• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Scarlet Tie Books / Zacton Press

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Just discovered this publisher via a friend's post on LiveJournal.

http://scarlettiebooks.com/

They look really new, started by a pair of m/m authors I've never heard of--and I thought I knew just about everyone writing in that genre.

Ah, well this could be why I don't know Meg Leigh:
http://megleigh.net/2012/06/04/publishing-news-update/

Not sure who the publisher she mentioned was, didn't search through her older posts to find out.

Googling Zachary Sexton gained me no information on him, and he's the person listed as owner of the company.

Neither look to have much experience as authors, much less as publishers.

They plan to open at the end of the year or in early 2013 but have a couple of books out from the LJ Flist friend from whom I found out about them.

[My apologies if this is a bit muddled, I'm recovering from the flu.]

Pagebreaker

Lover of words
Registered
Reaction score
My only problem with things like this, is that new businesses do start up, and not all of them are scammers, or bad. Even unknowns might be very experienced. I do not know them, however they might have publishing experience through another press, or maybe they have written many book.

I would be cautious of course. But I always am intrigued by new publishers.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
If a publisher has experience, it is a good idea to have that information readily available for writers to see. Usually when no experience is listed, it's because there isn't any. On occasion we get a startup in here that is run by someone who clearly knows what they're doing, but I'd say we get a couple dozen or more for each one of those who is just someone who decided being an epublisher sounded like a good idea.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
The covers are disturbingly bad in their own right, and it's disturbing that the publishers can't see that.

It's nowhere near as difficult to publish GLBT material as it once was. Authors who write it don't need to settle for being published by amateurs.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Google-fu tells me that Zachary Sexton, who owns Scarlet Tie and is responsible for the cover art, also owns Zacton Press, originally described as an all-genres e-press, but now, apparently, a manuscript appraisal, editing, and e-book format service, which is also affiliated with a paid editing service.

Zacton Press says:
A manuscript appraisal is especially useful to new writers and an asset to include in a submission package when you approach a publisher or agent.
I don't know if that's true in Australia or not. But a small sinking part of my heart says, with a whimper, that Zacton Press is probably making that claim to authors who wish to submit to Scarlet Tie.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
To quote their website:

Based in Australia, Scarlet Tie Books
However there doesn't appear that there is any business in the entire of Australia called 'Scarlet Tie Books'.

You can check on the Australian Business Register: www.abr.business.gov.au

The register includes company names, partnerships, charities .. any kind of business name.

The closest is a 'SCARLETT TY PTY LTD' in the same state - but it appears to be a swimming pool company.

If Zachary Sexton is reading this - can he tell us the actual company name?

Or even just the ABN - and we can look it up ourselves?

Mac
(PS: Under Australian law they need to list their ABN on all invoices etc .. but they can keep it hidden from the public on their website if they choose. But why would they choose to do that?)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're not open to submissions at this time, so maybe they haven't yet registered the business etc?

I'll give them credit for one thing: they've managed to get fifteen reviews, all five stars, on GoodReads. Including one who gushed over the beautiful cover art.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Post from the LJ friend regarding Scarlet Tie, which does explain a few more things.

http://zathyn-priest.livejournal.com/77025.html

Main gist of the post:
The bottom line is this:
* Scarlet Tie Books was born to provide me with a label to publish my graphic fiction. It was then opened up to few author friends as an avenue to publish their fiction. It is now open to any writer who may want to submit a manuscript for consideration.

* It is fully funded by me.

* It is intended to remain a small press.

* Any author published with the Scarlet Tie Books label will retain the right to remove their book/s from the catalogue at any time and go elsewhere if they so wish.

* I am not actively advertising for submissions to Scarlet Tie Books. The website is there for information purposes should people wish to take a look.

* I am offering the Scarlet Tie Books label to authors who may want to join us and not pressuring those who don’t.

* And lastly – This is the first and final time I will discuss the matter on my Blogs under my writing pseudonym. Any questions or inquiries can be emailed to me via the contact details on the Scarlet Tie Books website. My goal with Scarlet Tie is to assist writers who may not be able to find representation elsewhere. For ex: Graphic fiction. This assistance is not being forced upon anyone and is there as another publication option.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
After much hype in late '12 for a new website and bookstore coming in '13, there's now little more than an author page and the statement "Scarlet Tie Books is a private publishing label for Zathyn Priest and is not open for submissions."

ETA: Site now SEO "blog". Cover design services currently offered via his FB page.)

Last edited: