• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Schiel & Denver Publishing

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Enter Your ZipCode for U.S. Bookstores »

Find out where your book will be on sale if you publish with S&D. We supply major chains like Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and support local indies as well.

Well, we all know what that means. Very weird that they have an eagle in the foreground of an American flag. Shades of Patton? Or PA?

Ack.

Tri

hotboss

Registered
Reaction score
Schiel and Denver is Great!

Avoid this company www.schieldenver.com I have had nothing but problems with them.
They do not deliver on their own promises and I think they are very lazy.
Here is a quote from an email I received from the Editor at Schiel & Denver Publishing:
"We also do not appreciate being cited on a libellous and vicious forum, such as 'absolutewrite.'
It is disturbing to see an editor write with spelling mistakes, I will not tolerate such rudeness.
Especially after paying this company a small fortune to produce the audio book...
Apparently, S&D staff were insulted by your post
www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122860
Their attempts to censor me are both illegal and unconstitutional under American laws.
Schiel & Denver often responds to emails with form letters or ignores them altogether.
When I printed by book through Publish America, they had better customer service.
Plus, Publish America did not charge me a fortune up front, like Schiel & Denver.
I was shocked at how complacent and disorganized S&D staff were.
My book is short, only 50 pages, and they could not deliver results.
I cannot imagine how they would handle a 100 page or 150 page book.
S&D has wasted three (3) weeks of time without showing much progress for it.
This company has a serious attitude problem, and a superiority complex.
If you need to mail them paperwork, you have to send it to England at your own expense.
They claim to have an office in the United States, but they do not provide an address.
I searched tax records, licenses and everything else for this company,
And there was no American address registered anywhere, only their UK location.
They keep this a secret, if it even exists, because they know that...
If you want to file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau,
Like I wanted to, you cannot do so without a business address in the USA.

Last edited:

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
congratswave.gif

and

pmwelcome_e0.gif

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Their Why Choose S&D? page is a piece of work, complete with emphasis on Christian Values[SUP]TM[/SUP].

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh! Oh! Pick me! I want the $20,000 package!
Actually if you know authors, and you don't like them you can
"Get $100 check when one of your friends publishes their book with Schiel & Denver"

Wow. I think this is the most $$$$$$$$ I have ever seen.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Schiel & Denver? Depends on how you feel about a firm that advertises via automated comment spam that grabs random sentences from a thread, strings them together, plants a link to Schiel & Denver in the middle, and posts the result as a new comment.

To everyone who thought they sounded dishonest: good ear.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I appreciate the list and I didn't see the self publisher I intend to use.

That doesn't mean they are perfect I realize.

Has anyone heard of or used Schiel & Denver.

Not so much actually; they're not a self-publisher, they're a vanity publisher. They ask authors to pay for services.

They are deliberately using enticing and easily misinterpreted language in an effort to manipulated customers emotionally; respectable publishers don't do that to authors because authors are not customers.

You can read about them here.

They are not going to be able to "get your book in stores." All they will do is provide a listing wherein a bookstore can order a copy for a customer who requests it. They may require the customer to pay in advance.

I'd hold off.

Have you submitted your book to commercial publishers?

Have you had it workshopped or beta read?

I hate to see people paying to have a book published. I'm not really seeing them providing anything you couldn't do with a publisher you don't pay, like Lulu or CreateSpace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
Self Publishing with . . . . (merged into applicable BR&BC thread)

Has anyone used Schiel & Denver self publisher?

I'm looking to use them and haven't seen a negative review.

I have talked with a dozen others, this one seems legit.

I would not use Xlibris. The guy I talked to was pushy!
Gave me the impression he worked for commision.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Has anyone used Schiel & Denver self publisher?

Terminology check: No one 'uses a self-publisher'. You either self-publish or use a vanity publisher. Some companies provide paid-for services that self-publishers can buy, such as editing or cover design, but the self-publisher is buying the service, not 'using a self-publisher'. If an outfit puts out your book for you, charging you fees to do so, it's a vanity publisher.

