Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The first 35 minutes of Witchboard 3: The Possession. After the point where the demon electrocutes our whiny, unlikeable hero, sends his soul into the planchette (really), and possessess his body to, apparently, seduce his stick-thin, devoid-of-personality wife (for the usual reason and to EAT HER SOUL MuAHAHAHAHA!... I quit. Life's too short.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks For Sharing Good acting and very good writing except for a couple of choices that I didn't find believable. I know it's not new, but I won't spoil it for anyone who's yet to see it---- Great cast!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw The Heat. I really found it entertaining. The contrast between the two characters really worked for me and though Melissa McCarthy's character was a little over the top at times (and character actions very unrealistic in terms of the behaviors her character got away with), I found her to be HILARIOUS. There were scenes where I was laughing so hard, I had to rewind them to watch again. The monologue of "Looking for the captain's balls" had me completely crying. The bad guy bit was a bit predictable, but overall I REALLY enjoyed it. We rented it from the library for $1. A great bargain IMO.

I also recently saw Divergent. FINALLY. I loved the book and was excited to see the movie. I thought it was a great book to movie translation. I look forward to Insurgent even though I couldn't get through that book for the life of me. Hoping the story will translate better on film.

Last edited:

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Last week i finally got around to see Guardians of the Galaxy and it really was the kind of movie experience that we have very rarely ever seen in theatres since the 80s. Which is probably why it was so successful despite not having A list stars and not being about the safe, standard Marvel fare.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Because I'm in wait mode, I turned on Snow White and the Huntsman.

Um... this movie is awful. Train-wreck awful.

in what universe is Kristen Stewart *ever* lovelier than Charlize Theron? Casting Fail. Also, "let's update Disney and make it darker and creepier and oh, yeah, let's smash the story together with Elizabeth Bathory's legend! It'll be great!" Um, no.

Oh, darn: I have to go cook supper now.

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
300 Rise of an Empire. I fell asleep though I think it was just because we started watching way too late. Unfortunately, it was a Redbox movie, so we had to return it today. But, I'm not all that upset I missed the last 45 mins, so I guess that's saying something.

Tonight we're watching Gravity.

ETA: Didn't end up watching Gravity. We watched This is The End instead. Not really sure yet what or how to think on this one. It was very funny in parts, corny in others, brilliantly humorous in some places, and yet totally out of the box bizarre throughout. I think I really liked it overall, but I'm still sort of in shock from it. LOL

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^The best thing about This Is The End is Emma Watson's cameo.

Last watched: Pompeii. Lawd-a-mercy, it is GLORIOUS. And by "glorious" I mean, "Cheesy, over-the-top, tropey, predictable, with horrendous dialogue and paper-thin characterisations, but Look Over Here at the Action Scene! And now Look Over Here at the Volcano!" This has been on my list since I learned of its existence; Kit Harington hitting people with swords while shirtless + THINGS ON FIRE = not a hard sell for me at all. It does not take itself seriously in the slightest, which I appreciated. I'd be annoyed over the damsel-in-distress who is less than useless and gets objectified by a creepy, evil older man (Kiefer Sutherland, who is hated by EVERYONE in this movie--no everyone), but, well, it's Emily Browning. That's her go-to move at this point. Soon as I found out she was in it, I started expecting that.

As for everyone else: I need to see Jessica Lucas in more things. I liked her part way better in the Evil Dead remake (of which my opinion has improved considerably, by the way), but she is wasted in this. As were Carrie Anne Moss and Jared Harris. I enjoyed seeing a supportive and close-knit family dynamic in a movie like this--was not expecting that, very pleasant surprise--but GOD they are boring. You need to do something about that, Hollywood--create a happy family dynamic that doesn't come across as boring. Lastly: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (that's Mr. Eko to the Lost fans in the room) is also fabulous and needs to be in more things.

I want this DVD for Christmas.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Eyre. I find it hilarious that the girl who played Jane was supposed to be "plain". Hollywood has weird ideas about what that means.

I've never finished the novel, though I knew the rough idea of the story. I am not encouraged to read the novel. I hated Mr. Rochester. He gave me a serious case of the willies!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Cranky, he gets a clue when his house burns down and he's blinded for a year or so. :)

Watching Blood Glacier with half an eye while I do other stuff. Lordy, this is a stinker. The dubbing is horrendous. If you want to watch a cheesy Global Warming Apocalypse movie, I recommend The Last Winter. It's not great, but it's tons better than this dreck.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Rob The Mob bad title, but hey it rhymes and it's an accurate title for this true story in Queens. Michael Pitt, Bully, Boardwalk Empire, and the one he did with Eva Green, can't think of the name, is a good actor. As with a lot of true stories tho, it didn't really fit into the III Act structure. But worth a look for sure. Ray Romano and a few familiar faces show up; including the mafia mainstays from Sopranos and other mob stories.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
REALLY looking forward to Maze Runner.

Ended up seeing Gravity the other day. Thought it was very entertaining. Non-stop, edge of the seat action that made the movie fly by. I couldn't believe how quickly it was over.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We finally watched Captain America 2.

Bleh.

It was like a 2-1/2 hour ep of the TV series, with explosions. We got tired of the TV series after 6 eps. I'm not much of a Captain America fan, but the Mr is. We both thought the first movie was better. :(

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Prophecy. I never get sick of Christopher Walken chewing up the scenery as Gabriel, and Viggo slouching around and being generally creepy.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
The Prophecy. I never get sick of Christopher Walken chewing up the scenery as Gabriel, and Viggo slouching around and being generally creepy.

AH I need to see this!! I somehow only just heard of it last month, and it shot to the top of my Watch List so fast. If only I could find it. . .

(Disclaimer: Rhoda does not approve of illegal streaming/file sharing and will DELETE and IGNORE any offers to watch said film this way if they appear in her inbox. I will make my own way, thank you kindly.)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AH I need to see this!! I somehow only just heard of it last month, and it shot to the top of my Watch List so fast. If only I could find it. . .

(Disclaimer: Rhoda does not approve of illegal streaming/file sharing and will DELETE and IGNORE any offers to watch said film this way if they appear in her inbox. I will make my own way, thank you kindly.)

Be of good cheer, Rhoda! (At least if you have Netflix) It's on there right now. That's how I watched it last night. :)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Pacific Rim. DH and I started it yesterday. I fell asleep through some of it. But we stopped at about 97 mins and continued today. Was pretty darn sleepy again. Can't say I cared for it. There was some sorta kinda cool stuff, but for the most part, bad acting, cliche scenes, and muffled dialogue (unless that was just us, but I swear we couldn't understand about 75% of what was being said). The two scientist guys were just so stupid and their voices annoyed the hell out of me.

Yeah. Didn't care for it at all.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
American Buffalo written by David Mamet, with Dustin Hoffman and Dennis Franz. This was done on Broadway with Pacino in the Hoffman role. The director, Corrente, got tired of waiting for Al to accept the movie gig so he cast Dustin. In a bio that I read on Al, he was quoted as saying that he only takes a job after he's worn down, when he gets tired of saying, No. I can see how Pacino's portrayal would have been great, but Dustin is good in this! Mamet's staccato, ironic dialogue is unmistakable. Would recommend!