Remove thyself from my cumulonimbus

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I want to delete the "of" from the phrase "off of" in a non-formal article. I've been checking whether there was any definitive evidence that it was incorrect, or at least, that it was reasonable of me to want to edit it out. I've found references to it having been in use since at least Shakespeare's time, and to it being considered non-standard in modern English. Can anyone suggest a source I can point to if needed? Or is it something that should be ignored?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's often not needed at all. What's the phrase concerned where it appears?

Why would you need to justify its deletion beyond improving flow and clarity?

He fell off of his bicycle.

Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The phrase is (sorry, I'd prefer to remove identifying info, but hopefully this is enough):

"After [character] makes it off of [planet] following [the event] ... "

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could stay - it could be deleted. Your choice.

Personally, I find the phrase a tad clumsy and I would re-phrase it to avoid the 'off of' altogether, but that isn't your question.

.....escapes from [planet].....?

See what other more knowledgable souls have to offer.

Good luck. :)

The phrase is (sorry, I'd prefer to remove identifying info, but hopefully this is enough):

"After [character] makes it off of [planet] following [the event] ... "

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
"Off of" bugs the hell out of me, no matter whether it was in use in Shakespeare's time or not. I'd delete it without a second thought. But that's just me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"off planet" is a very common phrase in SF, so I'd remove "of" without a second thought. I can't even think of a time I would use it in a sentence like yours.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! The article isn't mine - it was written on a Wiki, by multiple contributors. I wanted to remove the "of" as soon as I saw it, but wanted something solid to point to if the edit was challenged. I'll go with something along the lines of, 'minor edit to non-standard English, to improve flow' as the reason. Thank you for your replies!

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's on Wiki just change it - no explanation needed. I wouldn't be surprised if some twit put the 'of' back in. ;)

ETA- thanks for the Repped explanation it's an account that requires explanations for alterations.

Thanks, everyone! The article isn't mine - it was written on a Wiki, by multiple contributors. I wanted to remove the "of" as soon as I saw it, but wanted something solid to point to if the edit was challenged. I'll go with something along the lines of, 'minor edit to non-standard English, to improve flow' as the reason. Thank you for your replies!

Last edited:

LynnKHollander

This space intentionally left blank
Registered
Reaction score
"Off of" bugs the hell out of me, no matter whether it was in use in Shakespeare's time or not. I'd delete it without a second thought. But that's just me.
~~No, others agree with you. I would never use that.