The Legend of Korra

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Was it me, or did the writers make a horrible mistake to NOT take Korra's powers away?

It would have reset the avatar training, forced her to find new ways and even have her learn non-bending ways of fighting.
Yeah, I thought that too. Though it would be too early. We are still in the "fun and games" part of the series, with the tournament and stuff. The impact of her losing her powers will be greater after we have got to know her more, and become accustomed to her using them to fix all problems. There will surely be more depressive parts later. I'm sure Kora will lose her ability for a while, sooner or later. I would bet on it.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder why they're being so quick with the romance this time around. I say they handle it in a more harem anime way.

If I had to guess, it's mostly because they were already deep into production when they got the green light for Book Two. So Book One was created to be a standalone arc of 13 episodes.

Although, if this is all that's happened in five episodes, I can't wait to see what goes down in the next eight.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, also, it seems like they're writing these people like real people, not romantic comedy cliches. Maybe this is just me, but...I've never had an experience where I didn't know that someone liked me, because people TEND to be fairly obvious when they like someone else, ya know? So, everyone seems to be at the very least AWARE of their feelings.

They may not ACT on those feelings in a mature way, but at least they try.

It's a really refreshing change of pace from endless second guessing, "Does he really like me!? I don't know, let me set up deliberate misunderstandings to create hijinx for the next twenty episodes!" sort of stuff.

Maybe that's just me.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Bryke needs to do a spin-off buddy cop comedy with Korra and Beifong. Like right now.

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This show makes me so happy. I'm always amazed with how much they fit into each episode--never a dull moment--and it's killing me to have to wait at least a week between them. Plus, whether you love them or hate them, a lot of the characters are very well realized.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched the last episode yet so I'm doing a nice "lalala not listening" thing, but I just wanted to say I FREAKING LOVE THIS SHOW.

I honestly think I'm enjoying it better than the first series, which blows my mind. And I've already picked nerdy Halloween costumes for me and the SO. Can we say Amon and a chi-blocker, anyone? We're gonna have fun walking down the street and scaring little children.*

*I feel the need to clarify that I'm actually a very nice person who loves little children.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, I mean...I'm watching the old series again and...well, it's still amazing, but in terms of storytelling complexity, characters and art, Korra is slightly better than the second season of Avatar.

It REALLY helps that the whole show so far has been written by the creators, so it's REALLY tight and well done.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how they're going to wrap things up in four more episodes. I seem to remember them saying somewhere that these first 13 episodes were supposed to be it for the series before Nick renewed them for another one.

Ah, I'm so in love with (among everything else) the pacing. It's like watching a superbly written YA novel.

Saturdays need to get here sooner. :e2bouncey

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Very Wow so far...

Anyone trying to guess who Amon is yet?
I'm stuck between two characters: one a bender, one a nonbender. Both seem plausible.

(If I missed the big reveal, don't tell me! I'm awaiting a marathon to watch them all in one sitting. Talk about a good day!)

Amazing characters, great musical themes, and WHOA storylines. (Someone tell me why I just channeled Joey from Blossom... *shrug*)

Favorite episode from Original series:
"Cave of the Two Lovers"

Especially for one line:
"Sokka, why's your forehead so red?"

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
The pacing is amazing. There's very little I would trim. (The old series, while fun, would've made total sense with more than a few episodes missing.)

I'm still holding out hope that Zuko will eventually appear on Korra. According to the rules of Avatar, all old guys are inherently awesome. Zuko was cool before, but now that he's in his 80's, he should be the best character in the series. (Honestly, I think I just miss Iroh and I'm hoping Zuko picked up some of his uncle's quirks in his old age.)

It's also driving me crazy that Korra can't talk to Aang. I know why she can't and it wouldn't be any fun if she could do everything all at once, but the random flashbacks are like the creators teasing the audience: "Ha-ha, we know something you don't know!"

