The NFL 2012 Season

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The Bears still have a chance for the 6th seed, if the Vikings loose against the packers, and the Bears win.

As to the Redskins and Cowgirls game, its official, Sunday night game. Winner takes all... The Skins are going to need the crowd in this game more so than any game in the last 12 years. Skins defense if going to have to play way above their heads. I hope they are up to the challenge...

The Seahawks surprised the hell out of me last night against the 49'ers. Are we sure that was the 49'ers who played? Hell of a defense the Seahawks put on, and as a Skins fan, I do not look forward to playing Seattle in the playoffs.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The crowd are definitely a home field advantage for Seattle. I've never heard a crowd so loud!

Did you see NBC's experiment? Michelle (the on field reporter) spoke into a set mike, then took 3 steps back. Which is about the width of a tight huddle. And you could barely hear her! Two more steps and you couldn't hear a word.

And Caepernik really struggled with the noise. But then, he has to learn how to cope with it I suppose.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
The crowd are definitely a home field advantage for Seattle. I've never heard a crowd so loud!

Did you see NBC's experiment? Michelle (the on field reporter) spoke into a set mike, then took 3 steps back. Which is about the width of a tight huddle. And you could barely hear her! Two more steps and you couldn't hear a word.

And Caepernik really struggled with the noise. But then, he has to learn how to cope with it I suppose.

We're all big fans out here. We have to be to overcome the sports writers east coast bias!

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Got to give it to the Seahawks right now, they're the hottest team in the league, scoring 150 over the past three weeks. Their opponents have only scored 30.

They kind of remind me of the Giants from last year, having a so-so season, then suddenly coming on strong at the end. I certainly wouldn't want to be the ones to try to stop them in the playoffs.

Also, they have the chance to become the number 2 seed, meaning a chance of home field throughout. All they need is for them to win and both the Niners and Packers to lose. Packers are going to the Vikings stadium, who are fighting for their playoff spot. Niners face the Cards... Yeah, they'll probably win that.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they talked about that on NBC. Why is there a bias?

We are rather far from the east coast and there are more teams located there. In addition, most of the sports publishing houses and sports writers are on the east coast. The bias appears to be real from our point of view. The Hawks have a phenomenal quarterback in Russell Wilson, a rookie, and he is not even being considered for Rookie of the Year!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think he's on the list now after the last couple of games. TBH, I don't know who to give it to as a neutral.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
The last two times the Skins met Seattle in the playoffs, they had to travel to Seattle and they lost in close games. Right now, it looks like it might be the Skins and Seattle in DC for the first round, if the Skins win.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
We are rather far from the east coast and there are more teams located there. In addition, most of the sports publishing houses and sports writers are on the east coast. The bias appears to be real from our point of view. The Hawks have a phenomenal quarterback in Russell Wilson, a rookie, and he is not even being considered for Rookie of the Year!

That actually depends on what you're listening to with regard to such things.

ESPN (from LA and an ABC owned property) has Wilson as an MVP candidate.

NBC is New York centric. So they cover all the Jets crap and forget the rest fo the country.

CBS is biased toward the Manning Brothers, regardless of other - more stellar - players performing great feats. (Adrian Peterson over 2000 yards rushing a year after ACL surgery, anyone?)

So don't diss them all out of the running.

Besides, Wilson might steal rookie of the year away from Luck and RGIII.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
The last two times the Skins met Seattle in the playoffs, they had to travel to Seattle and they lost in close games. Right now, it looks like it might be the Skins and Seattle in DC for the first round, if the Skins win.

If the Skins win, don't they get like the 5th seed first round? I'm trying to remember, its been so long since I had to follow playoff football...

I miss hockey.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea other than what I have read in some sports blogs and they are saying that if the Skins win, they will have to face Seattle.

Right now, Seattle and the Vikings would travel as wild cards. This would also be true if the Bears somehow get in, they would travel as a wild card.

