The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I have three market related posts!

- here is my blog about the W'shington p'stime FYI. http://thewrittenabsurd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/strange-tale-of-rejected-acceptance.html

- White Cat Magazine and White Cat Publications have removed themselves from Duotrope. I don't know if it was connected, but I sent a query about my story that has been with them for 190 days. I guess they went under?

- Is anyone else waiting for Nameless? Anyone else getting bad vibes?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Yes and not really, not yet. If there aren't any peeps for another month or so then probably yes.

I only get the bad vibes because a) their site scares me and b) they said they would be contacting people soon nearly a week ago and not one person on DT has reported anything.

I'm sure all is good.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I have three market related posts!

- here is my blog about the W'shington p'stime FYI. http://thewrittenabsurd.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/strange-tale-of-rejected-acceptance.html
You were too kind. :tongue I would've named them just to give others the heads up, so no one else makes the same assumption.

- White Cat Magazine and White Cat Publications have removed themselves from Duotrope. I don't know if it was connected, but I sent a query about my story that has been with them for 190 days. I guess they went under?
Their site is still up. *checks* Says removed by editor. I'm guessing he didn't like how duo pegged them as one of the "most unresponsive" markets. But you know, you reap what you sow. I subbed to them once and withdrew my story after 80 some-odd days after hearing how Alex wasn't paid until after he queried. A writer shouldn't have to inquire when they're going to get paid.

Frankly, I do not see this zine lasting all that long.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
ISLET - after having my 500 word story for 250 days and not responding to my query, I have reported this market as not responding on DT. They don't allow sim subs either so I heartily suggest NOT subbing to them.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Is anyone else waiting for Nameless? Anyone else getting bad vibes?

FYI, on Facebook they've said that the TOC is coming out this weekend.

Which would sure seem to indicate that if you haven't seen a contract then your story isn't in (at least this issue's) TOC.

But who knows?

I'm going to wait until Monday and if I haven't heard anything I'll query.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, on Facebook they've said that the TOC is coming out this weekend.

Yeah, I saw that. But they have said similar things before. The thing is, what if one of our stories was on that TOC without contacting us? They seem to imply they only pay if you are in the print edition and I wouldn't want to give the story away. I'm thinking of retracting my sub.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
You were too kind. :tongue I would've named them just to give others the heads up, so no one else makes the same assumption.
I think in situations like this it's better to name them. Maybe your experience was a fluke, but maybe it wasn't. Naming names could help someone else avoid the same mistakes, or if someone involved with the market found the post it might even inspire some changes.
Your blog your choice of course, just my 2 cents.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Yeah, I saw that. But they have said similar things before. The thing is, what if one of our stories was on that TOC without contacting us? They seem to imply they only pay if you are in the print edition and I wouldn't want to give the story away. I'm thinking of retracting my sub.

Hmm... The people associated with this have enough of a background that I'm (perhaps optimistically) thinking that they're not going to just out-and-out screw over authors like that.

Not saying you shouldn't retract your sub if you're worried. I'm going to let mine ride, though.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
FYI - I queried Apex about last years editor-swap-batch-rejection and whether I could resub. They said:

"Every story from before March of 2012 has been processed. Unless your old story has been substantially changed from the last time you submitted it, it's highly unlikely that we would accept it for publication."

I am still not sure that "processed" means "read", especially given Pem's recent revelation.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I am still not sure that "processed" means "read", especially given Pem's recent revelation.
meatgrinder.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I was checking The Uninvited's site for some sign that they'd be responding soon, and found something new on their submission page.

Reading period is by invite only, which I take it means solicited submissions. So what does that mean for all those unsolicited submissions in waiting?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I was checking The Uninvited's site for some sign that they'd be responding soon, and found something new on their submission page.

Reading period is by invite only, which I take it means solicited submissions. So what does that mean for all those unsolicited submissions in waiting?

So I guess we're all...uninvited? *rimshot*

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry to harp on about this, but this was Duotropes response to me about the Washington Pastime and their dubious listing.

"After contacting the editor and having a discussion with him, we feel that our listing is accurate. While they do primarily pay token rates, they have paid out pro rates as well."

Frankly I don't think this is good enough. They show up in EVERY search for a pro-market due to them accepting all genres - but they are a de facto token market. It's so deceptive and actually undermines duotrope!!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry to harp on about this, but this was Duotropes response to me about the Washington Pastime and their dubious listing.

"After contacting the editor and having a discussion with him, we feel that our listing is accurate. While they do primarily pay token rates, they have paid out pro rates as well."

Frankly I don't think this is good enough. They show up in EVERY search for a pro-market due to them accepting all genres - but they are a de facto token market. It's so deceptive and actually undermines duotrope!!

That is a bit odd, but Duotrope feels they need to stick to their system, I suppose. It does seem like any market could pay the occasional pro rate on top of their usual token rates, simply to elevate their standing on Duotrope, i.e. playing the system.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
That is a bit odd, but Duotrope feels they need to stick to their system, I suppose. It does seem like any market could pay the occasional pro rate on top of their usual token rates, simply to elevate their standing on Duotrope, i.e. playing the system.

Absolutely spot on. If every token market did this, Duotrope would be impossible to navigate. And bare in mind, they only have to offer a pro rate for a 50 word flash piece to count as a pro market using this logic.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. If every token market did this, Duotrope would be impossible to navigate. And bare in mind, they only have to offer a pro rate for a 50 word flash piece to count as a pro market using this logic.

We must simply become keener market researchers in future. Wrap tinfoil around our antennae.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... So Duotrope tell me I am the only one that has actually complained about the Washington Pastimes pay rates. If anyone else here feels strongly about this matter, please do drop them a line.

Last edited:

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... So Duotrope tell me I am the only one that has actually complained about the Washington Pastimes pay rates. If anyone else here feels strongly about this matter, please do drop them a line.
*raises hand* I complained, and I believe Alex did too. So either they lost our complaints or they're bullshitting you. And I'm not exactly pleased with their response.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I complained as well, so they aren't telling the truth.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Well that is strange. I complained to them in a fashion that assumed others had as well, so felt like a bit of a lone gunman when they sent this:

"We have logged your complaint. Please keep in mind, that as you yourself mention, this market has a significant number of reported submissions with us, and yours is the only complaint we have received in the ten months this market has been listed at Duotrope. As such, we have done what we felt was appropriate, including communicating with the editors directly, but we will not change the market details based on a single complaint."

Why would duotrope lie???? Can we do anything?

Did you guys email them or use one of their forms? I have their email if that helps.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is the response I got from them on April 3:

---
Dear Alex,

We have made an internal note of this and will monitor the situation. Thank you for letting us know your concerns.

Best wishes,
Shannon - one of the Duotroopers (admin team)
---

So there's an acknowledgment of my complaint and confirmation that (supposedly) they recorded it.