• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

DellArte Press (formerly Harlequin Horizons)

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Yeah, Carina is trying to leverage Harlequin's knowledge and contacts in romance publishing to get a bigger share of the e-book market--but they don't want the Harlequin name to be associated with m/m erotica.

DellArte, on the other hand is pointless unless potential authors know it's part of Harlequin. So both decisions make sense, at least when looked at separately.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Carina is trying to leverage Harlequin's knowledge and contacts in romance publishing to get a bigger share of the e-book market--but they don't want the Harlequin name to be associated with m/m erotica.

Very true, but...Author House isn't known for being selective in its manuscripts. Unless there is a watchdog at the gate, no where does the Dellarte site state that they will only accept straight romances, nor only ROMANCES for that matter.

It will be interesting to see if anyone gets rejected for submitting erotica, m/m or any of the other subgenres HQ steadfastly stays away from. And what about horror, sci/fi, etc. Will they turn those away?

ETA: The site does state-
Dellarte Press provides the opportunity for women's fiction writers and romance authors to self-publish their books and achieve their dreams.

However, I do wonder if they are relying only on this statement to weed out the other genres.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Well, it's cheesy false advertising, because it's NOT self-publishing, but vanity printing. They're literally banking on the fact most newbies won't know the difference.

I achieved MY dreams by getting a check for my words, not writing one.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Well, it's cheesy false advertising, because it's NOT self-publishing, but vanity printing. They're literally banking on the fact most newbies won't know the difference.

I achieved MY dreams by getting a check for my words, not writing one.

QFT.

Anon76

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I stumbled across this http://carinapress.com/faq/ and it was just too good to not pass on.

Look to the bottom of the page and you will come across this:

"Will my manuscript be edited and copy edited?
Yes. Carina Press goes through the same rigorous acquisition and editorial development processes as traditional print publishers."

"Will I be charged to publish my book with Carina Press?
No. Carina Press is not a vanity publisher and the author is not asked to pay for publication, editing, cover art or other services."

Now for those new to this thread, Carina Press is the ebook only division of Harlequin (though HQ makes sure to distance themselves because not all of the content fits into their well established print categories.)

The last question and answer is very telling. We are not a "vanity" publisher because...

So, is DelleArte a vanity publishing, or "assisted" publishing.

I'm sure you can figure out where my vote goes.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I stumbled across this http://carinapress.com/faq/ and it was just too good to not pass on.

Look to the bottom of the page and you will come across this:

"Will my manuscript be edited and copy edited?
Yes. Carina Press goes through the same rigorous acquisition and editorial development processes as traditional print publishers."

"Will I be charged to publish my book with Carina Press?
No. Carina Press is not a vanity publisher and the author is not asked to pay for publication, editing, cover art or other services."

Now for those new to this thread, Carina Press is the ebook only division of Harlequin (though HQ makes sure to distance themselves because not all of the content fits into their well established print categories.)

The last question and answer is very telling. We are not a "vanity" publisher because...

So, is DelleArte a vanity publishing, or "assisted" publishing.

I'm sure you can figure out where my vote goes.

Carina and Dellarte are not the same. I'm confused are you saying Carina isn't legit?

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
Anon76 is saying that by Carina/HQ's own definition Dell Arte is a vanity. Yet they continue to insist that Dell Arte is "self-publishing."

Of course there are some gray areas, but they aren't anywhere near Authorhouse.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping to see if there is anything new. They have four books listed on Amazon since they started. That's all I could find.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Up to eight now, but it's still nice how few are falling for it.