Vermont horse trails

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh!

I have a book that was originally set in Ontario, Canada, but has been transplanted to Vermont, USA as per publisher request.

I had the characters using horse trails in Algonquin Park when they were in Ontario, but I'm not sure what to translate that to in Vermont.

I mean, the park would take up about a third of Vermont's total land area, I think, so I'm not looking for an exact replication.

But in the book, my characters are treating the visit to Algonquin as an interesting over-night or maybe daytrip, with horses... what is there in the Vermont area that would be equivalent? Doesn't have to be a park, just something that would be an equine adventure without a huge time commitment.

Thanks for any ideas.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
You might start with this. I'm not familiar with the place, but for a daytrip it should work. Daytrip from where?
http://vtstateparks.com/htm/other_detail.htm

I don't know what the rules for horses in National Forests is. If they are allowed, then Green Mountain National Forest is another possibility.

Last edited:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Or the Merck forest (http://www.merckforest.org/) lots of people trailer in, great riding.

And probably a whole novel in turning around anything bigger than a 2H BP. There are cabins to rent there as well for overnights. A day ride up Mt. Antone...

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Cool, bombergirl! Neptune, I was looking at those as well, but was hoping for some first-hand experience.

Thanks, guys!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
riding in MF is great but lots of uuuuuuphill for sure! And you have to dodge hikers. The country is rolling farmland, lovely in all seasons, and it's a working farm (sheep, "heavy" horses, the whole deal), great wool also if you're a knitter!

But the trailering thing can be epic!

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Cool, bombergirl! Neptune, I was looking at those as well, but was hoping for some first-hand experience.

Thanks, guys!

I can't tell you. I've seen riders while I was on foot, but that's all. What do you need for the novel?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It's just a passing reference - they're just talking about things they could do, and this was one of the ones mentioned.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Curious about why the publishers wanted the change, if it is OK to ask in public?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Just marketing, I guess. Apparently Canada isn't different enough to qualify as an interesting, exotic locale, but it's too different to fit the expectations of someone who's looking for a down home country read.

This is for a small town romance book - I don't think it's something that would apply across the board to all stories.