Pasta!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
In my experience, for home stuff, whole wheat pasta is like whole wheat bread - you need to mix with 'white' (or semolina or durham or whatever). Same as commercial bread-makers make 100% whole wheat only by adding extra risers and such, pasta makers use stuff to bring the texture to where it should be and develop the gluten. If you're not doing that, try half and half with the flour - you'll get the whole wheat texture and taste but it'll still be pasta-y.

I don't tolerate whole grains like I used to. There was question as to whether I have Celiacs disease or not but the blood tests are in and it was No....but the doctor still says it's hard on my digestion...not sure why....so I'm going to be using semolina from now on.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cheap pasta machine (just acquired it in July), but that's for polymer clay.
Thank you for stepping up and saying this!:Hug2: I was afraid that I would be the only person here who's pasta machine was acquired for blending and rolling out polymer clay.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
This looks pretty interesting.

And why on earth would you guys be making ravioli out of polymer clay? ;)

What would you sauce a Dungeness crab-stuffed ravioli with? I'm thinking something light and citrusy...but then I start thinking about heavy cream...

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would be afraid the cream would overwhelm the delicate flavor of the crab, especially if it is already encased in ravioli. I have made a shrimp filled ravioli that I serve with nothing but a good fruity olive oil and a dusting of parmesan cheese. I was taught that cheese isn't supposed to go with fish, but this is delicious.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm following this thread because I'm up to my earballs in duck eggs!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Oh! I've had a pasta maker on my wishlist for like three years now. One of these days... :)

Marcella Hazan has a recipe/method for making and rolling pasta entirely by hand; one of these days maybe I'll try it. I'm dying to make my own ravioli, since the cheese-filled ones here all have cheddar/gorgonzola/bleu cheese in addition to ricotta, and I don't want those cheeses in there. So we haven't had ravioli in a really, really long time.

What would you sauce a Dungeness crab-stuffed ravioli with? I'm thinking something light and citrusy...but then I start thinking about heavy cream...

You could do a combination of those really, some sort of citrusy alfredo. In fact, now that I think of it...mmm. Creamy white sauce with a little white wine, some lemon zest, and a bit of parsley...some good soft bread and a nice salad dressed with oil, lemon, and parmesan... That sounds like a meal to me! :)

You have to make bread. :)

I concur 100%.

A while ago I posted my super-forgiving soft white bread recipe, and just now when I looked it up I updated it a bit to include some new things I've learned. When I say "super-forgiving" I really mean it, btw; I think it's almost impossible to truly screw this one up. So if you're looking for a good bread to try, Forbidden Snowflake, give this one a go (if you like, of course):

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267481

I'm also happy to share my pizza dough recipe, if you're interested. It's basically Cook's Illustrated's Thin and Crispy pizza dough with one or two minor modifications; I then do a quick sauce and top it with mozarella, a little grated parm, and a bit of provolone if I managed to get some (I can only get it here either by special order from the local gourmet cheese shop or when the bi-monthly Italian Market comes to the shopping center in the big town fifteen minutes or so away; unfortunately I never know exactly what day it'll be there, so...)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I've had a pasta maker on my wishlist for like three years now. One of these days... :)

Marcella Hazan has a recipe/method for making and rolling pasta entirely by hand; one of these days maybe I'll try it. I'm dying to make my own ravioli, since the cheese-filled ones here all have cheddar/gorgonzola/bleu cheese in addition to ricotta, and I don't want those cheeses in there. So we haven't had ravioli in a really, really long time.

You could do a combination of those really, some sort of citrusy alfredo. In fact, now that I think of it...mmm. Creamy white sauce with a little white wine, some lemon zest, and a bit of parsley...some good soft bread and a nice salad dressed with oil, lemon, and parmesan... That sounds like a meal to me! :)

I concur 100%.

A while ago I posted my super-forgiving soft white bread recipe, and just now when I looked it up I updated it a bit to include some new things I've learned. When I say "super-forgiving" I really mean it, btw; I think it's almost impossible to truly screw this one up. So if you're looking for a good bread to try, Forbidden Snowflake, give this one a go (if you like, of course):

I'm also happy to share my pizza dough recipe, if you're interested. It's basically Cook's Illustrated's Thin and Crispy pizza dough with one or two minor modifications; I then do a quick sauce and top it with mozarella, a little grated parm, and a bit of provolone if I managed to get some (I can only get it here either by special order from the local gourmet cheese shop or when the bi-monthly Italian Market comes to the shopping center in the big town fifteen minutes or so away; unfortunately I never know exactly what day it'll be there, so...)

It's really one of those things that's so simple that, once you do it, you kind of can't believe there's not more to it. The first time I made pasta I was a kid and I was all preparing, laying out all this stuff, making a perfect well, getting ready for some extended thing and then it's like stir, stir, knead, roll, oh...huh, who knew?

