XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, 10. *hugs*

Do you guys know the RyanGosl!ngL!tAgent on twitter? My son heard me reading a few and keeps walking up and saying things to me, but they're all a little creepy.

Like:

Hey Girl, I wrote a book...on your face.

Hey Girl, I took your ereader, and put it in the toilet.

Hey Girl, sometimes when you read, I just laugh and laugh.

He has the intro right, but the delivery is way, way off.

That's pretty awesome, actually. Some of the Ryan Gosling ones are slightly creepy too. Or maybe it's just me.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina!

Local news, it is Junior High Graduation, so Debio is wearing Japanese style formal wear, black suit, white tie. (Debio hates the suit and tie thing. Bad memories of fundamentalist christian school.) On top of that, today my job is parking attendant and it is raining.

Add to that, I went and used the phrase "rip it to shreds" in my SYW revision. So now, after a nights sleep, I'm having second thoughts.

I'm tough. Gotta go park cars, see ya all later.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I just... I have a sad :(

:Hug2: Here's hoping for the best with Timmy. The thyroid drugs usually work quite well, not that that makes it feel any better right now.

Some of the Ryan Gosling ones are slightly creepy too. Or maybe it's just me.

Stupid but honest question: is Ryan Gosling that guy with the eight kids from that show on TLC?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid but honest question: is Ryan Gosling that guy with the eight kids from that show on TLC?

No, that's Jon Gosle-something.

Ryan Gosling is an actor, from movies like Drive, Lars and the Real Girl, Stay (totally underrated movie, IMHO).

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
No, that's Jon Gosle-something.

Ryan Gosling is an actor, from movies like Drive, Lars and the Real Girl, Stay (totally underrated movie, IMHO).

Ah, okay. For the longest time I thought he was that guy, but have come to think that Gosling appears to have more of a career than I'd have thought possible for the Kate+8 guy.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Got some bad news at the vet today :(

Timmy lost 12 lbs in 3 months and likely has severe heart issues. Blood was drawn and tests will be run. Even if it's not his heart, there's probably something very wrong with him :(. Healthy dogs don't lose that much weight in such a short time, while eating normally. And Anyanka has a thyroid problem that is causing her coat to fall out. Her blood was drawn too and she will get meds as soon as the results are in.

Aw, 10. :Hug2:

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Got some bad news at the vet today :(

Timmy lost 12 lbs in 3 months and likely has severe heart issues. Blood was drawn and tests will be run. Even if it's not his heart, there's probably something very wrong with him :(. Healthy dogs don't lose that much weight in such a short time, while eating normally. And Anyanka has a thyroid problem that is causing her coat to fall out. Her blood was drawn too and she will get meds as soon as the results are in.

That just totally is like, the suckers.

Tell you what, give me that sad of yours. I'm not holding anything at the moment. Then stand right over there. I'll organize a group hug, or make everyone take turns. Your choice...

Hey Everyone Hug Time!
Relay or Group! Vote!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
First - 10, I'm so sorry about your doggies. I hope the vet will sort things.

Do you guys know the RyanGosl!ngL!tAgent on twitter? My son heard me reading a few and keeps walking up and saying things to me, but they're all a little creepy.

Like:

Hey Girl, I wrote a book...on your face.

Hey Girl, I took your ereader, and put it in the toilet.

Hey Girl, sometimes when you read, I just laugh and laugh.

He has the intro right, but the delivery is way, way off.

what is with this guy, anyway? IS that Hey Girl intro from a movie? And why is he posing as a Lit agent? I don't quite get it.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For 10

hug.gif

:Hug2:

:e2arms:

:e2grouphu

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of this going around the Cantina.

When we relocated, did we move onto an old burial ground or something???

Cool!

*digs in his bag and pulls out his Indy hat, a shovel and a shotgun. *

Sounds fun. We need a psychic, a priest, and um, cannon fodder. Think we can find volunteers in the Cabaret? If we tell them there is catnip?

ETA : I'm sorry, this is the SF/F bar. The above might make Bos and his friends too jealous. Let me reword.

*digs in his backpack and pulls out his straw hat, a shovel, and a crossbow.*

Sounds fun. We need a wizard, a cleric, and zero levels. Think we can find volunteers in the Cabaret? If we tell them there is catnip?

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: for 10.

Strange isnt always bad.

Thanks, everyone. The reason I read Embassytown was the same reason I read The City & The City two years ag: for three years now I've been reading the BSFA Best Novel shortlist. Considering for about 4-5 years of my teens I read almost nothing but SF, I'm way behind on modern SF at novel length, so if I was to pretend to be a genre reader I should have a look at what at least some people (BSFA members) consider the best stuff. (This year I read my second Adam Roberts novel for the same reason and I'm pretty certain he's not to my taste either.)

