Fantasy in Urban Fantasy?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Perfectly meta question here, but assuming your urban fantasy was set in a world without a masquerade, would fantasy still be a genre? Would it still be fantasy?
Would it be that fantasy as a genre would actually refer to books set in worlds without magic?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
My MC (this one is an epic not an urban though) has a collection of books set on Earth that he believes to be a fantasy series set on a made up world. His favourite is Sherlock Holmes.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Urban fantasy sort of relies on the cultural clash between our existing reality and a fantasy one, so I don't know that it could exist on a different planet. I think it would drop into either the fantasy or science fiction (depending on how advanced the science in the alien cities is...)

Although, that said, it would be a fun experiment to try. :)

Moriar

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question! My first response would be that each world would be different, so yes, there could a fantasy genre in one, but not in another (if you know what I mean). Also, fantasy could include either the "non-magic" fantasy (which is a branch of Earth fantasy too, by the way!), or maybe a genre for all thos myths and legends and creatures that are fantastical for their world (ie: if that world has werewolves but not unicorns, a story about unicorns would still be a "fantasy", right?).

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
My MC (this one is an epic not an urban though) has a collection of books set on Earth that he believes to be a fantasy series set on a made up world. His favourite is Sherlock Holmes.

I love that! :D Who wouldn't love Sherlock Holmes? Puts me in mind of Captain Shakespeare.

What do you mean "without a masquerade"?

I mean that everyone knows magic and magical creatures exist rather than them being a secret world unto themselves. It's a term I got from TVtropes, so excuse me if it isn't exactly from the industry dictionary. ;) I haven't seen an awful lot of UF like this, though, so I can't even give you an example. :) Sorry. I'm sure there's some out there, though...

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly meta question here, but assuming your urban fantasy was set in a world without a masquerade, would fantasy still be a genre? Would it still be fantasy?
Would it be that fantasy as a genre would actually refer to books set in worlds without magic?

Great thought. Great concept. Along the same lines, people in China don't call it 'Chinese food'. They call it 'food'.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen an awful lot of UF like this, though, so I can't even give you an example. :) Sorry. I'm sure there's some out there, though...

Illona Andrews books fall under this idea. The Kate Daniels series everyone knows about vampires and shapeshifters, etc.