Guardians of the Galaxy

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, it is a very silly movie.

But it is also well written, well acted, well paced...well done in general!

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not reading too many reviews about GotG because I don't want anybody else's opinions in my head. I've been looking forward to seeing it, though I've had some people say they don't want to see it for the oddest reason.

"I don't know what it's about."

Really? We're that brainwashed by reboots, sequels, series, spin-offs, re-imaginings, relaunches, remakes, and our film choices narrowed down to four or five easily swallowed categories that something that isn't any of those things gets a shrug of the shoulders and a non-commital, "meh?"

Wow. That's sad.

What's not sad is this is the Greatest Movie Review Title of All Time: Watching Guardians of the Galaxy Is Like Getting Back Part Of Your Soul. :hooray:

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
So, if it "looks" dorky in your opinion, then it's bad.
If it "is" -- which unless the trailer is one big lie ... etc. -- then it's not for me simply because, as I have said before, I don't like that sort of stuff and because it reinforces the stereotype that comics are braindead fare made just for kids and childish adults.
Or, other people think it's dorky and in TURN will think YOU are bad for seeing it?
No. See above. Even if I didn't think that dorky comic book films reinforce that stereotype, I wouldn't watch it -- don't like that type of fare as I have already said.
Or, that you'll be classified as a "stereotypical comic book nerd" for being seen in the theater (unless you go in disguise).
Again, see above.
So, yeah. Not computing.
I can't state my position on it any more clearly, I'm afraid.
Either there's a great, terrible fear of being labeled a "dork" (a term that hasn't been derogatory for quite a while now), or, I don't know. Don't go see it. Problem solved. Feel free to keep commenting on dorkiness, though. And how it seems like a dorky movie. Because I don't think everyone gets that yet.
So mote it be.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
So, one person thinks it looks "Dorky" and will make the beloved comic book fanbase look silly and immature.

Okay. Well, as a 43-year-old, I'm seeing it. And wow. Don't care what the movie sends as a message to people who apparently give a flying crap about the "immaturity and silliness" of comics.

Because they all must be serious.

All of them.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
They can be as they wish to be. I simply don't like the dorky ones. If you do, that's great -- I hope you enjoy the film. It's just not for me, for the reasons I have stated.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
They can be as they wish to be. I simply don't like the dorky ones. If you do, that's great -- I hope you enjoy the film. It's just not for me, for the reasons I have stated.

The film has all the funny parts of the trailer. But they're tied together by a consistent, underlying tone and five compelling characters with complete character arcs. The movie invests you into a character who can only say three words, and manages to balance humor and dramatic tension without losing either of them - a planet is in peril AND you can laugh at the slapstick and the one liners.

This movie is as "dorky" as an Indiana Jones film or one of the original Star Wars movies, and is roughly on the same plane of quality as Galaxy Quest (which is one of the highest fucking honors I can give a movie.)

Don't dismiss it because of your "comics must be sirruz" hangups.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
This movie is as "dorky" as an Indiana Jones film or one of the original Star Wars movies, and is roughly on the same plane of quality as Galaxy Quest (which is one of the highest fucking honors I can give a movie.)
Not a fan of those films.
Don't dismiss it because of your "comics must be sirruz" hangups.
Comics can be what they want to be. I prefer mine not to be goofy. Do they have to be serious? No. Can I enjoy them if they are humorous? Sure. Not all humorous things are goofy.

Last edited:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with someone saying they didn't like the trailer for a movie. Trailers can be hit and miss with people. All good giving an opinion on a trailer.

As for the rest, I suppose if dorky was still an insult, we could take issue. But dorky, and nerdy, and goofy, have all come into their own. Lots of people like movies which are dorky, nerdy, goofy. Some value those traits in themselves and are proud of it. I'd like to think I'm dorky, nerdy and goofy on occasion. I think goofy is fun (not so sure about the other dwarfs, though).

Sometimes I like a movie to be serious. Sometimes I like it to be funny. Sometimes I love a movie that is downright goofy. I don't see any problem with a movie being all of the above, some of the above, or none of the above. So long as the movie is good. And, the only way of knowing, is to see the movie. We can't always base our opinion on a trailer. And we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

And to sum up:

If you didn't like the trailer, and won't see the movie based on your dislike for the trailer, and you won't be swayed by anything anyone has to say on the trailer, or swayed by anyone having seen the movie, and you've stated in the thread you didn't like the trailer, and stated your reasons why, then don't keep on beating the horse into pulp.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Galaxy Quest was brilliant. And I have quoted it a few times on twitter the last few weeks.

Never give up. Never surrender.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not reading too many reviews about GotG because I don't want anybody else's opinions in my head. I've been looking forward to seeing it, though I've had some people say they don't want to see it for the oddest reason.

"I don't know what it's about."
Ha, I didn't know what it was about, and that was one of it's selling points to me. I just thought the trailer looked fun.

Although normally, I do like to know what a movie is about. I don't mean that I need a retelling or remake or series/sequel/spin-off (and isn't this based off a series and technically in the same Marvel-verse as everything else?), but I like to know something about a movie before I go into it.

Anyway, I just watched it, and I love it, and I'm pretty sure Starlord reacted to getting abducted about the same way I would...listen to the only source of music I have over and over and over.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I've pretty much been singing that one since I left the theater. Well, the barbershop version my chorus performs, but the lead part's almost the same.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it if people don't like "dorky" movies. I don't like sitcoms that have laugh tracks. So, I don't watch them.

I could just say, "Hey! I don't like comedy w/laugh tracks. They just don't do it for me."

Or, I could say, "Well, laugh tracks make all comedy watchers seem stupid, like they're being force-fed laughs and therefore, I will not watch laugh-track comedies. Ever."

One is a bit more succinct. The other kind of, well, I don't know. :)

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Still have yet to see it! We're going Monday when the crowds are down. The hubby got Monday off, so we can see the matinee. :)

Rags99

Grendizer go!
Registered
Reaction score
Still have yet to see it! We're going Monday when the crowds are down. The hubby got Monday off, so we can see the matinee. :)

Fantastic!

I went opening night and it was packed. Everyone seemed to come out in a good mood, a group of guys were singing "Hooked on a Feeling" at the top of their lungs.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I love crowds like that, too! It brings the whole film to a new experience. :)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Took the kids to see it today. They loved it. I thought it was just okay. Would've liked more clever/funny dialogue, less CGI explodey stuff. Not in the same class as Firefly or Galaxy Quest, IMO, though I did enjoy the characters and the 3D settings.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I treat GotG the same way I treat Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels: a healthy surface dose of satire, underlying some deeply philosophical and humanistic issues. Plus, there's the science street cred of the 'Science of Discworld' books.

Serious fun. But I'm willing to agree to disagree with other viewpoints.