Status
Not open for further replies.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
:shrug: My movie viewing is kind of random.

Mine too. I've seen a lot of what you've seen, but throw in a lot of WWII action movies thanks to my dad, anything with a train, my dad again, Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy and the Marx Brothers - grandad, and westerns like there's no tomorrow thanks to my gran.

Add that in with any cartoon going and my mothers penchant for fantasy and you have one slightly confused person - might make a good film though!

Whenever I've spotted say 'The Maltese Falcon' or 'Citizen Kane' on tv I've deliberately sat down and watched it sometimes just to see what I was missing. It's a good way to find out what things are really like. When I was younger the BBC sometimes used to do seasons of movies. they did a series of Saturday night B movies once - all the 'Creature' ones. Man! Was that funny!?!

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
The classic silent film which was (relatively recently) restored, or the expansive anime which took chunks of Astro Boy as well as inspiration from the original?
Classic silent film. Brother has it on Blu Ray so at some point once I can be bothered to I'll end up watching it.

Incidentally, I'm annoyed that Gojira isn't available on Blu Ray in the UK. That sucks and needs to be rectified.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Name a classic novel and there's a 99% change I've not even attempted to read it. Which really is not a good thing in any way.

In my experience, neither is the book. Almost every time I have gone to read a 'classic' book, it's been carp.

I am probably going to get shot for this, aren't I? My 2p - save your effort and don't bother. Just pick it up if it sounds interesting otherwise run the other way very, very fast.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, neither is the book. Almost every time I have gone to read a 'classic' book, it's been carp.

I am probably going to get shot for this, aren't I? My 2p - save your effort and don't bother. Just pick it up if it sounds interesting otherwise run the other way very, very fast.
The only "classic" book I can distinctly remember reading of my own free will (so not counting the stuff I had to read for school and college) is War of the Worlds.

Oh yeah, and I am currently, if slowly, working my way through Asimov's Foundation trilogy.

I also own 1984 and Dracula but despite having them on my shelf for about 3 years now, I've yet to read anything from either of then.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Well... Not everything, but I'm working on that. :D

Good luck....? :D

When it comes to classic film, in the grand scheme of things I'm massively under-educated. But that's nothing compared to how inexperienced and clueless I am in terms of classic literature.

Name a classic novel and there's a 99% change I've not even attempted to read it. Which really is not a good thing in any way.

I've been working on reading more classic lit my self. I know I love Jane Austen and Alexander Dumas. No matter how many times I read The Count of Monte Cristo, I still love it.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

Actually I agree with this. Kind of. It might be worth a try. But if you can't finish a book, don't force your self too.

Same goes for books that are "popular" at the moment and everyone tells you to read it and insist that you'll "love!" it. I'm looking at you Twilight and Hunger Games. Kind of wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.