Outlander Series on Starz

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
I have not read the book so take my questions and or comments as someone who is a virgin to this series...

Is the book/s written in first person?

Reason I ask is because the opening episode is in first person and I sort of liked the MC narrating it as she goes along, but I also realize that this will cause a problem if they start head hopping. So, is the book/s all first person?

I am still up in the air on how I feel about the MC. She seems to be too accepting of her situation at this early point in the story, which I am sure made it easier for the writer to move the story along instead of dwelling on her emotional state. I get that this woman is a very strong character for the time period, but I mean to go from the 1940's back to the 1740's or 1840's, there has got to be some disbelief on her part.

I like the story setting and scenery/location shots. Very well done for a period piece.

I will more than likely keep watching...

The books also use an intermittent 3rd person when the POV is a character other than Claire. Would be very difficult for a story of that scope to be limited by one person having to be there to experience everything first hand. So my guess is that there won't be head hopping narration. As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly in a review I'd read where the reviewer was given the first 6 episodes, the narration becomes less frequent as the series goes on.

Yup, just found the review here, and it says it does lessen and that there's no narration at all in Episode 6.

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/7/5980011/outlander-review-starz-diana-gabaldon-ron-moore

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first episode! I loved the settings and the music was great. The cast seemed to be close to what I had always imagined the characters to look like. For some reason, though, I always saw Jason Isaacs as Frank/ Jack. LOL. It must have been all those times I saw him in
"The Patriot."

I'm happy this has come on. I've been bummed since I'm in between seasons on Vikings and Game of Thrones. I need something to be obsessed about, I guess, or I'm just not happy.

I'm wondering who did the music. At first I thought maybe it was Clannad, but the singer sounds different. Does anyone know?

I'm hoping to go to some Highland Games in Tulsa, OK. next month. I'm very sad that I don't have a clan (my last name is very English) so I may have to adopt one.:D

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the first episode! I loved the settings and the music was great. The cast seemed to be close to what I had always imagined the characters to look like. For some reason, though, I always saw Jason Isaacs as Frank/ Jack. LOL. It must have been all those times I saw him in
"The Patriot."

I'm happy this has come on. I've been bummed since I'm in between seasons on Vikings and Game of Thrones. I need something to be obsessed about, I guess, or I'm just not happy.

I'm wondering who did the music. At first I thought maybe it was Clannad, but the singer sounds different. Does anyone know?

I'm hoping to go to some Highland Games in Tulsa, OK. next month. I'm very sad that I don't have a clan (my last name is very English) so I may have to adopt one.:D

I never thought of Jason Isaacs but you're right he would have been an excellent Black Jack!! I still think Tobias Menzies is doing a great job of playing two completely different characters though.

Bear McCreary is doing the music for Outlander.

I saw yesterday that the show was renewed for season/book 2 (Dragonfly in Amber)!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica, etc). His wife is the one who does the vocals, so far.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. For one thing, as someone else noted above, the production looks sumptuous. If I had a niggle, it would be that the plot points adhere a little too closely to the old ripped bodice romance outline...I mean, the one beardless gym-bodied dude is the one she needs to nurse and ride all cuddled up with for the journey to the castle? Um, don't try to keep me guessing, story.

I'm drawn in for now and am interested to see where it goes.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
... If I had a niggle, it would be that the plot points adhere a little too closely to the old ripped bodice romance outline...I mean, the one beardless gym-bodied dude is the one she needs to nurse and ride all cuddled up with for the journey to the castle? Um, don't try to keep me guessing, story...

I don't get to watch this until Sunday when it comes out here on Showcase, but I have read and loved the books, and that scene is taken directly out of the book. I wouldn't call the books bodice rippers but they do have an more than just an element of romance in them.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
What did everyone think of the last two episodes? I'm still really enjoying the show. It's following the book so closely! And the changes they do make I'm actually okay with. For example changing the changeling baby scene to the boys being poisoned at the Black Kirk

And I'm already loving to hate Father Bain. :) Whoever it is that's playing him is doing a great job of being an awful person!

I was expecting Laoghaire to be a little prettier and Geillis to not be as pretty though.

These were a couple of blog posts I read recently that made me laugh - thought I'd share.

Things My Husband Says During Outlander

Things My Husband Says During Outlander: Castle Leoch

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading the book while I watch the show and it's pretty much on par. Even the dialogue is pretty much the same. I like Claire more in the book though, but Jamie is a winner in both. He's so charismatic and really well written/acted. He should serve as an example for writers on how to write a compelling love interest, or a man for that matter. He's funny, brave, sympathetic, smart, charismatic, and kind. The same goes for Claire.

That is, he's tortured, but he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder like many of the men I see in today's literature. :) Anyone care to weigh in on the matter?

