Phone call from publisher - what questions to ask?

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just received an email from a publisher I submitted to saying they liked my MS and want to arrange a phone call. *Gulp*

I'm trying not to get too excited. They're a newish publisher, but it does look promising.

I need some help. I've no idea what to ask them, or what they may ask me.

Any advice would be welcome.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Congrats! I would definitely ask what formats my book will be in (paperback, eBook, etc.), what my percentage of sales will be (10% on paperback, 40% on eBook, etc.), what kind of distribution they have (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) and whether they will get me onto bookstore shelves, how many books they want to sign me for (stand-alone or series), and maybe a little about the owners of the company and their backgrounds. That's a start, anyway. Good luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ask if they will want any major changes to the book, and if so, what those changes are: this one might be hard for them to answer at this point, but it will give you an idea of what their vision of the book is. It's really important that you agree with your editor on this point.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I would definitely ask what formats my book will be in (paperback, eBook, etc.), what my percentage of sales will be (10% on paperback, 40% on eBook, etc.), what kind of distribution they have (Ingram, Baker & Taylor, etc.) and whether they will get me onto bookstore shelves, how many books they want to sign me for (stand-alone or series), and maybe a little about the owners of the company and their backgrounds. That's a start, anyway. Good luck!

Thank you so much, popgun62. My mind went totally blank when I read the email, these have really helped.

Ask if they will want any major changes to the book, and if so, what those changes are: this one might be hard for them to answer at this point, but it will give you an idea of what their vision of the book is. It's really important that you agree with your editor on this point.

Good point, Old Hack, thank you.

My exuberance has waned slightly. I emailed back with my phone number and received an automated response from, I think, their submissions department. I had hoped it would have gone to a personal email?

Is this how things are usually done?

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the publisher got back to me and offered me a contract. Whoo-hoo! I still have a few reservations. As I said, they are a very new company so I can’t check their record, plus they’re predominately ebooks, with an option for a printed version – I’ve always had a vision of holding my book in my hand.

My main problem is the contract, in that I haven’t a clue what I’m looking at.

I’ve spent the weekend checking contract information on line and now my head is spinning.

I know the Society of Authors and other such groups will do it free of charge once you’re a member, but just at the moment I don’t have the money for the membership fee.

Anyone know of any good sites I may have missed?

And what should I do about any subs I still have out. Do I need to notify them of the offer and that I’m considering it?

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Muse

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
You're right to be uneasy. Signing a contract without having a pro look at it is a scary thing to do. The Writers' Guild vets contracts for members, but I gather you're not a member, so that's no help. One thing you could do is try to get a literary agent on board. If you had some in mind, or if you have any subs out to agents, you could try emailing them with a header that will draw quick attention: "Have firm offer, need agent!" e.g. The best result is that you end up with both a publishing deal and representation. Even if they're not prepared to take you on, some might agree to look over the contract and advise you for a flat fee. Most agents know far more about the pitfalls and dangers than attorneys. You may not like what you hear, especially if they point out potential deal-breakers that the other side is not willing to negotiate; that will leave you with a tough decision to make. But at least you'll know what you're getting into.

If none of that works, make sure you have a good reversion clause that returns all the rights to you after a set period of time, or if the publisher goes under, or if it fails to publish your work within the agreed-upon period. That way, even if it goes bad, there's an end to it.

All this advice aside, take some time to celebrate! Someone liked your book enough to make an offer--that's a very big deal. Congrats.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't recommend Society of Authors highly enough, but understand about the money aspect.

You could start with reading this:

https://www.writersandartists.co.uk...rights-and-legal-advice/publishing-agreements

Thanks for the link PeteMC , that’s actually one of the websites I read over the weekend. Some really good advice.

I also found this one, if anyone else is interested http://www.stroppyauthor.com/p/how-to-read-publishing-contract.html Lots of reading, but it’s couched in easy to understand terms.

Thanks for the link, Little Ming, will check it out.

You're right to be uneasy. Signing a contract without having a pro look at it is a scary thing to do. The Writers' Guild vets contracts for members, but I gather you're not a member, so that's no help. One thing you could do is try to get a literary agent on board. If you had some in mind, or if you have any subs out to agents, you could try emailing them with a header that will draw quick attention: "Have firm offer, need agent!" e.g. The best result is that you end up with both a publishing deal and representation. Even if they're not prepared to take you on, some might agree to look over the contract and advise you for a flat fee. Most agents know far more about the pitfalls and dangers than attorneys. You may not like what you hear, especially if they point out potential deal-breakers that the other side is not willing to negotiate; that will leave you with a tough decision to make. But at least you'll know what you're getting into.

If none of that works, make sure you have a good reversion clause that returns all the rights to you after a set period of time, or if the publisher goes under, or if it fails to publish your work within the agreed-upon period. That way, even if it goes bad, there's an end to it.

All this advice aside, take some time to celebrate! Someone liked your book enough to make an offer--that's a very big deal. Congrats.

Some really great advice, Barbara, thanks a million. There's so many pitfalls to watch out, it's frightening.

On a side note: I emailed a couple of publisher who still had my MS and one of them replied straight away saying they were considering acquiring it, but wouldn't be able to give a firm yes or no within the time frame I've allowed.

Pinch me someone.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The StroppyAuthor blog is very good. I'm glad you found it.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Old Hack. It was the first one that made any kind of sense, and very easy to understand.:D

The second publisher has now forwarded my submission up the chain. It's doubtful whether I'll get an answer before the 1st publisher's deadline, but what a blast it's been to have two people interested in my book. :banana:

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, stormie. I have to admit it's exciting.:D