More to the point, there's a thread on Schiel & Denver in the BR&BC forum where you can get more information.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Cathy, you've asked the same question in three threads and the answer is basically the same: proceed with extreme caution. Vanity publishers often make lots of empty promises. (Edit: That's not to say that this one is, but just to point out that you should verify a company's claims, not just take them at their word.)

Many vanity publishers use deceptive language like "available in brick-and-mortar bookstores" to make it sound like they get books on shelves, when what they mean is, someone could walk into a store and special order the book. They'll say things like "we send a press release" when what they mean is, "We spam people." Or my personal favorite, the "custom-designed covers" that are nothing more than your name and title stamped on a public domain photo or a generic template. I've also seen vanity publishers try to sell authors everything from personal websites to overpriced bookmarks and banners. It's all built around the idea to make you pay more so you can feel like a "real published author."

Read the thread on this company and make your decision from there. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
www.cathymcdowell.vpweb.com
Cathy, you've asked the same question in three threads and the answer is basically the same: proceed with extreme caution. Vanity publishers often make lots of empty promises. (Edit: That's not to say that this one is, but just to point out that you should verify a company's claims, not just take them at their word.)

Many vanity publishers use deceptive language like "available in brick-and-mortar bookstores" to make it sound like they get books on shelves, when what they mean is, someone could walk into a store and special order the book. They'll say things like "we send a press release" when what they mean is, "We spam people." Or my personal favorite, the "custom-designed covers" that are nothing more than your name and title stamped on a public domain photo or a generic template. I've also seen vanity publishers try to sell authors everything from personal websites to overpriced bookmarks and banners. It's all built around the idea to make you pay more so you can feel like a "real published author."

Read the thread on this company and make your decision from there. Best of luck!

Yes, I have asked the same question in three threads and so far I have been directed to three year old answers . . . things do change and still have not been answered :)

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Yes, I have asked the same question in three threads and so far I have been directed to three year old answers . . . things do change and still have not been answered :)

That's because at AW, the BR&BC forum is where we discuss publishers. That puts it all in one place, one thread per publisher, where people can find it without having search all over the very large Water Cooler.

Also? The most recent post on Schiel & Denver is from Sept 2011. The best way to get an idea of a publisher is to read the entire thread, not look at the date of the first post and dismiss the whole thing.

That thread has a lot of pertinent information.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hi Cathy,

I believe from one of your posts, you mention you were considering this publisher where the author pays $599 to have short stories published.

You should not pay to publish short stories. Ever. Especially that astronomical amount.

If you want to self-publish, go to Smashwords or Amazon and you can self-publish your shorts for free and with exposure. Just read through the free Smashwords online guidebook. It's not hard to format a manuscript for ebooks. I'm sure it's not hard to self-publish hardcopies, too.

Or you can go to duotrope.com and do a search of print and/or online magazines that publish what you write. They don't (and shouldn't) charge you, and you might even be paid.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

You want an answer? Here's an answer. They're a vanity press. Stay the heck away from them.

Ignore this if you want to learn for yourself why "experience" is so often described as "bitter."

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I think I was pretty specific in my responses.

They're charging you money for very little in the way of service.

They aren't editing.

They won't get your books in stores; all they are doing is getting a listing in a single ordering system.

Have you had your stories critted? Have you been submitting?

So you have beta readers?

Why waste a publishing opportunity with a publisher that charges you when instead you could be paid and have your stories where people will actually be able to buy and read them?

Frankly, if you're determined to do this now, I don't see why you would pay them to do something you can do yourself.

But I think you'd be smarter and happier in the long run if you waited, worked on more stories or a novel, and submitted.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last books published in April, both site and LinkedIn vanished late November, and the Companies House lists them with a "proposal to strike off", which I gather is S&D filing official notice they're no longer in business.