Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Marble Hornets does a pretty good job of not being TOO shaky, and in bits and pieces so it's easier to take when it does. Its sort of an ARG - there are some theoretical interactive elements - but it stands without them, too.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
It's really well done. I'm actually really excited now--that's a Slenderman movie I could get into. Marble Hornets is my 3rd favorite web series of all time.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
^Which 70s films specifically are you thinking of, just out of curiosity?

A certain one with Cannibal in the title...

Which isn't easy viewing for the subject matter, but has some wonderful little moments that the "amateur footage" has never matched (there's a certain shot which pans, tilts, then does a hidden jump cut), but there are at least three or four of those kinds of films which aren't so visceral.

And the early 90s' The Last Broadcast has a lot better cinematography as well, owing a big debt to the seventies school.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
NO. Fuck that movie--they killed animals in it. For reals. I don't care how quintessential it is now, that's not cool.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
NO. Fuck that movie--they killed animals in it. For reals. I don't care how quintessential it is now, that's not cool.

I hear ya on that, but... It isn't as if it is the same as one of the Guinea Pig movies. There's a quality difference in there.

And there are a lot of films made pre-1970 which are considered solidly mainstream, and shown in film schools, regularly on television, and discussed at length in terms of "classic" which have much worse animal abuses.

It also isn't as if we are talking about The Twilight Zone, either, for which they killed kids to get a scene (which didn't make it into the final cut, granted, but still)...

1 is The Joker Blogs. Because I'm *that* kind of nerd.

2 is That Guy With the Glasses in general; Diamanda Hagan's movie reviews in particular. Because she's awesome.

SFDebris' videos are the only ones which regularly make me snort whatever I am drinking out of my nose - for that, the videos rate higher than That Guy With The Glasses.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got nothing to chip in here on either of these conversations.

I don't watch webseries (bcs, seriously, where the heck do I find the TIME)...

And I have no idea which films we are talking about.

Other than the Twilight Zone. But pretty sure that was an accident, not on purpose.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Other than the Twilight Zone. But pretty sure that was an accident, not on purpose.

Not an accident - reckless endangerment by an idiot who had been warned repeatedly of the safety concerns. There is an extensive report about that shambles of a film.

And now I really want to watch Combat! for my Morrow fix.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not an accident - reckless endangerment by an idiot who had been warned repeatedly of the safety concerns. There is an extensive report about that shambles of a film.

Granted, but reckless endangerment is still a long ways from a deliberate act.

Also, is this the 'copter accident, or a different one?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
And there are a lot of films made pre-1970 which are considered solidly mainstream, and shown in film schools, regularly on television, and discussed at length in terms of "classic" which have much worse animal abuses.

It also isn't as if we are talking about The Twilight Zone, either, for which they killed kids to get a scene (which didn't make it into the final cut, granted, but still)...

And every time I find out about this sort of thing happening, I boycott it regardless of "quality." Because seriously, fuck that. Not cool. No "art" is worth that.

Not familiar with SFDebris--I'll have to check him out.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, but reckless endangerment is still a long ways from a deliberate act.

YMMV on the degree of guilt he shoulders. No art should harm people to that degree - and really, if I was gonna place myself in danger, it would have to be for something worth it, not a cheesy and predictable horror flick that had no right costing as much as that did.

Also, is this the 'copter accident, or a different one?

Yeah. The same.

It wasn't a one-off though - he has a history of placing actors and stuntmen in dangerous situations and standing back.

And every time I find out about this sort of thing happening, I boycott it regardless of "quality."

I'm not gonna spoil cinema classics for you, but you might want to read up on Hollywood history before indulging in classic B&W films...

Not familiar with SFDebris--I'll have to check him out.

He is awesome. He's the reason Captain Archer is so mocked, and why Janeway has become a memetic badass. :D

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not gonna spoil cinema classics for you, but you might want to read up on Hollywood history before indulging in classic B&W films...
No, go ahead, if you have any in mind--or PM me if you don't want to spoil anyone else, I guess. Real animals being really harmed for a scene pisses me off like little else. . . Although somewhat less so if all the people involved are dead now. (But only somewhat.)

He is awesome. He's the reason Captain Archer is so mocked, and why Janeway has become a memetic badass. :D

Don't know any of those names yet either--I should probably add that I didn't start following internet review shows until like a year and a half ago. I have a lot of catching up to do. It's a hell of a slush pile, so thanks for the pointer. ;) Although, I do get the impression that Hagan is in a class by herself. She reviews almost anything, but she does it as a trigger-happy super villain, and she's REAL hammy.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Real animals being really harmed for a scene pisses me off like little else. . . Although somewhat less so if all the people involved are dead now. (But only somewhat.)

Not so much the injury or deaths of animals which gets to me...

The vast majority of EPIC films had very loose safety concerns (there is one film where a number of extras nearly drowned because nobody gave a damn about little things like, y'know, making the set safe or anything), and even up until the sixties - High Jungle, for one - it wasn't uncommon for actors to be placed in situations which insurers would go nuts at. At least three or four westerns had horses shot during the making of the films that I know of (someone better acquainted with the coded "inside gossip" features of the 40s and 50s would probably discern a lot more).

At least things have improved since 1910/1911, when the deaths of actors (I think the thing I'm recalling was a child drowning, but it has been a while...) was advertised on posters as a reason to see a certain film.