If you have experience handling dough, which it certainly sounds like you do, just do it. Making pasta (entirely by hand) takes, seriously, like 10 minutes. Ravioli takes a few more obviously, but pasta is much less elastic, and thus easier to work with, than bread doughs. If all you're looking for is some seasoned ricotta in the filling too... it's like a half hour project, even if you've not done it before, I'm fairly confident, given you've made scratch doughs. It's also not a big ingredient layout to try.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I then do a quick sauce and top it with mozarella, a little grated parm, and a bit of provolone if I managed to get some (I can only get it here either by special order from the local gourmet cheese shop or when the bi-monthly Italian Market comes to the shopping center in the big town fifteen minutes or so away; unfortunately I never know exactly what day it'll be there, so...)
I have a suggestion for the bi-monthly Italian Market: contact whoever runs the shopping center, they must have some sort of a schedule for the Italian Market, like other special events. It wouldn't do for them to just turn up randomly, fighting each other for space.
And why wouldn't the management of the shopping center tell a prospective customer when to come?
(I am no cook, but I know something about shopping: it never hurts to ask.)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score

I like light and citrusy. Quite a bit, actually. I also like lemon caper sauce. But for the crab-stuffed ravioli I'd recommend this Red Pepper Cream Sauce. I've come to love that so much. :)

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I'm in love with this thread. I may have to try homemade pasta soon. I just graduated to making macaroni and cheese that isn't from a box, this seems like a good next step :D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Zach, DO IT! Cooking is an amazing way to be more connected to your body, your region, your friends and family (because who doesn't love being cooked for, or cooked with?) and it's way better for you than eating out of boxes. :D

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Now, I want a duck and a pasta machine!

I want to try making ravioli from scratch very soon... this thread makes my mouth water.

Thank you very much. Saved, will try this weekend. Also please share your pizza dough recipe?

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
ooooh.....lemon caper sauce? Tell me MOAR!

<G>

Okay. This is the result of combining various recipes I've come across (you know how I can't help messing with a recipe).

Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce

1 shallot, finely sliced
2 tablespoons capers (rinsed and drained)
1 cup white wine
4 tablespoons butter (or olive oil if you just must, but it won't be nearly as tasty and decadent, plus butter just works better with the sour cream)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced as finely as you can
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest (or to taste)
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 tablespoons sour cream (or cream. I've tried Greek yogurt but the texture of the finished product is off and it separates for some reason)

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute just till wilted. Add the capers and white wine. Simmer until reduced by half. Whisk in the mustard and parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for about a minute to marry the ingredients. Remove from heat and whisk in lemon juice, the lemon zest, and the sour cream. Serve immediately, if not sooner.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
ZOMG - that sounds amazing! On something like a bed of angelhair, under grilled salmon, frex...NOM!

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Lemon caper sauce is versatile; you can use it on tilapia, on salmon, on grilled or baked chicken. Possibilities, oh my.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I do a white wine reduction, fresh dill, lemon, and shallot heavy cream sauce that's pretty similar in terms of versatility -- but this sounds a fair bit lighter and zestier, both.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
heh. This little cajun likes taste explosions and I need that much lemon to offset and blend with the dijon. You may want to adjust it all to your tastes. just sayin'. :D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Naw. Now you just got me thinking about the potential of a generous dash of cayenne in it, too.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

Personally, I would be afraid the cream would overwhelm the delicate flavor of the crab, especially if it is already encased in ravioli. I have made a shrimp filled ravioli that I serve with nothing but a good fruity olive oil and a dusting of parmesan cheese. I was taught that cheese isn't supposed to go with fish, but this is delicious.
I always wanted to make a lobster stuffed ravioli with some kind of light, garlicky cream sauce, but that lemon/caper sauce and Ketzel's olive oil sauce sound wonderful. My favorite "sauce" for angel hair is simply garlic and olive oil.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
That lemon caper sauce sounds awesome!

& if you're making it to go over crap ravioli, it might be good with a bit of Old Bay added? (I don't know, as I can't eat Old Bay due to my capsicum allergy. But I know Old Bay + crab is apparently a lovely combo, so...)

Thank you very much. Saved, will try this weekend. Also please share your pizza dough recipe?

I have to make pizza tomorrow for my Princess's birthday; it's a cup measure recipe, but if you want to hold on until tomorrow/Saturday, I'll weigh the ingredients as I measure tomorrow so I can give you the weights. :)

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
1 small clove garlic, minced as finely as you can
Have you ever tried microplaning garlic where the recipe calls for finely minced? It takes less time and the garlic seems to dissolve into the sauce or whatever.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I do. I have to remind myself that not everyone has a microplane; so I try to convey what the result should be whatever the method they use for getting there.