I Need a Cookie...

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Two rejects in one day for my subbed novella. The first one called it 'creative', but not for them and yup creative was quoted like that (is that sarcasm?) The other stated they didn't like the first person POV of the novella and suggested I rewrite it in third. That's not going to happen. :(

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm irked over the saracastic feel of the first one. But I'll get over it.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I just felt it was sarcastic at the time, but perhaps I am reading into it.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Gah!! An editor who was really interested in my urban fantasy series left that house and orphaned me. Received an R from the editorial committee via my agent. I have a "strong voice, remarkable sense of humor" and created "a wonderful world." But it's still an R.

So frustrated I want to cry!! This coming on the heels of my Damaged Heroes sweeping the Published Lories... (Two first places, one second, one third.) How can so many people like me, but not a single editor is willing to give me a shot???
:e2drown:
I know. Whine, whine, whine... I'm really sorry. I just need to tell someone who understands as only other writers can... :flag:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! :: offers whole plate of cookies :: Sorry about losing your editor. :( The right editor is out there. (clearly hiding or something, but still out there)

xccorpio

Registered
Reaction score
Gah!! An editor who was really interested in my urban fantasy series left that house and orphaned me. Received an R from the editorial committee via my agent. I have a "strong voice, remarkable sense of humor" and created "a wonderful world." But it's still an R.

So frustrated I want to cry!! This coming on the heels of my Damaged Heroes sweeping the Published Lories... (Two first places, one second, one third.) How can so many people like me, but not a single editor is willing to give me a shot???
:e2drown:
I know. Whine, whine, whine... I'm really sorry. I just need to tell someone who understands as only other writers can... :flag:

I'm sorry to hear that, but we never know what's best, you might get a better deal with another publisher.
Congrats on your Damaged Heroes' success, that tells you something positive, right?

:Hug2:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection today... Funny enough, it didn't evoke any reaction from me good or bad.

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
It appears no one has baked here in a while, so I'll just go ahead and order up a tray or two of cookies.

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my NY pub requested full leaving the nest...obviously they don't want the story (although, I wish they'd just R'd me months ago)

That's not the biggest problem...aside from short stories and a couple articles written as ''nother me' this is the last of my romance queries.

I feel so...out of the loop...out of the game...just...out of it.:cry:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cookie: Have some cookies, Lainey! I hear you on being out of the loop. It's an odd lonely feeling when you have nothing to query. Any new romance novels in the works for you? The next one you write could be "the one."

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It appears no one has baked here in a while, so I'll just go ahead and order up a tray or two of cookies.

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my NY pub requested full leaving the nest...obviously they don't want the story (although, I wish they'd just R'd me months ago)

That's not the biggest problem...aside from short stories and a couple articles written as ''nother me' this is the last of my romance queries.

I feel so...out of the loop...out of the game...just...out of it.:cry:

Ugh! I hate that some don't respond. :(

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com

I would normally just offer you some milk to go with the cookie, but felt it important to let you know about something that happened to our first book. When our agent accepted us, she sent the manuscript out to six different publishers. We entertained a few early offers and accepted Tor's. However, TWO YEARS after the book hit the shelf (which means THREE years since we shopped the ms.), our agent got another call--from a publisher who had just finally made it down in her stack to the ms. She called our agent to ask if it was still available and she'd like to make an offer.

My point is that time has no meaning in this business. While a year means a bunch to us authors, a year is truly nothing to them. It's just four seasons and they're scheduling out as far as 8-12 seasons right now.

I won't say not to continue to sub stuff regardless of whether someone has the full, but I wouldn't get discouraged either. If the full was requested, it could very well be sitting on someone's desk with a nothing more than a sticky note as a reminder of how long it's been sitting there. :ROFL:

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Thanks for the cookies, Soccer Mom. I do feel lonely and like I've lost momentum just as it was building. I have one contemporary romance that recently fell off the agent-query-go-round with lots of positive feedback. I wanted it to go larger press but I may research small press options for it so I can feel back in the saddle.

Brain, I've actually grown accustomed to non-response on queries, but a nr on a full that was quickly and enthusiastically requested REALLY stings...BUT...

Cathy's story gives me hope, in a twisted way. Three years? Ouch. The requested ms is more a mainstream with romantic elements and I've got another ms that 'matches' almost complete. I'm considering 'nudging' the editor with the blurb for the new book when I feel it's ready to fly, just to show the original sub wasn't a one-off. Good idea or too pushy, you think?

:Hug2: to all for the support and understanding.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. It would for me too.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Now I can't remember who it was, but I heard one author say that she used to send her submissions birthday cards when the one-year date came around.