Of course, the Giants did not have home field advantage last year in the playoffs and they did OK...

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's set up that the sixth seed plays the fourth and the fifth seed plays the third in the first round. Can't say for a fact though.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
That actually depends on what you're listening to with regard to such things.

ESPN (from LA and an ABC owned property) has Wilson as an MVP candidate.

NBC is New York centric. So they cover all the Jets crap and forget the rest fo the country.

CBS is biased toward the Manning Brothers, regardless of other - more stellar - players performing great feats. (Adrian Peterson over 2000 yards rushing a year after ACL surgery, anyone?)

So don't diss them all out of the running.

Besides, Wilson might steal rookie of the year away from Luck and RGIII.

I haven't trusted CBS to be unbiased for several decades.

I'm glad to hear about Wilson. I would sure be unhappy if he was ignored just because he chose to play for the Hawks.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Wilson is good, but I wouldn't make him rookie of the year. RGIII did more with a team that's much worse overall than the Seahawks. Then you have Luck that has broken the record for most passing yards as a rookie.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Wilson is good, but I wouldn't make him rookie of the year. RGIII did more with a team that's much worse overall than the Seahawks. Then you have Luck that has broken the record for most passing yards as a rookie.

You may be right. I just wanted to see Wilson be considered, that's all.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wilson hasn't been ignored by any stretch of the imagination. He just happened to come out in a year with two other QBs that are, truthfully, outplaying quite a few seasoned vets that are supposed to be good.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You may be right. I just wanted to see Wilson be considered, that's all.

The Seahawks look awfully tough. The defense was so fast off the snap against the 49er offense I think it threw them way off their game. I've said all season that I like SF, and I especially like Kaepernack (sp), but I don't know- what a tough division.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The Seahawks look awfully tough. The defense was so fast off the snap against the 49er offense I think it threw them way off their game. I've said all season that I like SF, and I especially like Kaepernack (sp), but I don't know- what a tough division.

It's really the impact of playing in the Seattle. It neutralizes the snap count completely.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
For those wondering or keeping track...

Playoff Schedules for the first week...

#1 Seed, gets a bye,
#2 Seed, gets a bye,
#3 Seed, plays the #6 Seed.
#4 Seed, Plays the #5 Seed.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Now it's time for the Ravens to play the role of the villains. Everyone is so thrilled that the Colts have come so far. A team that won like two games last year, now has a coach that spent most of the season dealing with cancer, a team rallied behind him and a rookie quarterback who has carried the team on his back, managed to get ten wins and get into the playoffs, where the coach that missed most of the season will once more be on the sideline for them. It sounds like something straight from Hollywood. Even more so with it being against a team that Pagano used to coach for (he was the Raven's DC).

If the Colts win, then no matter what happens next, all the people can say that the Colts defied the odds one more time and won a playoff game on the road. So if the Ravens are the team to take them out in the first round, then they're the bad guys. Especially if it's a blow out.

As a side note, it wouldn't shock me if this did become a movie.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. I'm the only one left on this thread whose team DIDN'T make the playoffs?!

Makes perfect sense to me.

I am happy for Ravens, and Bears, and Skins, and Hawks, fans. etc, etc, and am really looking forward to the playoff games!

Wait-- EDIT-- Did the Bears make it? Will google........ Oh, I see, needed a Packer win last night? Sorry Miranda- in this case, misery would have gladly done without the company

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
The bears fired Lovey Smith today and I think that was a mistake. The coach can not coach and play at the same time. Players need to take some responsibility as well...

The Skin will play the Seahawks and I for one am a bit concerned because of the way the hawks are playing, especially on defense. I think this will be the toughest defense RGIII and Morris face all year and RGIII is still not 100% from his knee sprain.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
It's true you can't completely blame the coach, but he hasn't been able to lead them to the playoffs and this is the second time that he's had the team take a nosedive late in the season. The head coach is supposed to be the leader and when things go wrong, he has to be the one where the buck stops, so to speak.