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I just love the fact that they've made Korra and Aang really distinctive, both with unique challenges. Aang had a...huge, but relatively straightforward issue: The Fire Nation is conquering the world. Go fix that. But he was supposed to be a pacifist monk (albeit one who hadn't really mastered the whole "being wise" part due to the fact that he was...ya know...twelve, something I've only recently noticed: A lot of his supposedly "wise" sayings, especially early on, really seem to just be self serving excuses to do what he wants. Which makes SENSE for a freakin twelve year old!)

But, while Aang had the whole meditation and spirituality thing down pat, Korra is this awesomely physical girl...and so what do they do?

They give her a horrendously complex social problem that CAN'T be solved through sheer force!

I LOVE IT!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Have they aired a new episode since Aftermath? I've been watching it online, and I haven't checked in a couple of days, but last I checked, I couldn't find a new episode or a preview for a new episode. (It was the lack of preview that made me wonder if there were a hiatus. I don't know how Nick schedules their stuff.)

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Avatar, but I'm enjoying Korra even more.

Many years ago, when I first started reading a certain manga series, I thought there were hints of a future war between the "normal" characters and those who had special abilities. That didn't happen in that series. When Korra was announced, and the plot was revealed, I was really excited to finally get that storyline I wanted years ago (albeit in a different series). Thus far, I haven't been disappointed.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Have they aired a new episode since Aftermath? I've been watching it online, and I haven't checked in a couple of days, but last I checked, I couldn't find a new episode or a preview for a new episode. (It was the lack of preview that made me wonder if there were a hiatus. I don't know how Nick schedules their stuff.)

Yes, episode 8.

Ahhh, I still love Korra! Just great.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Zoombie, spot on! I've been highly, highly impressed, and I love the complexity going on here.

And I'm someone else holding out hope for Zuko. He was my favorite character in the last one, and we haven't heard word one of him yet. Which you think we would have considering last he heard, wasn't he Fire Lord?

Okay, I might have missed this in the first few pages if it's been discussed, but does anyone else think Mako's resemblance to Zuko can't be just coincidence? I swear they're related somehow, but I'm not quite sure how. Have to be, though.

Also, I'm intrigued by the fact that the brothers bend different elements. The easy explanation is that their mom was an earth bender and their father a fire bender, or something of that sort, right? Though I'm honestly wondering if they're really blood brothers or if we're going to find out (perhaps as a result of the potentially related to Zuko thing) that Mako is adopted. Or they could be related through Zuko's mother somehow.

I'm just rambling now. I love this show! I need more than twelve episodes. :tongue

Kyra Wright

Skulduggery and haberdashery
Registered
Reaction score
A few observations, not necessarily related to each other, but simply things I've been thinking about:

All of the members of the United Republic Council are benders. There are no members to specifically represent non-benders. During the first few episodes, I wondered if that was going to be brought up in the show itself. Now, with Tarrlok's actions, I'm still wondering, and hoping that it might come up at some point.

Despite the way the world's changed since Avatar, firebenders still seem to be bit problematic for everyone else. Mako and Bolins' parents were killed by one, Asami's mother was killed by one, Amon's family was killed by one (if his story is true), and the leader of the Triple Threat Triads was a firebender. The more things change, the more they stay the same?

I'm glad to see that the Equalists can match benders in combat (most of the time), are a genuine threat, and have a genuine cause.

Lastly, I love Bolin.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
According to IMDB and Bryke, Dante Basco does provide some voice work for this Book. Whether or not it will be as Zuko though, they're being rather cagey about.

I really hope it's Zuko. And I really hope he's turned out like Iroh.

As far as Mako resembling Zuko, I'm just going to chalk that up to art style (that's just how they draw good looking firebenders) than actual relation. UNLESS Azula grew up and married an Earth Bender (OMG Haru and his epic mustache!). That would be better than Mako being some long lost prince.

Ok, Azula + Haru = Mako & Bolin is my new head canon. Nothing Bryke does in the show will convince me otherwise.