Guardians of the Galaxy

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw the trailer for it, and to me it's either going to be the funniest thing around or the worst piece of drek. An angry racoon, a homicidal tree, a green-skinned alien girl--gee, I wonder where Marvel stole that idea from--a pro wrestler who looks like a pro wrestler (i.e. freak and I mean that in a good way) and a sorta dorky guy whose nom de guerre simply doesn't work...mainly because no one takes him seriously.

I'm in for this.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
You know I was actually thinking about making this thread yesterday.

I don't know. Its sales are probably going to bomb because Starlord is a pretty popular comic and it doesn't stay faithful to it. And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
See, this is what happens when a person stays away from the comic book world for, say, forty years.

Seriously, I think the last time I ever read a comic book was when I was twelve. (I'm fifty-two now--ya, really!) I'm not hip as to who's hot or offbeat or whatever. I grew up with the DC Big Three (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman--in Justice League, I mean) and all the other big names (Green Arrow, Flash, et.al.) and the main Marvel Guys, but know less than zero about the recent comics i.e. Starlord.

If this is supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek production for the unititiated, then the producers and director might just get away with it. The comic book faithful will carp, though, if it deviates from the material. (I'll take your word for it)

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Ha guess what I was watching an two hours ago.

You're right though. Cool. Now if only they'll slip Ben Browder in.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

Yeah, he actually kind of is. Drax is a pretty big, muscular dude in the comics. Ya gotta be big to thrown down with Thanos. He's been drawn as a rather hulking character for at least the past decade. Granted, I could never really get into GotG (I'm more of a DC fan) so I haven't thumbed through any of them in a while. They might've changed him recently, but I don't think they have.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about Guardians of the Galaxy and it looks awesome to me. :)

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
And Drax is not a wrestler freak. He is the bane of Galactus (Or something like that. I read it years ago).

I believe you might be thinking of Terrax

They pretty much have Drax perfect.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I don't think I could have put it better than Chuck Wendig, who tweeted: "Seriously, that GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY trailer looks like FIREFLY had a baby with GALAXY QUEST. Which, you know: awesome."

I can't wait for August now. :D I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about GotG beyond Rocket, but they certainly made it look like lots of fun and is spectacularly cast.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I love the Tweet that's been circling for the last week or so:

DC: Superheroes in space is serious business. Frowny faces. Taiko drums.

Marvel: *runs by with lampshade on head*

^ That's about as perfect as you can put it. GotG looks like a lot of fun, but it also looks like the kind of movie that would have never seen the light of day if not for the extra green generated by the Avengers and all its arms.

(I'm also looking forward to seeing Karen Gillan in something again.)

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who actually quite likes the Guardians but vastly prefers their more modern incarnations, I don't actually have much of an issue with Star Lord as he seems here (other than him not looking like I envisioned, heh). Heck, I can totally see this Peter turning into the sort of person he becomes in, say, Annihilation. I absolutely love the way Drax looks and can't wait to actually hear more of him. Actually, just in general I love the looks. <3

This has been my most anticipated movie of 2014 (Sorry, Cap) and the trailer and poster just cemented it. Not to mention all the potential galactic movie hooks. Planet Hulk? Rich Rider's Nova? Yes please!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't wowed by the trailer, but I'll tell you this for free: if Marvel can make a hit out a movie with no stars and a talking raccoon, they should go to Las Vegas with the winning streak they are on.

And I'd still go see a talking raccoon before The Amazing Spider-Man 2 because that movie looks like absolute ASS.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
No stars? There are a bunch of big or rising names here: Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel (doing voices for Rocket and Groot respectively), Zoe Saldana, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close... among others.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't wowed by the trailer, but I'll tell you this for free: if Marvel can make a hit out a movie with no stars and a talking raccoon, they should go to Las Vegas with the winning streak they are on.

This is one of those films that will either sweep the box-office or fail mightily. Its quirkiness and humor will be its biggest strength, but this movie doesn't come out until August, so I'm a little antsy that they're already hyping it up.

Tentpole movies get the year-long publicity blitzes, as there's a reasonable expectation of return on that investment. A movie where the biggest stars are "The guy from..." and "Wasn't she the one who played..." (and where the recognizable names are either minor roles or CGI) doesn't usually get that kind of push.

I'm hoping it will be awesome blowy-uppy fun time in space (Please be like Firefly. Please be like Firefly. Please be like firefly.), but we'll see.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No stars? There are a bunch of big or rising names here: Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel (doing voices for Rocket and Groot respectively), Zoe Saldana, Benicio Del Toro, Glenn Close... among others.

You just made my point.

Cooper and Diesel are the biggest "names" here and they're only lending their voices, not their faces, to the proceedings. Saldana, Del Toro and Close can't open a movie and the "stars" of the flick are Chris Pratt and Karen Gillian

Not exactly anyone that's going to make Tom Cruise tremble, but then again, Marvel's had some success with actors named "Chris" lately.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, this movie will succeed or fail on the script. The special effects--which means a lot of shit blowing up and being blown up--will be good. If Batista can get in one 'bomb' then his presence in the movie will be justified. Gunn is a quirky director and has a rather rancid rep with feminists, but I think he's smart enough to respect his source material and try and be as faithful to it as possible.

As for Pratt and his costar (and I confess that I haven't heard of either of them mainly because I don't follow the TV scene in the West) they'll probably do just fine because they're surrounded by decent actors (yes, the voices are what a lot of patrons come for as much as their physical presence) and if all things click, you'll have a good, fun flick.

Some fans and critics were a little hesitant when Batman Begins cast Bale in the lead role. However, the producers were smart enough to surround him with excellent backups like Oldman, Freeman, Hauer, Neeson, and Michael Caine. How could they go wrong? They didn't. Granted, GOTG doesn't have the same kind of heavyweight backup that BB had, but if the script is there, then the laughs and action and butts in the seats will also be there.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Looks goofy and snarky to me, which is not my cup of tea; so I'll have to pass. At least until my kids beg me to put it in the Netflix queue, I will.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bought my tickets for the first Saturday matinee (I'm cheap) 3D show! Woot! Woot!

Looks awesome!

Marvel has been on quite the roll...