Not sure if you know about the "lets prop up the metal sliding door with a bit of wood" story from the late 80s (or early 90s), but - and this is really icky - a make-up woman was walking through the set when the door fell on her, slicing off her face. THIS is why I spend so much time obsessed with cinema. Others just see the facade, and think making films is some kind of fun, trivial pastime - I can see the utter horror of the whole industry.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang. :)

(heh. Sheep-bunny. Still awesome.)

Good news: I've gotten over the semi-regular I Suck At Writing WAAAAAH angsty time I was dealing with last week, and I've got a couple manuscripts to work with again. Trying to revise/edit instead of starting from scratch right now.

Bad news: My favorite band on Earth just broke up. Not as huge a shock as it could've been, to be honest, but...fuck. :cry:

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I love how you toss these titles out like they mean anything to anyone. Sometimes I swear you're just making them up as you go along and hoping none of us call you on it.

A Rawhide fan would know that film instantly. :tongue

Bad news: My favorite band on Earth just broke up.

Are we gonna get a clue, or do I have to check through the last couple of days of news updates to find the story? *cringes at that prospect*

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Are we gonna get a clue, or do I have to check through the last couple of days of news updates to find the story? *cringes at that prospect*

Sorry--My Chemical Romance. It was after midnight for me when you posted that.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
I haven't seen the old Combat series in quite some time. Time for me to go look it up when I have the chance.

That Twilight Zone accident was quite the scandal for awhile as I recall. Though I have seen a LOT of the old Rawhide episodes I can't quite recall the movie being referred to there.

The Poseidon Adventure and Towering Inferno were widely rumored to have suffered, ahm, "incidents" which placed actors, stuntmen, and others in danger of at least serious injury.

The old film Suspiria was widely rumored to have had an entire series of incidents occur during its making and many suspected it might have had something to do with the rumored use of a real human skin drum in some of the music as well as its thematic materials.

There are reasons why there's a little notice at the end of most movies today regarding the harming of animals during the making of the film. There were even rumors that some of the chimps in Project X with Matthew Broderick were mistreated in one manner or another.

I don't find it surprising that some directors more or less look the other way regarding stunts and safety. Remember, there are directors and actors who have been accused of murder and gotten away with it (one of them being one of my favorite directors). It's called a "God complex" and a lot of actors and actresses today seem to acquire it by by Hollywood osmosis (who is any one of them to call me a "heartless motherf%$ker" just because of whatever - who made them my judge?).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Been kinda quiet in here?

Very, very quiet...

Enough to make me wonder what everyone is plotting.

Ah. Now, I didn't know about that. :(

And I am still completely blanking the news services, as they seem intent on depressing me.

I haven't seen the old Combat series in quite some time.

There are a few episodes online - not the cream of the crop, as far as I have seen, but passable episodes (even the worst of the series is better than the best of other series of the time).

Though I have seen a LOT of the old Rawhide episodes I can't quite recall the movie being referred to there.

It was the film which Eric Fleming was filming when he drowned. :(

Man, of all the actors... that guy never got the big break he deserved, and to drown while shooting such a shitty film - it really is a shame. The mess was meant to be a return to the things which, ten or so years earlier, Bogey would have filmed, but the script wasn't tight enough, and the budget was nowhere near enough.

Remember, there are directors and actors who have been accused of murder and gotten away with it (one of them being one of my favorite directors).

There's a few really shocking accounts on the findadeath forum, including one Hollywood star who beat a man to death then had it covered up by the studio - ah, the good old days... No way I am repeating the allegations here though - but I believe every word of it.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love how you toss these titles out like they mean anything to anyone. Sometimes I swear you're just making them up as you go along and hoping none of us call you on it.

:D
:roll: So I'm not the only one who thought this.

Bummer. I like them. Are they going on to do other things?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: So I'm not the only one who thought this.

Consider this - if just one or two of you go look up a film I make a casual reference of, then find a copy, you might go on to recommend it to a friend. This spreading of cultural awareness slowly (in some cases very, very slowly) raises the profile of neglected classics, or simply damn good flicks, which for whatever reason are now relegated to footnotes in cinema history. This constant bombardment of old films I put out there is to get people to watch them, because... well, you should try - just pick something I mention off-hand and sit through the first fifteen minutes. Only by constantly doing this (here and elsewhere) have I any hope whatsoever of finally holding a remastered copy in my hands - when people see a film and spread the word, film distributors might pay attention. And I really, really do love those old movies.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me wrong, BW. You mention a lot of interesting movies and I applaud you for that. Truly. And I have, on several occasions, followed after to look them up. Occasionally I can find them. Though not often.

Honestly? I'm just super jealous you have such a long list of titles you can quote from and recommend. Heck, even the ones you don't recommend--just to have the in depth commentary you do have on so many films is mind-blowing to me. Definitely different than I'd find in any mainstream movie reviewing site. :tongue Or worse--some automated "if you like this, you'll like this" widget or formula.

Actually, it reminds me of something I think about often. Today, I think there is too much emphasis put on things like that when it comes to movies, books, music. I think personal recommendations should still speak louder. I often feel this way about radio DJs. Well, good ones. We have a couple here that just seem to nail it for me every time. Much better than any automated service or program does by "analyzing" my patterns.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
But BW, sometimes your links are scary! You're asking us to go out Googling? That's downright terrifying!

(And I say that in my sarcastic voice--raising awareness about old, obscure movies is awesome. Ta.)

@soapy: Dunno. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Gerard becomes a full-time comic book artist. I liked The Umbrella Academy okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.