Agent asks to see full manuscript: how often?

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I got three nibbles during the last PitMad (four, actually, but one was a duplicate... guess she really liked my pitch). I queried all three. Two have requested a full manuscript.

This is the first time I have queried and I am not committed to getting published; writing is a hobby that I do to make myself happy. I entered PitMad without any forethought or preparation. I just thought, what the heck, I have four books lying around, why not?

Having said that...

Can I pat myself on the back for getting two-out-of-three full manuscript requests, or is this just the way things go?

(fully aware that I still stand a serious chance of being turned down by all of them)

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
It varies a lot. Queries that are solicited (from a contest like that or some other method) have a higher request rate because you've already cleared the bar of "interested in the premise", but I would think even then 2 out of 3 is pretty good. :)

For comparison, I have queried 48 agents, several of those via contests, and have had exactly one full request.

Here is a good post Mutive put together about the statistics of querying.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
You're querying warm leads, so it's likely your conversion rate will be higher.

I hear all kinds of figures being thrown around as a "good" conversion rate - 10%, 1%, 30%. Either way, this is a very small sample size. I queried one agent, got one full request, signed one contract. A meaningless stat! Luck, timing, research all contribute to a query's success, beyond just the quality of the writing.

You should pat yourself on the back either way :) I hope they bring you roaring success.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I like the 10% ratio for cold querying but Anna's right that there's a world of difference when you're responding to already-sparked interest.

Your stats are unusual enough that you can't really compare them to others, but they *are* looking good: you've attracted attention in the crowded chaos of PitMad not once, but three times! And three of those two have turned into a full! That's a really excellent request rate so far. :D Congratulations!

(Did you chase up the non-responding third request, btw? They might just have lost the e-mail!)

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Thanks, everybody! After posting some of my opening paragraphs and getting critiqued, I was kind of desperate for some positive feedback ;)

Yes, the third one has responded, with a flat "no". She was the most reputable of the three (has sold many books to major houses), so it was both expected and a big disappointment.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
That sucks. Sorry to hear that, Katharine. But hey, two full requests should soften the blow a bit, right? :D

If you haven't already, make sure to check out the agents over on the Bewares subforum. It's rare, but occasionally some less-than-savory types lurk the popular hashtags. Better to be safe!

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Getting more than a cover letter is an achievement in itself. Before I homed in on my current publisher, if I recall correctly, rate of "request MS" to contract offer was about 25%.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Query requests from #pitmad usually (but as you know, not always) result in a request, but it's a success to get a hit (or three) from #pitmad as well! It may not give a clear picture of how good your query is, though, just that your 140-character pitch is good and nothing about the query and/or sample you sent those agents turned them off from it.

What it does show is that you have a concept that is interesting to at least 3 agents, or at least the elements you focused on in your pitches were interesting. This is more than a lot of authors have. It's a good sign, for sure.

Saphron

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Katharine Tree, can I ask your genre? I'm gearing up for the pitmad in a few weeks, and wondering how common it is in my genre (I see a lot of YA examples, but no LF, which is my novel). Thanks:)

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Wouldn't it have been better to ask this in the forum specifically set up to answer questions about agents: Ask the Agent? You might have gotten a more detailed answer to your question.