Lists/Descriptions and Commas

upsidedown

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very good with grammar. I get the basics, but I really wish I'd understand the more complex stuff. I just can't wrap my head around what all the things are called. But anyways, usually I manage to find the answer online, it's just this has been bugging me for a long time.

Do you need an "and" when you do stuff like this:

He sat down, face downcast, shoulders hunched, (and?) fingers steepled in front of him.
or a similar sentence...

He ran through the woods, looking back at every turn, panicking at the slightest sound, hoping, (and?) praying he wouldn't get caught.
The "and" just sounds so off to me. I've tried looking it up but I don't know what that part of a sentence is called. They're not always adjectives. I looked at some published books and found something similar in To Kill a Mockingbird:
Hours of wintertime had found me in the treehouse, looking over at the schoolyard, spying on multitudes of children through a two-power telescope Jem had given me, learning their games, following Jem’s red jacket through wriggling circles of blind man’s bluff, secretly sharing their misfortunes and minor victories.

It basically does the same thing (the last "and" doesn't count to me as it's part of secretly sharing...). Is it correct or should it be "...bluff, AND secretly sharing..."

Is it a style thing? Sometimes the "and" sounds fine and othertimes it seems to halt everything.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's a conjunction.

The first sentence is fine with or without the 'and.'

The second sentence is throwing you, I think, because generally, 'hoping and praying,' is one thing, thus there should be no other comma after the one following 'sound.'

Yes, it's a style thing, and an Oxford comma thing. ;)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
It seems like this should read:

He sat down, face downcast, shoulders hunched, (and?) with his fingers steepled in front of him.

(I know it's just an example, but it's sorta hard to say when the and doesn't seem to have a place contextually to begin with.)
Just my two cents. I'm not much good with grammatical complexities, either, so I tend to skirt 'em.

Shameful to be sure.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you need an "and" when you do stuff like this:

He sat down, face downcast, shoulders hunched, (and?) fingers steepled in front of him.

Strictly speaking, no you don't need the and each and every time. You may occasionally leave out the final conjunction in a series by employing a grammatical device called an asyndeton. It's when normally occurring conjunctions (and, or, but, for, nor, so, yet) are intentionally omitted in successive phrases.

Thus,He sat down, face downcast, shoulders hunched, fingers steepled in front of him. is technically correct. However, "occasionally" is key. To employ an asymdeton omission more than once in a great while would not create the best writing.

He ran through the woods, looking back at every turn, panicking at the slightest sound, hoping, (and?) praying he wouldn't get caught.

As Cornflake said, in the previous sentence, "and" does not function to link items in a series. It is a simple conjunction linking "hoping and praying" and is definitely necessary. In fact, even with the "and," your second sentence is technically an asymdeton.

Perhaps this rule may help:

Comma Rule Number 3: Commas separate items in a series:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable, and brunettes irresistible.

The final comma before the conjunction is always correct. However, the journalistic practice to omit the serial (or Oxford) comma is every author’s option:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable and brunettes irresistible.

Also correct is an occasional asyndeton (a-SIN-dih-tawn), the intentional omission of the normally occurring conjunction (and, or, but, for, nor, so, yet) in a series of words, phrases, or clauses:
James found blondes attractive, redheads adorable, brunettes irresistible.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The "and" just sounds so off to me. I've tried looking it up but I don't know what that part of a sentence is called. They're not always adjectives.

They're never adjectives. Again, as Cornflake said, "and" in this case is one of seven simple and coordinating conjunctions: and, or, nor, but, for, yet, and so.

I looked at some published books and found something similar in To Kill a Mockingbird:

Hours of wintertime had found me in the treehouse, looking over at the schoolyard, spying on multitudes of children through a two-power telescope Jem had given me, learning their games, following Jem’s red jacket through wriggling circles of blind man’s bluff, secretly sharing their misfortunes and minor victories.

It basically does the same thing (the last "and" doesn't count to me as it's part of secretly sharing...). Is it correct or should it be "...bluff, AND secretly sharing..."

Is it a style thing? Sometimes the "and" sounds fine and other times it seems to halt everything.

At the risk of repeating: Yes, it is a style thing, and in the above sentence from her book, Harper Lee chose an asyndeton and omitted the final conjunction. However, if you read all of To Kill a Mocking Bird, you'll find asyndetons are used sparingly.

Did this help or am I :deadhorse? :D

upsidedown

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone so much, escpecially Chase. I'd never heard of that term. Now that's a long itch finally scratched. You're not beating it over the head. Actually, do you recommend any good grammar books (or sites?) that go into the complex stuff like this?

The sentences were just quick example sentences I thought of on the spot. Looking back, hoping/praying should have had the "and" because they're connected to "get caught" forming a sentence similar in structure to Harper Lee's were she uses an "and" at the end, but it's still an asyndeton like you said.

I use the oxford comma, since it usually makes it easier to write out multiple ands and catch problems like the hoping/praying (*facepalm*). One last question though, taking the sentence from To Kill a Mockingbird again, it can't be excused as not an asyndeton by saying you don't use the oxford comma, right? Because "secretly sharing their misfortunes and minor victories" needs to stay like that. It can't be "secretly sharing their misfortunes, and minor victories".

And I was using adjectives just to try and explain how the trailing phrases were often used to describe, not the "and" I know that's a conjunction. Just didn't know how to explain the problem.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
An answer and a question:

Remember to consider who your audience will be when deciding whether to break grammar rules in the interest of style. I've told my formerly-homeschooled, currently-in-college kids that there can be a difference between writing that's good and writing that's good to turn in to their E101 prof. I'd even go so far as to say that if something (e.g., a comma or the word "and') is optional (and the grammar books say it's optional), still use it for an E101 prof. (We learned that the hard way--a point deducted--eek!) If they go on to take creative writing courses, then maybe they'll want to break grammar rules when there are good reasons to do so.

And here comes my question.

I know sometimes people put "hoping and praying" together, and they kinda become one thing to them. But I think there's a difference. To me, hoping is basically thinking good thoughts. Praying is communicating with God, and can mean asking the all-powerful ruler of the universe to intervene on our behalf. What if a writer wanted to use this sentence to convey that the character wasn't merely hoping he wouldn't get caught, but was also praying he wouldn't get caught. If that were the intended meaning, would it be correct to omit "and"?

He ran through the woods, looking back at every turn, panicking at the slightest sound, hoping, praying he wouldn't get caught.

I guess italicizing "praying" would be a way to emphasize that the character wasn't merely hoping but was also praying. But I prefer to find ways to emphasize things without using italics.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

upsidedown

Registered
Reaction score
Purdue OWL. Gooooogle will get you the URL instantly. It's by far the best free grammar/style site on the Net. Find it and bookmark it.

caw

I do know Purdue OWL, it's been of some help sometimes and I did read all it had to say about commas but never found my answer. It's also very academic, like oriented towards writing research papers. I just tried to see if it had covered asyndetons and I'd missed it. A quick google search revealed they never covered the word. So that was never going to help.

@ArtsyAmy:

Not going to college for writing or anything like that.

That was an example sentence I butchered. But, I think it could be seperated, though the sentences would take on different meanings.

...hoping, praying he wouldn't get caught.
The character is hoping. For what we wouldn't know, but he's praying he won't get caught.

...hoping and praying he wouldn't get caught.
As I see it would mean we know he's hoping to not get cuaght.

They're really close. Damn commas, changing the meaning of everything.