XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I be a tool and break up with him over email? Is there some kind of 8 day rule?

You wouldn't be the first to break up with someone via email. And considering how little you've gone out, I don't think in this case it's out of the question.

If you'd been involved with him for a couple of years or something, then I think you'd at least owe him a phone call.... but email ought to be sufficient here I think.

:)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Bos, but I'll give you my 2 cents, anyway. :)

So you reduced the phone calls that much to give him a hint that he's not taking? (If I'm misunderstanding, sorry.)

If he's not getting that big of a hint you'll just have to be the brave one and bring it up. Say something like, "I feel like I'm getting a vibe here that you want to be more than friends. I just wanted you to know that while I value our friendship, I don't see you as more than that."

That gives him the ability to pretend he has no idea what your talking about, thus saving face. Even though you both secretly know what he was hedging for. :)

Edit: And if he keeps pushing, what Bos said. Direct and to the point. And if he doesn't respect you enough to leave you alone about it then, then you shouldn't worry so much about being tactful.

Omg, I so wish I could use that. Sadly, he asked if we were exclusive on the second date. Though I had doubts this was going to last, I said yes because I had no plans to juggle guys.

Dire.

So, direct With minimal tact. Got it.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*must force self to study* I can do it! *must force self to study*

Im supposed to be sleeping. Unplug the internet if you want to get a good grade.

You wouldn't be the first to break up with someone via email. And considering how little you've gone out, I don't think in this case it's out of the question.

If you'd been involved with him for a couple of years or something, then I think you'd at least owe him a phone call.... but email ought to be sufficient here I think.

Ohhh so there is an 8 day rule? Does it still apply after stupid exclusive talk?

Oh, and Bugz- I have started reducing the calls, but given the short time frame its not that obvious to most hopefull folks.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Omg, I so wish I could use that. Sadly, he asked if we were exclusive on the second date. Though I had doubts this was going to last, I said yes because I had no plans to juggle guys.

Dire.

Oh gotcha. I second Bos's recs then. Either direct, or since only a couple of dates have transpired, email.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Email means I dont have to confront on phone. I like this plan.

Meanwhile I am off to bed. If anyone else has ideas, do chime in :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Next time, the answer to this is "Well, I'm not dating anyone else at the moment."

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I have no idea what this 8 day rule is, or is not.

But I am resigned to being clueless about such things anyway, anymore.

*strengthens resolve to live life of monastic hermitage*

:D

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Bos is right. It's got to be like an amputation. Quick, clean and final. You don't have to be cruel, but it has to be absolutely clear what the intentions are. Stringing things along just makes it longer and painful for everyone involved.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Psst, the krackling is a girl.
Oops, I blame grading student essays on the pronoun mistake. It's safer than the truth, I like my fingers right where they are, attached to my hands.

I hope not. I created it in innocence! Pure mistype-ing innocence. Blame the evil iphone if it is sentient.

Wait, has anyone actually gone into the center of the dong garden to see if it's sentient?

I don't know. Seems to me that most people wouldn't get that far, I figure they'd get distracted long before arriving. And after the distraction, probably wouldn't have the energy to continue.

I've got a beer, Cantina. Watch out. :D

One beer? The guys in my small town high school called that a cheap date. Yes, they were not nice folks. Big hairy dairy farmers they were. My neighbor had to shave twice a day at 14.

*must force self to study* I can do it! *must force self to study*
I'm a teacher. Get off the nets until you finish your homework, young...lady? (I'm guessing at the moment, I haven't looked at your profile yet. Slap me if I guess wrong.)

Oh I gotcha. I second Bos's recs then. Either direct, or since only a couple of dates have transpired, email.
I vote for Bos's recs as well. You can try the "let's just be friends" thing. Most guys I know interpret that as "I don't want to see you anymore" anyway. But if that doesn't work, then yes, in the long run, direct is good. Ouchy for a while, but the dust settles fairly quickly.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This should not be a consideration here, given what the goal is. If he thinks you're an ass, he won't call. :D

Just be tactful, but direct.

