Using real surnames in historical fiction

vcarson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. In the project I'm currently working on, there is a minor character who had a very well known real surname. His name is Peter Astor II, of the historically powerful Astor family. He is a minor character and is shown in a neutral way. He has a relatively positive character. I think that having this character connects my piece of fiction to the real world. The time period is 1906 and it is set in a realistic US. Is this ok? Or am I doing something wrong? I don't know the rules or laws about things like this. Are you against using a real name in fiction? Or is it a good idea? Thanks for any feedback.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Don't think it will be a problem, as long as you get your facts about the Astors correct. I'd look for photos too, to make sure you describe him accurately.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

vcarson

Registered
Reaction score
Sposiba

Bolshoye sposiba : Russian for thank you, literally "big thank you"

Nikweikel

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. In fact Veronica Lodge from the Archie Comics is a fictional descendant of John Cabot Lodge.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of works of fiction which use real names of real people from history. Julius Caesar, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, Kennedy, Washington, Merlin, Robin Hood. They are all real people from history portrayed in fictional work.

Some authors portray these people accurately, some make it all up and hope no one notices or cares. So, yep, it's fine to use real names in historical fiction.