Most common pitfalls of white people writing POC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Especially with Hispanic characters, I'd pay attention to underlying race (Hispanics can be white, black, indigenous, Asian, mixed, etc.) and class. Someone who's ancestors were wealthy land owners in Mexico (or some of the founding fathers of their hometown) is going to have very different influences than the descendant of Haitian slaves. They both are Hispanic.

I've been told that in Texas, at least as of about 30 years ago, there was also a difference between "Spanish American" and "Mexican", and that miscalling the former a "Mexican" is fightin' words. This apparently derived from the old class differences between upperclass folk of mostly Spanish extraction, and native Mexican Indians. I have no idea if it still applies today.

Okelly65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lol it boggles my mind to drive an hour and be in another state.... It takes me an hour to get to the other side of Houston.
what? you must be driving from one side of loop 610 to the other LOL. It used to take me two, sometimes two and half hours to drive from one side of Houston to the other. Thank god I moved.

Houston city of the eternal road construction.

Okelly65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've been told that in Texas, at least as of about 30 years ago, there was also a difference between "Spanish American" and "Mexican", and that miscalling the former a "Mexican" is fightin' words. This apparently derived from the old class differences between upperclass folk of mostly Spanish extraction, and native Mexican Indians. I have no idea if it still applies today.

I think what you've heard, had to do with the Tejano's. the Hispanics whose families date back to fighting for the independence of Texas. (yes there were quite a few who fought for Texas independence) The ones I knew hated being called Mexican.

Status
Not open for further replies.