Rumor: Warner Bros. Imposes "No Jokes" Rule On DC Comics Movies

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
If this is true, it's honestly one of the dumbest things I've heard in awhile.

Now, journalist and film-critic Drew McWeeny has reported that he (and other industry-watchers) are hearing a consistent two-word answer to the question of how Warner Bros. plans to set the world of The Justice League apart from that of The Avengers: "No jokes."

The full implication of the "no jokes" mandate (which was also mentioned by Badass Digest writer Devin Faraci on Meet The Movie Press) would suggest that the studio wants its superheroes to be serious business; perhaps as a deliberate contrast to the lighter Silver Age-inspired Marvel approach most recently seen in Guardians of The Galaxy - a film widely expected to become the highest-grossing film of the year in the near future.

There has been no confirmation or denial from anyone involved in the production of the DC Comics movies regarding any "no jokes" policy, nor any clarification as to whether it will extend to proposed films based on traditionally lighter/kid-friendly characters like Aquaman or Shazam.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...os-no-jokes-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice

I guess there's just no room for humor in a world of adults in skin tight costumes.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I was just coming here to post this! (shakes a fist at Shadow Dragon)

(hugs Shadow Dragon)

I don't believe this is true. I do think it highlights one of my biggest concerns though--that most of what I've seen from DC films in the last few years is fairly joyless and vapid.

This smells too much of disgruntled fanboys/fangirls spreading misinformation.

If I'm wrong, then I don't know. I guess my expectations are so low for anything to do with DC movies that I honestly don't think they could go any lower. I've hit bottom there. All that's left is the possibility of some black hole forming below me that will suck me into another time/universe.

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! I love the tone of Man of Steel and want to see more of it in the JLA film.

Hope it's true.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's just gossip, but it's telling gossip.

I have been pretty repelled by the gratuitous grimdark murk of DC movies of late. They don't seem to have any sense of fun. There's no joy in, say, the current incarnation of Superman the way there was in Christopher Reeve's day.

When I was a teenager I would have been shocked that in the future DC movies would be gritty, gross, and angsty and Marvel movies would be lighthearted and good-humored. It's a total reversal of their traditional personalities.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like it's one thing to be too slapsticky and another thing to have some light-hearted moments in there. I look at Tony Stark as a great example of how to balance a character with both wit and serious moments.

I just don't buy this link. I don't think any studio is that utterly stupid (and to make such a demand is just . . . idiotic). To me it sounds like people are genuinely sick of Emo narrative that has no dimension other than dark dark grim dark.

I mean, let's be honest here, The Crow is a movie that really fueled the whole EMO trend. Hardcore. And it still had some spot-on, well-played humor. Not yuck-yuck kick some guy in the nads and laugh really hard stuff, but intelligent, witty moments.

DaisyH

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love a more serious take on superheros (not saying that Marvel isn't serious-- Captain America is a perfect balance of serious and funny in my opinion) but "no jokes" is just stupid.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There were certainly jokes in Nolan's Batman Trilogy (a couple of funny ones) and there were a couple in MOS (one was even mildly funny--"Well, here's it's an S")...so, this seems not genuine.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I think that it's a rumor, but a believable one. DC has had no idea about how to market their own characters for a while now. Making superheroes grim and dark worked for Watchmen because it was supposed to show how heroes would be in our very cynical reality.

Where Marvel's heroes have always been very human as in "I can fly and vaporize buildings with my powered amor but I'm still an alcoholic", DC were always forces of nature, the kind you would picture more saving a village from a volcano or stopping an incoming meteor.

That's what DC can't get. They'd rather change all future soundtracks to early Linkin Park lyrics than reexamine their approach.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I don't mind dark, serious approaches to comic book superheroes. Watchmen was brilliant, largely because it was written by the really thoughtful Alan Moore.

(Cripes. I just had an unpleasant thought. What if DC thought it was doing to Superman what Alan Moore had done to the old Charlton Comics characters.)

Possibly DC has been cursed by having some really good, creative, edgy writers. Alan Moore is probably first among them. Neil Gaiman was another breakout. There have been some very good, dark titles from DC.

But DC has also been saddled with a legion of writers, many who tried to copy the astonishing success of those two, who have popularized nasty, nihilistic, bitter, pessimistic and cynical dark stories.

I like intelligent stories, even if they're bleak.

I don't like bleak stories if that's all they are.

And in DC's movies, that's all they are.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Batman should be dark and bleak. People who are nostalgic for the 60s Batman who fought the Riddler atop giant reconstructions of board games forget that the original 40s Batman was a grimdark vigilante who gunned down criminals.

But Superman? He's supposed to be unabashedly and unironically all about truth, justice, and the American (okay, I don't blame them for internationalizing him more nowadays) way.

They haven't figured out how to do a purely heroic non-ironic hero.

