Hockey fans?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Not much of a soccer fan -- I think it depends on what you grow up with. I grew up with American football, so the Redskins' suckitude has been difficult to deal with. And the NBA? We have the Wizards; 'nuff said.

I'm still trying to convert my husband into being a baseball fan. He'll go to the games; let's say that. He's beginning to appreciate certain plays, but I suspect the beer is the biggest draw. He won't go to hockey games, at all -- says they're too expensive, particularly for good seats.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory. I guess there's a reason my fingernails are pathetic right now.

Yeah, it's been an awesome series. I read that in the entire series the score has been either tied or a one-goal lead for all but about 4 minutes. Talk about a great matchup. I kind of hope that tomorrow night's game is more of the same. It would be a shame to see a blowout after so much tension. (of course I'd be okay with it if the B's win...)
One of the strange things about this series is that the Caps don't really have anybody to hate on the team. Maybe Chimera, but there are no true "bad guys" that we can really despise. Most other teams have that and the hate makes it fun.

I'm just sick of all the game 7's. Out of the last eight playoff series the B's have been in, five of them came down to game 7.

And I simply can't talk about baseball at this point. What a ridiculous soap opera the Sox have become. It's like they were back in the 80's, when it was essentially 25 one-man teams on the roster. What a disgrace.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sick of game 7s too -- we traditionally lose them.

There are players on our team that I hate at times. Will that work? Although the usual prima donnas have been behaving themselves this post-season.

Maybe you can hate Knuble because he used to play for you. Or hate the fact that he's been benched for much of the season. I like him, so I hated to see that.

Another possibility is our new coach. I don't think he's done anything outrageous as a coach, but he was rather, er, forceful as a player. The idea of firing Boudreau and hiring him was to get someone who would get in the players' faces.

I don't care for your Mr. Thomas, but that's a political matter. Nothing about him as a player. Actually, growing up I was a big Bruins fan (back in the days of Orr, Phil Esposito, etc. -- which tells you how old I am). But I live here now.

I grew up a Cubs fan. But I knew no better.

Maybe Marlon Byrd will help y'all. He used to play for us. I'd hoped we would try to get him back, but I guess that doesn't fit into the long-term plan or whatever.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Not much of a soccer fan -- I think it depends on what you grow up with. I grew up with American football, so the Redskins' suckitude has been difficult to deal with. And the NBA? We have the Wizards; 'nuff said.

I'm still trying to convert my husband into being a baseball fan. He'll go to the games; let's say that. He's beginning to appreciate certain plays, but I suspect the beer is the biggest draw. He won't go to hockey games, at all -- says they're too expensive, particularly for good seats.

Oh, I'm born and raised in the DC area. I know all about the Skins, the Bullets er Wiz, the Caps, and the Senators, er Nats.

I was a die hard Skins fan until Snyder ruined the team.
Never enjoyed basketball.
Baseball is too slow if I'm not playing.

So that left me Caps and United. :/

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
The Washington Kastles are supposed to be good.

Snyder's trying to stay out of things now...we'll see. I live in the Maryland burbs, so periodically I shift to the Ravens.

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
The Devils outplayed Florida last night and definitely deserved that win. Kind of a soft goal in OT, but soft goals count just as much. Parise made an outstanding play to set it up, but somehow Kovalchuck gets all the credit for the pass. Either way, it was fun to watch.

Gotta hand it to Clemensen. He looked shaky early on, but settled down nicely.

MelissaMD

Registered
Reaction score
The Devils outplayed Florida last night and definitely deserved that win. Kind of a soft goal in OT, but soft goals count just as much. Parise made an outstanding play to set it up, but somehow Kovalchuck gets all the credit for the pass. Either way, it was fun to watch.

Gotta hand it to Clemensen. He looked shaky early on, but settled down nicely.

I hear ya, that pass was pretty much the only thing they talked about on Sports Center.. Made Play of the Night as well.. I unfortunately didn't get to watch the game, I just continued to refresh my Game Center app, haha.. I'll def be watching game 7 though but with my luck, they'll lose :/

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

Uh, they're already gone ;)

Gilroy, consider coming out to Nationals Park May 4-6. The official idea is to take back "Our Park" from the hordes of Phillies fans that descend upon us locust-like (if locusts drank, booed, cursed, and launched into "Fly, Eagles, Fly" for no logical reason). Those games will probably not be boring, even if game action is slow. Confronting fans from Philadelphia is always a Good Thing.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
Is this the year to make history or something?

Only series to have all 7 games decided by one goal.
Caps are starting to worry me.

Last time they made history...

Well, I don't want to talk about it. ;)

So do the Rangers fall, making more history?
Do the Caps play the Devils, Panthers, or Rangers?

(If they play the Rangers, do the Caps get to the conference finals?)

dogfacedboy

Registered
Reaction score
I predict at least one person on this thread will be happy, and at least one unhappy...
Count me unhappy.

Congrats to the Capitals. Going into this series I never thought it would be so close. Holtby played very well and the team shed their Boudreau-style system that was their downfall for so long. I'd love to blame injuries, refs, and sloppy play by the Bruins, but that's a loser's lament and the Caps really stepped up and played like winners. Well done.

I'd like to see Ottawa win tonight. The East has been turned upside down this postseason. Why not one more upset? Besides, I like the sentimentality over guys like Alfredsson going out in a glorious Cup run. (Ray Bourque, Marc Recchi, etc.)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Not only that -- four of the games went to overtime and two of the others were decided in the last two minutes of the third period. Too close to enjoy except in retrospect.

I'm not quite sure who I want us to play now. Oh well, as the folks say, Holtby, Holtby, Holtby. (So who's going to be the number one goaltender next year...)

At least Zimmermann finally got run support for once. (Best pitcher in baseball no one knows about.) You claim baseball is boring. Not when you rely on pitching and rarely get strong hitting. Then it can come down to one pitch...

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, dogfacedboy. (We posted at the same time. My post was responding to Gilroy -- makes more sense that way.)

It was quite a series, and obviously could go either way. I'm glad it didn't get ugly. The Caps are a different team with Backstrom and Green back in the lineup. We're finally getting the hang of defense after all these years. Heck, Semin actually was blocking shots.

Part of me would like Ottawa to win. Another part would like us to be the ones to bump off the Rangers.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
So, in the west, the #2, 3, 4, and 8 seeds won. In the east, the #1, 5, 6, and 7 did. I wonder if this is the first time they've ended up with one of each seed in the second round.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
There were defensive breakdowns on the last two goals. On one, Green left for a line change thinking there was no danger (there was...and no one replaced him). On another, two of our defensemen covered one Ranger, leaving someone else completely free. I don't think it fair to blame Holtby, at least not entirely, even if he has taken responsibility.

(Maybe we should blame my daughter. She called and I put the game on mute. My mind wasn't focused and the Rangers scored twice. She said she didn't know I used the word I uttered after the first goal.)

I saw that Ovie has admitted he played poorly. (I'm getting so sick of the "what the heck is wrong with Ovechkin" articles we keep being treated to.) And Semin has been taken to task for incurring stupid penalties because he feels the need to retaliate.

Not much energy from the team in Game 1 -- probably a letdown from the intensity of the Bruins series.

On top of that, we had that idiot column in the Post that said the DC sports curse may now be over. Caps lost and the Nats haven't won since.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh. Perhaps I should stay out of this thread. I'm a true blue Rangers fan. *sneaks away*