Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Dean Winchester fangirl over here. Sam is so stinking hot, but Dean? He's the whole package for me. Love me a bad boy. sigh.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch the shows - I assume they are TV shows - that are being talked about. So I have no opinion. ;)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they're TV. I don't watch either any more -- well Gilmore Girls has been off the air for a bit, and Supernatural is still going... but yeah...I don't watch much TV anymore. (&yes I am a recent college graduate:tongue) I just find I don't have the time for it.
Though now that I am on "summer" break I seem to be watching it a lot more...but dumb shows, like Say Yes to Dress (women finding their wedding dresses). so, basically, bad reality TV.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I never tried Supernatural, though I don't know why since the Wincest alone should have drawn me into it. It must have been against another show when it started. Now I don't have cable, so I just watch Glee on hulu and that's about it.

And I loved Jess too. GG's Dean was cute at the beginning (as was Rory and then after awhile she just seemed whiny).

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh Jess, the sexy, deep, intelligent bad boy. Loved him.

I liked Dean too at first. The tall, hot, good guy. I'm a sucker for the bad boy though.

I miss GG! Although I'm kind of interested to see how the new show "Bunheads" by the same creator turns out. It even has the actress who played Emily Gilmore on it!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Bunheads is based on a YA novel, though I don't think the show and the book have the same premise. But yea, I am interested to see how it turns out - the last thing the GG producer did was Life Unexpected and that got cut after 2 seasons. *sigh*

And *sa-woon* Here's some Jess for y'all:
Jess-jess-mariano-3156970-400-300.jpg

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the novel in B&N but I didn't look at it so I don't know what the premise is. The show is about a Las Vegas showgirl who marries (I think) a guy and moves in with him and his mom and starts teaching dance classes in her studio.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if Bunheads was related to the YA novel. I haven't read it, but I've kinda wanted to check it out.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I think there is a free preview of the show online somewhere. I kinda want to check it out, too. :)

Also :snoopy: I just got to 46,000 words in my revisions-are-being-done-to-ya novel :D YAY!! (Originally it was 46k then when I had to change a plot line, it went down to 37k and now it is back to 46k. Trying to get it to 50k...somehow) Squee!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Great job! 50K is a good goal to shoot for. Contemporary can sometimes get away with being a little shorter.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was so worried I'd never make it back up to 46 again. *sighs with relief*
Now onto 47k...:gone:

How goes TM?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm, um, supposed to be pink-penning it now, lol. *was going to use the hiding emoticon, but you just did*

I got to a ridiculous scene and haven't been able to focus because I don't know how to fix it or if it even needs fixing. I might just let betas tell me if it's actually bad or not.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
:gone:

:roll: Sorry I just wanted to tease you with that emoticon again.

As for that scene, you can do it. You could mark it or flag it or something for your betas if you're feeling unsure. :Shrug: only my suggestion...

I have to say writing about looking at colleges/applying is so funny to write about after just graduating :tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that there aren't more YA books that focus on this.

If I do a sequel to TM, that will totally be a theme (right now they do have a scene where they think lightly about what they want to do with their lives, but no real college searching). In LS, Eric talks about applying to colleges in a couple of scenes, but Mai's just a sophomore, so she hasn't gotten that far.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Got past the scene, phew. Now to a Justin scene, yay!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! :snoopy:

Well in VD, there is 'talk' of college searching, but no going-to-look is actually done. There is studying and also SAT taking, though.

I can think of one book off the top of my head, pubbed YA, that is girl-goes-to-look at college, and that's ENCHANT3D IVY by $arah B3th Dur$t.

I, also, am surprised there's not more college-related YA books. I wish there were. I know my 18 year old self would've loved it. I think that's why I reread $econd Helpinq$ so often during that time period (the mc talks a lot about the college process/applications).

Hm. Maybe we should write it.:e2writer:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I know that publishers don't believe that protags in college don't interest teens (I don't know why. I would have loved books about college). But college-searching is so huge senior (and junior) year that it's surprising that it's barely ever used in YA novels. You see it in high-school-set tv shows a lot, so it's not like it's turning people off.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I just had a looong talk with some family members over the weekend on why I cannot, in fact, publish a book about my (or fictional) college years. Not that they were very interesting or anything.
They're all "But college must be so exciting to read about for teens."
Me: "It doesn't sell."
Them: "But why not?"
Me: *tears out hair and sobs into dinner plate*

I agree - college searching is such a huge part of jr. and sr. year- it is such a shame there isn't more about it in YA.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
It would have been helpful to me to read about teens looking at colleges. It might have given me a clue as to what to do about that.

All the protags in my day were living on a prairie or bad boys who wouldn't go to college. LOL.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Yay for getting stuff done on WIPs! My Mother in law had my Daughter all day yesterday, and I wrote an alternate first chapter for mine *points to link in signature*. Still not sure how I feel about the actual piece, but I feel good that I did something significant.

And I have a dumb question...why are you you guys using dollar signs and things in place of letters in titles and author names?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Good morning, all!

Day of crap planned here. Loaned my van out to family to move a desk yesterday and it ended up blowing 1-6 spark plugs, 1-6 ignition coils, or some combo of both, and I find out today what the damage is. Worst case scenario is $850 from our normal mechanic, and somewhere around half that from our neighbor who owns a tire shop (they also do general stuff). But yeah, even $425 is a poop ton of money for us, so...yeah. And then I also get to wait for the Charter cable people to come hook up our new Internet this afternoon. Yay.

Getting some great feedback from my first posting in SYW, though, so I'm hoping to get some writing done at some point today!

How's everyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.