worthy of having a sequel?

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
My novel was published mid last year. Before the publication date I sent the publisher a sequel to the to-be-published novel - the editor liked it, but said that before it was accepted the first novel had to prove itself worthy of having a sequel. A couple of months ago the editor repeated that he would theoretically like to publish the sequel at some point, but there was clearly no plan in place to do so.

So my question is, for those much more experienced and knowledgable about publishing than myself... what factors would play into a novel being worthy of a sequel, from a publisher's point of view? Money? Reviews? Time?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sales.

If your book sells well they'll want the sequel, so they can take advantage of the first book's success to build sales for the second.

But if they've not rushed to sign it, you could submit it elsewhere (although most publishers won't take a second book in a series when the first has been published elsewhere).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Sales, or at least some recognition. Every time I've written a sequel, it's been at the publisher's request because sales were good. In one case, however, what really decided it was The New York Review of Books said that the book should have a sequel. The publisher jumped all over that one.

But it really comes down to sales. Did the book generate enough interest to mean a lot of readers would be waiting for a sequel. The publisher usually has to project better sales for the sequel than for the first book. This is doubly true, if the first book was a loss.

My experience is that it doesn't really take all that much in sales. If the book merely earns out, there's a good chance the publisher will go with a sequel.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I thought it would be about sales. I don't know a lot about how my novel has been doing sales-wise - I assume not brilliantly, or I would have been informed. It has gotten some great reviews, and been sold in a small international deal. So maybe, (hopefully), its audience will continue to build and the sequel will go ahead. I can only dream!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Have you asked your publisher what your sales are? And if they are interested in signing your next book? I don't see why you couldn't.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If the book merely earns out, there's a good chance the publisher will go with a sequel.

It's not unusual for me to read the first few paragraphs or pages of a sequel and immediately seek out the prequel(s) and buy them as well as the sequel.

Every book published is an ad for all the previous books. Many a time I've read a book, gotten excited about the author, and sought out ALL their previous books, not just the prequel.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Coming back here to thank everyone for their advice. I've just learned that my book has earned out, and is still selling, so fingers crossed the sequel will see the light of day at some point.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coming back here to thank everyone for their advice. I've just learned that my book has earned out, and is still selling, so fingers crossed the sequel will see the light of day at some point.

Congratulations!