The Newer Never-Ending PublishAmerica / America Star Books Thread

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I surfed through their site and noticed a lack of promising editing of the books. No where could I find anything to indicate that they plan to edit anything, whether foreign or domestic.

Is this the new money saving promise, they will leave the books exactly as they arrive, only with a translation?

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to think they did that to try to avoid the poisoned well that the name "PublishAmerica" has become. I hope it won't take Google long to catch up, so that a search for "America Star Books" will pull up all the sites related to PublishAmerica.

Google tends to be quick about this sort of thing, at least from what I've observed. AW has serious Google juice, too, so the fact that the two business names are linked here is a good thing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to think they did that to try to avoid the poisoned well that the name "PublishAmerica" has become. I hope it won't take Google long to catch up, so that a search for "America Star Books" will pull up all the sites related to PublishAmerica.

This is part of the reason I try to mention both the Publish America and America Star Books names in the same post.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
They say in their own post on their FB page "PublishAmerica has been aquired by American Star Books" I'm guessing that's the spin on being outed.

Last edited:

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
Google tends to be quick about this sort of thing, at least from what I've observed. AW has serious Google juice, too, so the fact that the two business names are linked here is a good thing.

You are right. Out of curiosity, I ran a Google search on "America Star Books" and the third entry mentions that it is just PublishAmerica under a new name.

Chris1981

Just Another Transman
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are right. Out of curiosity, I ran a Google search on "America Star Books" and the third entry mentions that it is just PublishAmerica under a new name.

Good! Now, for everybody seeking publication to hit Google/other search engine before signing, or even submitting, anything. :)

Smort

Registered
Reaction score
I hear ya

I'm not sure if PA contacted my family and friends (all those email addresses I provided them - maybe they tried selling them a PA contract) but you gotta admit if THAT was the extent of their marketing campaign, then that should've been my first clue that they weren't legit.

My brother-in-law recommended them and, for his paperback book on elder home care it provided him with a bound book. He then sold copies, which is what you do as an author for PA. You don't have an editor or an agent.

Bottom line: I have a bound book, somehow (constant nagging I suppose) I ended up with the illustrations in the correct order and a layout that makes sense and I have a bound book. My kids got to see the struggles that I went through publishing a book and I still bring it out at book reading clubs and what-not as a "published author."

Since this is the beginning of the Newer NEPAT, let me state the reasons why I am dissatisfied with my PublishAmerica experience:

* The price PA set for my book is not competitive ($24.95 softcover, $29.95 hardcover).
* The bookstore managers I spoke to would not stock print on demand books and looked at me and my PA book as if I had the plague.
* Without the look inside feature on Amazon, no one can read any part of my book and get an idea of my style of writing. PA denied me the digital rights when I asked them for them for the express purpose of posting them on Amazon.
* I have received a ton of solicitations (PA calls them "special offers") to purchase my own books, yet PA never sent the notification to my family and friends, nor did they send out a press release. In the PA contract these items fall under the wording "at PA's discretion."
* I was banned from the PA message board. When I asked PA why I was banned, I received an e-mail stating that they didn't owe their authors an explanation.
* I didn't like the cover art for my book, but when I said as much, the other option I was offered was a red rose that looked like clip art. I chose the first option, it was better than the red rose, which had absolutely nothing to do with my book.
* The line-by-line edit that PA said they would do was nonexistent. They put a disclaimer in the front of the book stating that it was being left exactly as the author wrote it (I'm actually glad about this now, since I have heard horror stories about PA inserting errors into books!). I wanted a line-by-line edit. I wanted to know what areas I needed to work on. A quickie spell check is not editing.
* I was under the mistaken impression that PA read submissions and published works based on their merit. I have learned that this is not the case. PA will publish just about anything.

Those are the main reasons, although there are more. Suffice it to say, I am done with PA and can't wait until my rights are returned to me -- six years and counting.

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I look back with nostalgia at the early days of the Never-Ending PA thread. dozens of posts a day, hard to keep up with them all. I'm sure it's a good thing that we might get a dozen a month. It probably means the word is out there.

But, it was fun to read. (Of course, I'm a sadist, lol.)

Last edited:

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I notice the BBB of Greater Maryland has caught on to the fact that America Star Books and PublishAmerica are the same thing. The link to PublishAmerica's "F" rating on my web page now goes to America Star Books' "F" rating. :)

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
wow this thread has calm down alot. PA must be all besides themselves that they haven't made new writers misserable lately. Hope is always there that the internet would swollow them whole. Have a great week and keep the faith.

Don Davidson

Theophilus
Registered
Reaction score
Website
p7.hostingprod.com
I’m seeking some advice and guidance from you experts as I approach the end of my seven-year enslavement to PublishAmerica (ends July 27th), because I am starting to seriously consider trying to get some of my past writings and/or current projects published. I’ve been reading books about the subject and have many questions, among which are:
1. All of my past completed writings (theological and historical) have been posted on my web site, which has probably been visited by only a few score of people. Would I be wasting my time to try to get those published? And if not, should I remove them from my web site for the time being, or does that really matter?
2. Where on AW would you recommend I go to get some honest feedback on whether any of these past writings and/or current projects are worthy of publication?
3. I’ve started writing some fictional stories. My impression from the books I’ve read so far is that an agent is not necessary to try to get short stories published in a magazine, but that novel-length books probably require an agent to get published. What is your experience?
4. I’ve also read that most agents won’t seriously consider you unless you have published something. What is your experience?
5. I’ve read that the best approach is to send an agent a simple letter describing what I have to offer, and to not send anything else unless they request it. Assuming that is true, should I start querying agents only when I have a completed project to offer, or as soon as I have enough written that I could send them something if they ask for it?
That’s all the questions I’ve come up with so far. Thanks in advance for the feedback and info. Please redirect me in AW if that would be more appropriate for this topic, as this is the only AW forum I’ve ever visited.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hi, Don. Congrats on your impending freedom.

Material published on a blog, no matter how obscure, is considered published. You might do fine self publishing it in book form, but few agents and editors are going to want it unless 1) it's been heavily revised and 2) there is a lot of readership potential.

Query agents on single projects only. Once you catch their interest, then you can discuss your career.

Agents and editors take on unpublished writers all the time. The story matters more than your publishing history.

AW has a great self-publishing section and a good memoir forum, if that's your thing.