult Paranormal.

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's not horror. It can be anything you'd find in any other fantasy - magic, wizards, dragons, vampires, werewolves, fae, etc. It can be gritty or humorous. It can be about solving a mystery or saving the world or anything in between.

Thanks for the clarification. You explained it beautifully.
Now I know! :)

Last edited:

JeanneM

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

I love Samhain and will submit manuscripts to them again, but do they send out rejection forms? I sent my MS on 2/17/2013 and haven't received an answer yet. The website said 12-16 weeks.

The reason I ask is because the editor recently Tweeted they completed their March slush pile. So I was wondering if I fell through the pixels cracks or if no response means no.

Happy spring!

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi I submitted December 1st, and had not heard back so sent them a quick query last night-they rejected it today, but at least it was a nice rejection! LOL So I waited almost the full amount of time...

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hello all.

I love Samhain and will submit manuscripts to them again, but do they send out rejection forms? I sent my MS on 2/17/2013 and haven't received an answer yet. The website said 12-16 weeks.

The reason I ask is because the editor recently Tweeted they completed their March slush pile. So I was wondering if I fell through the pixels cracks or if no response means no.

Happy spring!

I can only go by my own experience. I sent in my manuscript, via e-mail, on July 18th. In November, around the 16th week, I sent Imogen (who handles submissions) a note, just to inquire. At first, I received an automated response...but a few hours later, I got a personal one from Imogen. She said she'd send my question to the editors, and that I should hear from them soon, one way or the others.

From that point on, I played the waiting game because I didn't want to rock the boat. In mid-January, I decided to query them again, and within a few hours, I heard from their horror editor, who accepted my manuscript. Things moved very quickly from that point--I signed all contracts, gave them my cover art concept, and then began tweaking the manuscript. The tweaks will be done this week, and after a final read-through, everything will reach their desk next Thursday or Friday.

The only drawback? My book won't be published until May of 2014, an entire year from now! I realize it takes time to get these things just right, and I'm certainly willing to wait. Patience is indeed a virtue when it comes to matters such as these. Don, the editor, asked if I had a second book in me, which I do. That'll be finished sometime this year for publication toward the end of 2014/beginning of 2015. It'll all be worth the wait in the end.

So, my recommendation to you is, be patient. If you have what they want, you'll get good news!

Rod

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

Happy spring!
My editor tweeted something like that recently; wonder if it's the same person. :)

You're only at the 7 week or so mark? I wouldn't worry. I subbed at the end of November and got a response mid-February. The editor probably hasn't gotten to your submission yet.

Good luck!

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Can anyone familiar with Samhain please give me advice? I submitted my romantic suspense MS last November and sent them a status check in the middle of March. I thought they'd say they had just passed on it, but Imogen told me readers had recommended it to higher levels, so it was still under consideration. I told them then that Entangled was considering it too--after having read the three first chapters of a better version of the MS. I asked Imogen if Samhain would be interested in seeing a detailed synopsis of the changes I had made and she said the acquiring editor wanted to see it. This was sent March 29 and I haven't heard anything since from either publishers (though Entangled is apparently still considering it). Should I email Imogen for another update or just wait for them to get back to me? Thanks in advance!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Sorry to hear that, tri. I hope the comments helped, though. Samhain is rigorous - this is the third manuscript I've submitted, because the second one just didn't work. Thankfully, although the novels are all part of a series, they're not dependent on each other for the story to make sense.