Help from Australia

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A family of my characters from Australia call themselves Halliday. I've seen the name in closed captions/subtitles in an Aussie video but can't see how it's pronounced.

Would an Australian native be so kind as to break the three syllables into sounds as they might refer to themselves? :ty: in advance.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hell-e-day

We can be a bit regional, Chase. In NSW it would be Hall-i-day with a as in hat, i as in it and day as in well, day. Emphasis on the first syllable.

If I knew phonetics and American Sign, I'd have done a better job of this. But I hope this gives you a starting-place, anyway.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ty: Roof and Mac. Both explanations are quite :deaf: friendly.

:e2smack: I should've known such a big country would have dialects.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Many Australians use vowels sounds that are different from other varieties of the English language. It is rather complicated.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Many Australians use vowels sounds that are different from other varieties of the English language. It is rather complicated.

Many Australians can also be very lazy in our speech. In metropolitan areas this tends to result in pushing sounds together. In rural areas they tend to speak slower and extend words out into as many syllables as they can. Obviously this is a stereotype and not true for every individual.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I assumed everyone everywhere spoke RP.

ETA: And to add something in useful, in Adelaide, they'd pronounce it the way mccardey's mentioned for NSW.

Last edited:

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Responses are helpful for my story beyond expectations. :ty:, and I've repped you lot (the last idiom from Jack Irish DVDs). :D

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say it like mccardey and I'm from Melbourne. Just to confuse things :)

K.Stephens

Registered
Reaction score
A family of my characters from Australia call themselves Halliday. I've seen the name in closed captions/subtitles in an Aussie video but can't see how it's pronounced.

Would an Australian native be so kind as to break the three syllables into sounds as they might refer to themselves? :ty: in advance.

I would pronounce it Hal-ee-day.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A famous (and likely future Hall of Fame) recently retired American baseball pitcher named Roy Halladay had his name pronounced exactly like it would seem to be pronounced, and I can't see any Ozzie pronouncing "Halliday" much different than in the way it looks. If you are producing written work, why do you worry about how anybody will pronounce this surname?

caw