Yep. The goals are:
1) leave no room for misunderstanding or "wiggle room"; if he's that clingy and clueless, saying "I just want to be friends for now" is like saying, "you're ALMOST THERE!"

and
2) say it in such a way that YOU can live with it. Whether or not he can live with it is his own problem; you don't have enough commitment or history to owe him more than that.

I had one like that once ("Mr. I Hate All Food") and even being blunt (blunt for me, which is like stapling-a-nuclear-bomb-to-someone's-face unsubtle for anyone else) it took a few months for the phone calls to finally cease. Stand firm and he'll go away eventually.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to turn off the computer and go to bed now, because if I don't, I am going to go all face-eating-chimp on someone elsewhere on AW. :rant:

Why did I wander out of the Cantina? Why?

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Dang, now I'm gonna have to go looking.

Wait. I hope it isn't me. I better check what I've said. I kinda like my face. Boring as it is.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Fen. Tell him straight. Men don't do subtle. At all. Never.
You'll know when you've got the right guy, you'll feel it.

Now, what am I doing today? I feel like I'm operating at Garfield level at the moment. Do you think it's ok to read all day? I have a library book of Apocalypse SF short stories, and I feel the urge to watch the world being blown-up, melted-down and eaten all day.

Perhaps I should have breakfast first.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Morning cantinas :Sun:

Fen. Tell him straight. Men don't do subtle. At all. Never.
You'll know when you've got the right guy, you'll feel it.

Now, what am I doing today? I feel like I'm operating at Garfield level at the moment. Do you think it's ok to read all day? I have a library book of Apocalypse SF short stories, and I feel the urge to watch the world being blown-up, melted-down and eaten all day.

Perhaps I should have breakfast first.

1. After long thought, I agree that the tell him straight is probably best. I will disagree that men don't do subtle. We do subtle, it's just different. See, for men, piss off is subtle. Intonation is very important here, it can mean anything from, not now, I'm busy to say another word and one of us will be lying on the floor and it ain't gonna be me. You gotta catch the intonation.

Non subtle is skipping all the preliminaries and getting down to business.

2. Any day is a good day to read apocalypse short stories. I do recommend the breakfast first. You need your calories for the excitement. Death and destruction takes a lot out of you. Especially if it is done properly. Who are you reading?

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Who are you reading?
It is the 'Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF', edited by Mike Ashley. Twenty-four short stories by people like Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, Cory Doctorow, Robert Silverberg, Elizabeth Bear and someone called 'many more', who seems to feature on covers a lot but never makes it to the inside. When I grow up I might use that as my pen name - hmm, uses WP, should it be a keyboard name?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Dire.

:Jaw: He asked that on the SECOND date? Why didn't you run then? Hell even in crazy-get-married-at-19-Mormon-culture that's pushing it. But yes, everything that everyone else is saying. And if he gets really annoying, don't be afraid to tell him that he *reeks* of desperation.

Why did I wander out of the Cantina? Why?

It always seems like such a good idea at first, doesn't it. You think, "Hey what's everyone else doing out there?" So you wander out and realize that you were right all along in thinking that the world is mostly full of idiots.

But, it's good to have this reminder every once in a while. Makes you appricate all the good things you have. *:e2arms: Cantina*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I havent told the half of the reeky desperation, just the worst. Oi. People are sad.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
It always seems like such a good idea at first, doesn't it. You think, "Hey what's everyone else doing out there?" So you wander out and realize that you were right all along in thinking that the world is mostly full of idiots.

But, it's good to have this reminder every once in a while. Makes you appricate all the good things you have. *:e2arms: Cantina*

See, I don't think the world is full of idiots. I KNOW. It is a fact of nature. Someone has to get eaten.

Unfortunately, too many of the idiots take non-idiots with them when they decide to be someone's lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.