They figured it out with Captain America in the new movies, despite the ambivalent place patriotism (and specifically, pro-Americanism) holds with modern audiences. So the fact that DC can't get it right with Superman or the Justice League is just sad.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
There were certainly jokes in Nolan's Batman Trilogy (a couple of funny ones) and there were a couple in MOS (one was even mildly funny--"Well, here's it's an S")...so, this seems not genuine.

I fucking despise that line. Every time I hear it, I am struck by how...racist it sounds.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
But DC has also been saddled with a legion of writers, many who tried to copy the astonishing success of those two, who have popularized nasty, nihilistic, bitter, pessimistic and cynical dark stories.

I like intelligent stories, even if they're bleak.

I don't like bleak stories if that's all they are.

And in DC's movies, that's all they are.

I think this sums up my thoughts as well. I like intelligent stories (and in my opinion, great humor cannot exist w/o a great amount of intelligence). And yes, even if a movie is bleak . . . it works as long as it has intelligence and thoughtfulness. The Matrix comes to mind. Not a lot of opportunities for "jokes," but it was so smart and executed in a such a remarkable manner that it was not consumed by joylessness and dreary for the sake of dreariness. It was not overly aware of it.

The issue with Man of Steel (and the last Dark Knight film) is that these films were taking themselves way too seriously and the "lighter" moments were completely falling flat--or drowning in a sea of hopelessness (or effects). I loved (LOVED) the first two Dark Knight films. The last one... I couldn't even finish. I got about 2/3 of the way through and said--out loud--"I don't give a crap about anyone in this movie." And that was it. There was no point in watching anymore.

Man of Steel ruined an otherwise interesting narrative by flashbacks that held almost no weight and yet, you could almost sense someone standing there in the audience holding up signs saying, "CRY. NOW." The thing is, I watch the trailer and I get more choked up during that 2 minute cutting of clips than I did throughout the entire movie.

And I won't even "go there" with Lois Lane. Holy shit. You have an amazing actress and she commits one tropey, cliche female move after another. (Not to mention I feel they completely wasted Henry Cavill as well.)

It's a trainwreck. The only thing that saved the movie was it's cutting edge special effects. So, in short, I think its lack of any lightheartedness is the very least of the movie's problems. If anything (and IF the rumor is true) it simply shows the DC powers-that-be as bungling assclowns who apparently need to micromanage "jokes" because maybe plugging that one little hole will keep the Titanic from sinking. I don't know.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
"Well, let's look at what all the hip and trendy kids watch these days. Breaking Bad. That's about a nice guy who's kind of an ass, right? Twilight: Broody vampires and lots of makeup. Harry Potter: Dark colors. Ooh, moody. Game of Thrones: Nah, we can't show sex or profanity here. Let's just be bleak and make them hate all of our characters. That's the point of the show, right?"

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I fucking despise that line. Every time I hear it, I am struck by how...racist it sounds.

I saw the movie, but don't remember the line and can't find a reference to it with Google. Can you please clarify/expand on that?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
"Well, let's look at what all the hip and trendy kids watch these days. Breaking Bad. That's about a nice guy who's kind of an ass, right? Twilight: Broody vampires and lots of makeup. Harry Potter: Dark colors. Ooh, moody. Game of Thrones: Nah, we can't show sex or profanity here. Let's just be bleak and make them hate all of our characters. That's the point of the show, right?"

The thing is, Game of Thrones has some awesome humor in it! Peter Dinklage = the funny masta!

But, it's not over-the-top. And while super DARK, Game of Thrones has that sound narrative foundation that GRRM created. And the directors/writers have done a great job at carrying that narrative through. Boobs and all. :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this "no-jokes" thing is true or just a rumor to drum up support for DC, but whatever. The terrible truth is while they excel at making animated movies (for the most part) with the right amount of humor, action, excellent animation (usually) and storyline, they totally suck at making live-action flicks.

I'll admit to loving the Nolan Batman trilogy even though the last entry was a bit overlong and dull in stretches. I'm one of the few who actually liked MOS. And even Green Lantern had its moments, few and far between as they were. But overall, their live-action flicks have sucked precisely because they've taken themselves too seriously.

In contrast, Marvel has fun with it all mainly because their comic book characters were a LOT more flawed than their DC counterparts back in the day (and even now, I guess). They appeared more 'realistic' in comic book form, more relatable in many ways, and that translated to the big screen, by and large. DC's heroes were usually very noble and less flawed and while that worked in the comics, onscreen it came off as two-dimensional and incomplete.

And the screenwriting sucked, too. It ain't the special effects. They were fine. The screenplays have been so amateurish in some flicks that I cringe when listening. Marvel is hip, almost glib, but they know when to have fun and when to get serious. With DC, it's always intense, like Repo Man.

And in their case, that ain't a good thing.