Way to go, Brangelina!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey look, this only means anything at all to lesbians and gay men!

I think the point here (subtext, if you will) is that they had claimed they would never marry until every other American had the same right. Guess they got tired of waiting. Which is fine for them, but there are still many, many folks who still can't...

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Hmm, I hadn't heard of this at all, before or now.

I think it's hunky-dory for opposite-sex couples to marry. What makes me uncomfortable here, if it's true as reported, is that they made not getting married into a statement in favor of gay rights and then went back on it. Unfairly or not, it makes it feel frustratingly like they got a publicity stunt out of another demographic's real civil rights fight and then pranced out of things when standing by their word was no longer sufficiently convenient. Which makes the cause they had made the statement about seem not very important to them at all.

If you want to marry, just get married. Don't link your marriage to another group's struggles and then go back on what you said. And if you made a rash statement you later regret, for goodness sake handle the publicity better so you don't damage the cause you linked yourself to when you renege.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I thought I remembered them saying something along those lines a while back. It's a shame no media source is calling them out on it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just say here that erasing a person's very name to make it part of some mashed together name seems very dehumanizing to me?

His name is Brad. Her name is Angelina. They are two unique people not some conglomerate where their very names are subsumed.

Regardless of what one thinks of their actions, human beings don't deserve to be erased from their very names.

TThis isn't directed at BenPanced, just at the phenomena in general.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then again, they aren't particularly known for sticking to anything they vow about marriage when it's no longer convenient for them, are they?

Oh well. Brad's gotten henpecked and wears entirely too many cranial accessories these days. Lollipop Head can have him!

So there.

Sour Grapes Bat

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I thought I remembered them saying something along those lines a while back. It's a shame no media source is calling them out on it.

THIS.

It's sad that they dropped that stipulation. It seems in extremely bad taste. Makes me wish they didn't bother to make such promises to begin with. Did they throw their hands in the air and say, 'fuck it!' Did they even think of the weight their decision would have?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Agreed. It was 2006 they made that pronouncement. Hollywood.com had a piece calling them on it, but that's all I've really found so far. http://www.hollywood.com/news/celeb...s-engagement-lets-gay-americans-down?page=all

And People had this: http://www.people.com/article/brad-pitt-angelina-jolie-marriage-quotes

I'm really disappointed in what they did. Seems like they got tired fo working for a cause? Pitt said their kids were putting pressure on them. So? If you're committed enough to say something like they did in 06, then explain to your kids when they're old enough that Mommy and Daddy feel very strongly about this subject, so this is what we're doing and why.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So tired of these show-offs.

Jennifer A.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I wonder how long it'll last? Seriously.

I heard an interview with Brad Pitt on Fresh Air a year or so ago, and he commented there that they wouldn't be getting married until everyone could. I remember my respect increased for him at that time, not because I believed that all straight couples should forgo marriage (I'm straight married), but because it was nice to hear that someone so privileged had decided to make a personal sacrifice as a show of solidarity.

Assuming it really was a personal sacrifice and just them not marrying because they didn't really want to yet.

So now my respect for them has decreased again.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like Angelina, I feel she's pretentious, a show-off, does everything just for publicity and not because she's kind, isn't even pretty...
...and I'm probably completely misjudging her and I should not make such assumptions about another human being.

But my barely 20 year-old (immature? fangirl?) self from back then never forgave her for destroying Pitt/Aniston...

I wish them luck.

I remember their statement... I figured they just realised that the wait could be a bit longer and they finally wanted to get married?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think she's got a strange looking mouth too, but eh, to each their own.

This is yet another example of why it's probably just a good idea to pay no mind at all to the personal lives of celebrities. Just because someone is good looking or makes movies you admire doesn't mean they have an enviable life in other ways.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
While it seems disrespectful to the LGBT crowd for Pitt and Jolie to go back on their word, the thing to remember is that they're human, fallible like everyone else, and they'll have to deal with the fallout of their pronouncment, if there is any.

The other thing to think about is that Jolie recently had a double mastectomy, and perhaps feels that pull of death that claimed her mother at a relatively early age. I'm only speculating here, but maybe she wants that kind of 'permanence' ostensibly offered by a marriage vow to kick back at the disease that took some of her flesh away.

As for those sniping at her looks, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, yes? I never thought she was that attractive, but certainly not ugly. And she's worked hard to become IMO a first-rate actress. So them's my thoughts.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I think the point here (subtext, if you will) is that they had claimed they would never marry until every other American had the same right. Guess they got tired of waiting. Which is fine for them, but there are still many, many folks who still can't...

While I appreciate what has been said here, and while I do remember the comments from the time they were made, I also have to understand that this was a personal decision between them and really shouldn't be open to public speculation. Yes, I understand how it contradicts things they have said in the past, but surely the point here is that two people who love each other got married. It shouldn't be some political or social statement.

While it seems disrespectful to the LGBT crowd for Pitt and Jolie to go back on their word, the thing to remember is that they're human, fallible like everyone else, and they'll have to deal with the fallout of their pronouncment, if there is any.

This.

As for those sniping at her looks, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, yes? I never thought she was that attractive, but certainly not ugly. And she's worked hard to become IMO a first-rate actress. So them's my thoughts.

I have to say that I've been pretty disappointed about the comments on her appearance both here and in other places. It's petty, it's nasty, it's spiteful and it's completely uncalled for.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I agree with Shaldna, with the caveat that if they didn't want it to be a political thing they shouldn't have made it one in the first place. People can be disappointed but snipping about either of their apearence is just petty, and downright nasty.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With the things some people take it upon themselves to be highly offended over and scold other posters about lately, it's a wonder they make it through a day in the real world, lol.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
With the things some people take it upon themselves to be highly offended over and scold other posters about lately, it's a wonder they make it through a day in the real world, lol.

How does someone saying that they find snipping about a celebretities appearence nasty and petty, mean they're taking it on themselves to be highly offended? Personally I'm not offended by who it's directed at, could care less. I just find the idea that anyone thinks picking at someones appearence is ok tacky. And I would say the same if it was an average person as well. It's just bad manners to me.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And correcting/insulting peers who are right here, for making a comment you don't personally approve of about a Hollywood movie star is good manners, then? The hall monitor stuff is getting a little silly here lately, imo. But whatevs, carry on.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And correcting/insulting peers who are right here, for making a comment you don't personally approve of about a Hollywood movie star is good manners, then? The hall monitor stuff is getting a little silly here lately, imo. But whatevs, carry on.

If you don't like it you're always free to message a mod or report the posts you feel are too "hall monitor" like. I can't speak for Shaldna, but I did add the caveat that they shouldn't of made their marriage political if they didn't want it to be. Their going back on their promise to the community has nothing to do with how either of them looks though. I think snipping about someone's appearence is just tacky periode, no matter the person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.