Oh, and I could TOTALLY see Jason Isaacs as Black Jack, but Tobias Menzies is doing a good job of being a slimball. Don't know if Isaacs could have reflected that.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The books are just marvelous. You're in for quite a ride. And so far, the series is holding up beautifully. The casting has been terrific.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I don't know I was a bit underwhelmed with the third episode, almost bored. I have such strong feelings for the book characters, I don't feel her with Frank. Which is probably one of the problems.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know I was a bit underwhelmed with the third episode, almost bored. I have such strong feelings for the book characters, I don't feel her with Frank. Which is probably one of the problems.

I think each episode has gotten better. I'm expecting more action after episode 4, The Gathering. It seems like even in the book that's when it really started getting good.

You don't feel Claire with Frank in the show?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I think each episode has gotten better. I'm expecting more action after episode 4, The Gathering. It seems like even in the book that's when it really started getting good.

You don't feel Claire with Frank in the show?

They're trying to sell me Frank and Claire. And if I didn't know the books I'd be on board... but knowing the books I just, I don't know, I can't really explain it.
I am waiting to see what the next episodes bring... plus I really need to re-read the books.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Each episode has intrigued me enough to keep watching, when I can catch it airing, but its not like Rome, or A Game of Thrones, where I make a point of catching the shows when each new episode airs...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
She was excellent :D I love that they did that.

Also I love Jamie.

I really love the opening theme. It's nicely done.

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like the opening at first (disliked the song and thought it went on for too long), it reminded me of the opening credits from Firefly...however now, I just love it. It really sets the mood, and puts me in that "world".

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
She was excellent :D I love that they did that.

Also I love Jamie.

I really love the opening theme. It's nicely done.

Did you see Ron Moore? I saw him but it took me a second to realize that I'd actually seen him in the crowd. :)

I didn't like the opening at first (disliked the song and thought it went on for too long), it reminded me of the opening credits from Firefly...however now, I just love it. It really sets the mood, and puts me in that "world".

I didn't like it at first either. It was so built up before the premiere that I was expecting something...more. But it's grown on me.

I also like watching the opening credits and trying to pick out what's happening in the clips. I still can't figure out the body part...a shoulder, a calf, a hip...what is it?? LOL

Goldberry

Registered
Reaction score
I really like Jaime. I like it that he's not a jerk- I gave up on romance novels because I got so tired of jerky, cruel or addicted men being portrayed as sexy. So far I'm happy with all the characters in the series. I think the guys who are supposed to follow Claire around are funny.

When I read the book, I had the impression that even though Claire loved Frank, they weren't "soul mates." I thought he seemed a bit too prissy, and he was upset with her language. Maybe Gabaldon was leaving some room for Claire to be able to fall for another man.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Gabaldon never sold me on Frank. Which is why I have trouble with the TV Frank. But, I love how TV essentially made you see that they had a loving, sexual relationship.

For Jamie not being a jerk... I'm curious what will happen with that one infamous scene and how viewers react etc. Started re-reading the books. Actually looking forward to that scene. It didn't bug my 15 year-old self. It might bug my 30 year-old self?

No, didn't catch Ron Moore in the crowd. Must watch again.

For the opening theme, yes, did not like it at first, too long etc. But, now I'm loving it. It sets the mood, it takes you away and drops you into the world!

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Gabaldon never sold me on Frank. Which is why I have trouble with the TV Frank. But, I love how TV essentially made you see that they had a loving, sexual relationship.

For Jamie not being a jerk... I'm curious what will happen with that one infamous scene and how viewers react etc. Started re-reading the books. Actually looking forward to that scene. It didn't bug my 15 year-old self. It might bug my 30 year-old self?

No, didn't catch Ron Moore in the crowd. Must watch again.

For the opening theme, yes, did not like it at first, too long etc. But, now I'm loving it. It sets the mood, it takes you away and drops you into the world!

I know exactly which one you're talking about and now that you've mentioned it I'm curious about reactions too. I wonder if we'll see that in the first 8 episodes or if we'll have to wait until spring (or whenever it is) to see that.

I just read all of the books this year and that scene didn't bother me but it did bother my cousin...so I'm sure the reactions will be pretty varied. :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
He should serve as an example for writers on how to write a compelling love interest, or a man for that matter. He's funny, brave, sympathetic, smart, charismatic, and kind. The same goes for Claire.

That is, he's tortured, but he doesn't have a chip on his shoulder like many of the men I see in today's literature. :) Anyone care to weigh in on the matter?

Jamie is probably one of the most compelling male characters I've ever read, and Sam Heughan is doing a fantastic job portraying him.

Really enjoying this series. It's going to be a long wait when it goes on hiatus after the 8th episode.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Jamie is probably one of the most compelling male characters I've ever read, and Sam Heughan is doing a fantastic job portraying him.

Really enjoying this series. It's going to be a long wait when it goes on hiatus after the 8th episode.

A verra long wait! :) Does anyone know when it will be back on?