WOOO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yes!

I just finished the first draft of the book I've been working on for the past two years! I've really struggled to write this one through a separation, a divorce, my ex's suicide threats, the deployment of my boyfriend to the Middle East, a move, a long (and much-needed) road trip, depression, financial crises, caring for a very sick relative, and working until 2 a.m. at my "day" job. It feels SO GOOD to have this one done after it's been my perpetual WIP for two goddamn years! (And I don't work on more than one novel at a time, so this has been my ONLY novel-length WIP for all that time.)

It still needs revision, of course, but it's been written all the way to THE END.

I am super psyched. I'm drinking wine. At 12:43 a.m.

Fuck yeah, my droogs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS YOU!!!!

:partyguy:

I know that feeling!!!

Enjoy :)

Last edited:

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
WOORRRRD UPPP!!!!

Mccardey suggested I start drunk-typing here to celebrate, so let's do that while I consume more wine. POSTERITY! EVERYTING ON THE INTERNET LIVES FOREVER!!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOORRRRD UPPP!!!!

Mccardey suggested I start drunk-typing here to celebrate, so let's do that while I consume more wine. POSTERITY! EVERYTING ON THE INTERNET LIVES FOREVER!!!

Bless - post away!!!! You deserve it!!!

:PartySmil

(and then there's the editing. You know - not to bring you down or anything. And QLH. *sigh*)

:PartySmil

POST AWAY!!!!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really, though - well done! It's a magical moment. Make sure you enjoy it. Write an email to yourself telling you just how terrific you are :)

It's been worth it!

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
I am totally down with the diting. Editing has never been a problem for me (except when i am drunk and cxan't be assed to go back and correct the carnage left int he wake of my clumsy fingers. It's not like I don't see all the mistakes I'm making right npw; I just don't care.) One time I turned in edits for one of my agents in like 72 hours AND THEY WERE AMAZEBALLS, everything she asked for and more, and she had like only two more corrections for me to make afterward, big woo; but then later she was all HEY YOU SHOULD TAKE MORE TIME EDITING BECAUSE THEN IT LOOKS LIKE YOU PUT MORE THOUGHT INTO IT and I was all WHY? THOSE EDITS WERE THE FULL-ON SHIT AND NOW MY BOOK IS READY FOR SUB; 72 HOURS FTW!!!!

so I love to edit and I wish somebody would hire me to be an editor, but nobody will because I do not have a college education and technically didn't graduate from high school either. BUT I'LL SHOW ALL THE HATERS WHEN I AM ROLLIN' WITH SOME KIND OF LITERARY AWARDS or at least nominations. I will be equally thrilled with those.

That shit's an accomplishment, mi amigos.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Best Friends. You and me. Because I didn't finish High School either. And I know what it's like to finish a book :)

Congrats. :Sun:

Drink plenty of water before you go to bed. And remember - vitamin B is your friend.

ETA: I'm so happy for you. I'm awash with smiles. Well done. Here's a hug.:Hug2:

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
What! That is so awesome. I mean, it's not that awesome because I know how much it sucks to be discriminated against because people assume you're an idiot if you don't have the magic pieces of paper that proclaim you Officially Worthy, but it's awesome that another person out there is intelligent and talented and ALSO "uneducated" like moi.

However, I did wrangle my way into walking during the graduation ceremony at my high school. I am pleased to say I finagled this feat solely on the merits of a short story. I convinced my English teacher to temporarily change my grade in the database so I could participate in the graduation ceremony if I wrote a short story that was so rad he thought it was worthy of publication in a literary magazine. We had an arrangement of total honesty; if I didn't rock that story hard, I wouldn't walk. But I did, so to this day my family and friends still think I have a high school diploma, but all I really have is preternatural writing skillz and a bottle of wine.

AND NOW I'M OFF TO BED.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You did well, chicken :) I got booted in about Year 11 when they discovered I hadn't attended for over eight months. It's not a day I like to remember.

But hey - life's about learning, right? And it doesn't all happen in school!

Sleep well. Water. And vitamin B.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
I love that you posted this here rather than in G&A where I wouldn't have seen it.

GO YOU! GO YOUR HANGOVER! :D

You = Totes Amazeballs. I anticipate the day of your rolling with much glee.

*sigh* I miss alcomophrol.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I totally forgot that G&A exists. The book I finished is a snobby, pretentious literary novel so it's probably better celebrated here than anywhere else.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You know, I totally forgot that G&A exists. The book I finished is a snobby, pretentious literary novel so it's probably better celebrated here than anywhere else.

And those are my very favorite kinds, and I bet yours is the snobbiest and most pretentious of all!*

EXCITING!

*That is a good thing. ;)

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, I'll take you up on that, if you can commit to a fairly fast turnaround. It will only be 60,000 words at the most after revision. Right now it's 54K. I need to add a few scenes in. But I'd like to query it ASAP, so if you're able to get comments back to me without too much delay that would be super amazing.

I'll beta for you if you like. I don't beta for many people but you seem to have your head screwed on straight and you seem like you can take a critique.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
WOORRRRD UPPP!!!!

you havehe go3od speeling for some1 wohse dru@nktyping!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my best posts here were composed while shit-faced.

(The length of my posts is inversely proportional to my level of sobriety.)

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you're a chatty drunk, Kuwi.

Thanks, guys! I've been revising tonight and it feels great to be at that stage with this book. And the early part of the novel feels really solid to me, so hopefully the rest of what I wrote will, too.

Now I just have to write a query letter that doesn't suck.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Snobby? Pretentious? Literary? I luuurve it.

I'll top you with my next dystopian dirge which is going to be all literary. And snobby. And pretentious. I'm thinking of making it 100% internal conflict, and use stream of consciousness. My sentences will be three pages long.

A belated congrats!

Funny thing, although I subscribe to this forum, I'm so rarely here.

Status
Not open for further replies.