• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Ravenous Romance

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I think it removes the concern about the agency rather than the publisher. (And given these reports of erratic payments, I'd be leery of submitting anything to RR until some more positive reports show up.)

That's a definite red flag there for anyone considering submitting to this publisher.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
I'm not sure if single title folks have also had trouble, but it seems the statements/payment trouble is mainly with the anthology authors. For some weird reason the anthology editors (who often are writers and not in-house regular editors) were responsible for statements going out.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if single title folks have also had trouble, but it seems the statements/payment trouble is mainly with the anthology authors. For some weird reason the anthology editors (who often are writers and not in-house regular editors) were responsible for statements going out.

My understanding was that the royalty statements for anthologies got sent from RR to the antho editor, who then sent them out to the story authors. Payment was only via RR. If RR wasn't making the payments, the antho editor couldn't do anything about it. So I was getting statements but not payments.

Royalty statements were then taken over by an RR staff member, but as far as I can tell that just made things worse, as now neither statements nor payments have been forthcoming.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
FWIW I also haven't had a royalty statement in over a year. (Maybe longer? I honestly can't be bothered to check my records right now.)

I can definitely say I'm not impressed with the way anthologies have been handled. I've written and sold to anthologies published by Cleis Press (almost a dozen of them,) Seal Press and was even one of the launch authors (anthologies again) for the new Mischief imprint from HarperCollins UK--and I've never had this kind of trouble with statements and/or payment. I've probably only earned, oh, a dollar in 3 years but that doesn't mean I don't want those statements.

I've got to dig out that contract and see what my rights reversion options are because this is absolute balls.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, Cleis is gold to work with.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just flagging that Lori Perkins has left Ravenous Romance.

Anthology payment/royalty schemes may be changing going forward, but existing contracts still do not pay out until the royalties reach $100. If this clause was negotiated differently by teh author, payments still may not have been forthcoming; it may be worth the author's while to contact Ms Holly Schmidt directly, as other staff have a poor response track record.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of what sales are like for their single titles? I've got a novel that I'm shopping around right now. If I can't get a bite from an agent or a traditional publishing house, I'm thinking about giving RR a try. Thoughts?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Since Becky Tarr showed up, my anthology statements were on time the last three quarters, although I still haven't earned out my ten bucks in the last three years. *shrugs*

They were kind and cooperative returning my rights for The Toast Bitches at my request.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Unimportant: Thanks, Ill check that out!

Chumplet: yikes, doesn't sound like they're doing that well...

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've no idea how their novel-length works sell.

Their anthologies do pretty well, though there's a lot of variability in sales numbers. (I think het and gay male sells better than lesbian.) They used to offer short-story authors for anthologies a $10 advance plus royalties (split between the editor and then between all the authors, so I think a single copy sale nets an individual author something like nine cents). If the book sold really well and the royalties accrued to $100, RR paid the author. If the royalties never accrued to $100, the author never got paid. (I negotiated my contract for a minimum once-yearly payment, but they never showed up so it was kind of a moot point.) Some of their anthos have netted each author well over $100; others, not.

I think they're now going to a flat-fee per story for anthologies, which makes a zillion times more sense because it must be craziness to try and track the royalties for 20+ people for each single anthology title. Cleis, Circlet, and other similar publishers do the flat-fee thing.

The RR contract I was offered was not very author friendly; in fact, it was quite a rights-grab. I don't know if that's changed, but it's not a contract I'd be willing to sign again, and overall my experience with RR hasn't been hugely positive. That said, though, sales do seem reasonable, and the (external, contracted) editor for my anthology is totally awesome.

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Unimportant - I really appreciate the feedback. :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I never got enough sales figures for RR to post. I can try putting a call out assuming they don't have a non-disclosure edict on it (formally or informally).

KT Grant

Learning the ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktgrant.com
Hi all,

I've been an author with Ravenous Romance for 2 years and can answer any questions you may have about RR. I have 6 books with them, mainly lesbian romance, and they have treated me very well. I get paid quarterly and always on time and make the most with them.

The Princess's Bride, which came out in August 2010 is by far the highest seller for me out of all my titles from any of my other publishers. I was able to make PAN status in 6 months with The Princess's Bride. Scandal in the Wind, another lesbian romance is almost near my Princess's Bride sales and continues to grow. They are actively seeking and publishing lesbian romance, which is amazing since most epublishers have told me it doesn't sell well, which I find surprising because 90% of my sales and my royalties are from my lesbian titles. And I'm not just making a few dollars a month, I make a nice chunk that in a few years could allow me to write full time without a day job.

My latest release, Cinderella and the Lady just came out 2 weeks ago and I signed 2 contracts for books with RR next year. Lori and Holly have always treated me well and I really have no complaints. They will have reduced sales on ARe from time to time that really helps with my sales also.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, KT, and it's great to know that your lesbian works with RR are selling so well!

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
KT, congratulations on those sales! I'm very pleased to hear RR is doing well by their authors. I do have a couple of questions, since you've offered...

What has changed since Lori Perkins left? Have there been any problems?

How good are they at promoting your work, and how much do they help you promote it yourself?

Thanks so much for taking time to talk with me about this. :)

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Ack - I just took another look at their submission guidelines, and noticed the low wordcount limits. 60,000? Dang. My novel is way too long to submit to them. :-(

KT Grant

Learning the ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktgrant.com
KT, congratulations on those sales! I'm very pleased to hear RR is doing well by their authors. I do have a couple of questions, since you've offered...

What has changed since Lori Perkins left? Have there been any problems?

How good are they at promoting your work, and how much do they help you promote it yourself?

Thanks so much for taking time to talk with me about this. :)

Lori left before Cinderella and the Lady was released and Holly was right there to make sure it was published. After that she asked if I was interested in publishing more for next year and we discussed story ideas. Once you're a house author, IMO, they are very open to more ideas and want to publish more stories that will sell well for them and the author.

RR does sales on certain online sites and I have seen them do promo on ARe. Most of the time I have to do my own promo, which I do for my other title as well. :)

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, KT, much appreciated. :)

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Updating: after corresponding directly with Holly, RR has paid my two-years-overdue royalties. Now I have money in my PayPal account, yay! BooksOnBoard, here I come...

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I know it's been a while, and I had to re-log in to get to this page, but while I was on my website to eliminate a book from another publisher, I looked at the link for a story I had in an anthology with Lori Perkins, and noticed the page no longer existed. I had not received a notice that this book was defunct. So... I deleted the link from my page.

I don't think I earned out the ten dollar advance from this anthology, and I'm not sure if it even exists anymore. Maybe the notice from RR got lost in spam. I dunno. No loss.