I've only read two China Miéville novels. I have been in the same room as him but haven't actually spoken to him, though we did exchange emails way back when I was BFS Awards administrator, in the year he won for The Scar. He's clearly highly intelligent, very articulate and charismatic. I haven't read the three Bas-Lag novels, all of which won major genre awards, though I have a copy of Perdido Street Station lying around. (Until recently, it remained CM's bestselling novel and still might be. It's over twice as long as City... or Embassytown.) I haven't read his children's novel Un Lun Dun, though of two friends who both have experience in writing YA, one enjoyed it and one hated it. And I haven't read Kraken, which even a friend of mine who is a CM fan thought was getting self-indulgent.

Part of the problem I had with City... and Embassytown was that both are written in first person and neither narrator quite rang true for me. Less so with City, but the narrator kept using thesaurus words which I doubted he would use. Embassytown's narrator, Avice, is female. Now, I'm not suggesting that men writing as women is wrong or (to quote a thread over in novels) "socially unacceptable" - I'd be first against the wall if that were true. But you could change Avice to male and apart from changing the relevant gendered nouns, pronouns and adjectives, the novel would be almost completely unchanged. (Yes, Avice has a husband, but in a passing comment she reveals she previously had a wife. The only passage that would change would be a brief discussion of "homosex".) If you change something so basic about your protagonists with no effect, then that's characterisation-fail as far as I'm concerned. And since I didn't believe in her, I couldn't care less about her.

That said, the ideas behind City... and Embassytown are interesting, especially the latter as I have some background in linguistics as part of my English degree. Though saying that Embassytown is the best SFnal treatment of linguistics since Ian Watson's The Embedding (1973) (as The (London) Times says on the back cover) was a grr moment for me. I'd say that was Ted Chiang's "Story of Your Life", but no that's a novella, short fiction, and that doesn't count...

Okay, rant over. Maybe I'm just a disappointed fan not finding something recently that will blow my socks off. Two more BSFA novels to go, so here's hoping that Osama or Cyber-Circus will hit that spot. (The Islanders is the best of the three, and will probably win. It's not my favourite Priest novel, and definitely not recommended for those new to his work, but at least I didn't feel any urge to throw my copy at the wall as I did with Roberts and Miéville, though I finished both. I'm a Priest fan of old and his partner is a friend of mine.)

It's Saturday morning here. Good morning Cantina. Have a great weekend, everyone.

Last edited:

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
10s, thoughts and prayers are with you.

To (hopefully) make you smile: I just arrived at the weekly car meet and there is a line outside of the coffee shop already. Had a "Whaaaaaaaa" moment until it dawned on me that today is the 17th and the coffee shop is part of the local Irish pub.

But for serious, beer at 6:30 am? I mean, I loves me some frosty goodness, but egads....

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaawww Tens. So sorry to hear that about your dogs. I really hope they both get better soon :Hug2:

Morning folks. Busy day of wedding shopping planned. Not mine this time...

Whutup?

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
932 words so far this morning. I have to admit that I had some of those from before though, so let's knock about 200 off and go from there. :e2writer:

I'm about to be interrupted by :e2bike2: It's Milan-San Remo today.

Is it beer o'clock yet? :e2drunk:

My offer for anyone to be a hero is still open.

Last edited:

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Evening folks. Finally made it home. It has been a long, but entertaining day. How is everyone doing?

And 10s, my thoughts are really with you and your dogs. I don't know what I would do if my little one wasn't well.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Is it beer o'clock yet? :e2drunk:

My offer for anyone to be a hero is still open.

Grats on the wordses! I'm just about to tuck into some myself, but I'm not sure if I'm going to work on something old or something really old or something new.

Also, it's 2.15pm, so yes - I say go for a beer!

And, I'm intrigued by this hero thing... What do you need? :)

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Ack... I just got caught up! 10s, I hope the doggies will be fine. *big hugs* Keep us posted when you get the blood results back, OK?

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Can you ride a bike?

Hell, I can do that, and I have been declared disabled by two different national governments. If you are looking for heroes, I certainly hope that that is only the first step.

Cause, well, I wouldn't call myself a hero. But, if that's all you need, I'll volunteer. I need to pump up the tires and oil the chain on my bike. It hasn't been used in a while.

Any other qualifications you aren't telling us about? Like super speed? or Psychic mind blasts? Or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.