The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM St George

Re: Actually

www.publishamerica.com/cg...al/581.htm

and the bashing continues; without John able to defend himself due to PA banning him from the boards.

HB Marcus is certainly going to win over plenty of friends with this sort of ranting. Childish at the minimum; psychotic at the extreme.

sheesh.

jmo, ymmv.

CWGranny

Poor John

I am sure when John's book sells out the advance (which will be well more than $1) and he begins getting royalty checks that reflect that his sales are expotentially higher than the best of the PA authors -- I am sure he's going to hang his head and moan about leaving PA...the publisher who arranges these great signing events...oh, wait, right, they didn't arrange the one in Ohio. So, the one whom bookstores recognize and cheerfully agree to stock...oh, wait, right, that's not PA either. Um...the one who made sure the bookstore were able to get a huge supply of the books for the PA authors at the sale...right, they didn't do that either.

Hmmm.

I'm sure they did something great. After all, Marcus' agent recommended them. Didn't Marcus get all mad because the agent turned out to be a scammer who wanted to pick his pocket? That certainly makes him an authority on wise choices.

Gran

GravityFades

Holy cow is right. All I can say in reply (seeing as I can no longer post over there) as that my publicist told me orders are already coming in from the sales force for my book. She said the excitement level is high among the reps, and they're translating that into sales. Here's my take on it: let's say you've always wanted to own a new Chevy. Or whatever. And one day it comes true. You take delivery, and for a while things go fine. Then problems begin to develop, and after a while you wish you'd never bought it. But it's yours, and you make the best of it. If someone asks you if owning a Chevy is a good idea,you relate what your experience with them has been. (Sorry, Chevy owners, this is just for illustration). Then comes the day you find yourself able to buy another new car. And you do. But this time, it ain't a Chevy. The analogy hangs true, I think. I hold no brief with my old publisher. They did publish my first novel. But due to problems inherent with the POD model, opportunities that came to move larger quantities of books, opportunities I could have taken advantage of, I had to let go by. So when it came time to consider this publisher again, I chose not to. That's all it is: purely a business decision. For those happy with them, good onya. I've simply moved on.

John

emeraldcite

well, at least you'll have no problems getting signings without having to give away a guitar. lol.

Ed Williams 3

I sincerely wonder...

...if maybe PA isn't slipping HB a little money on the side. Surely he is not this ignorant...

RealityChuck

Re: I sincerely wonder...

Hypocracy watch, Chapter XXVII:

PA authors get slammed if they criticize PA, but if you complain about problems with your legitimate publisher, the PAdroids constantly parrot it all over their boards.

dgkgoldberg

I really think HB is a true believer.

Really.

emeraldcite

yeah, PA doesn't have to pay him, he completely believes everything he's spouting. He's the one beleiver that can really attest to the vision of the cult leader. he'll drive them into the flock with his blind faith.

come into the flock, my children, we did make you happy.

:rollin

Ed Williams 3

You know, it is reprehensible...

....to pile onto someone when they are not allowed a chance for fair rebuttal. PA really is a like a cult - all dissention is surpressed, and only one line of thinking is allowed. Most of their authors will never get out of their cocoon and see that there is another line of thinking out there re book publishing. In some cases, that doesn't matter because some PA authors won't be published by anyone else anyway. Conversely, there are some very talented authors writing for them, and they're throwing away their books, their effort and time invested, and their writing skills into a cesspool like PA. That is the most reprehensible thing about them, that they represent themselves as a legit publisher, when they are anything but. Sooner or later someone is going to initiate legal action against them for deception or fraud, and maybe then they will be put on the literary sidelines for good.

dgkgoldberg

AND FROM THE SAME THREAD

"This year was a hard year for me, I had a heart attack in April. Thank God I am alive and well. God is so good. I have worked hard hours to afford my books and then stepped out in faith to send autographed copies to celebrities, in an effort to promote, yet one review says that I only post letters from people who have received copies of my book, is this a self recognition publicity stunt. "

This from the same thread.
It's almost heartbreaking.

Canada James

subject

"I know PA itself believes it's authors are stupid but I don't think it's very nice for you to back up this particular belief. The TRUTH is that the PA message board posts make it VERY CLEAR that those PA authors do, in fact, believe that someone is assigned to carefully edit their manuscript -- looking for all errors (which include spelling, grammar, and changes in character names, and similar mistakes that can only be caught if you read the book)."

You know what Granny? I've had many conversations with PA authors regarding spelling, grammar and editing. *I* never suggested PA authors are stupid. Let's get THAT out of the way. But, most of them know exactly what kind of editing they are getting and feel that as long as they have an entertaining story the mechanics don't matter. I'm basing my assumption on countless conversations with them, just so you know.

"I, personally, think they are competent adults who are being taken advantage of...not stupid children who would be happy as clams to find out that the "editing" they thought was happening was really just a spellcheck."

I'm not sure what logic you stretched to get to that conclusion, therefore I'm going to ignore it.

Dave:
"As to the show you believe is going on, you're welcome to believe you're entertaining."

It's called "sarcasm."

"I do not see you warning anyone of what to beware of or how to avoid being stiffed in the wallet by some of the scammers that are out there."

You're right Dave. Some of us aren't doing it to be seen. You assume too much of me.

PA has you right where it needs to keep you ineffectual. Keep arguing over editing, store distribution and price. Heck, bring up old points like movie rights! Good job guys! Good job!

Doubt me? Check out the PA new releases for today. You lose again.

Canada James

DaveKuzminski

Re: subject

You know what, Canada James? You can't read worth a damn. If you look at the quote you made of Granny's posting, you'll clearly see that she stated PA and not you. Or do you work for PublishAmerica in a staff function contrary to your previous statements? Come on, Canada James, you can't have it both ways here.

Then you argue with someone's belief about something regarding the logic they used when it's quite obvious? At least Granny recognized the fact that those individuals have to be competent in order to succeed at writing a whole book. You just snapped off a snide remark in order to discredit her thinking.

As to your warning people, I haven't so much as even heard a peep from anyone remarking that Canada James really helped them avoid a scam. On the other hand, I often hear such kind remarks about others, especially those who have the COURAGE to post their words PUBLICLY so that they can assist more than just one individual at a time. All you do is ride a roller coaster, praising PublishAmerica loudly on the peaks and muttering very low in the dips.

So, what's on the new releases page that we should care about? I looked, but the print on the images was too small for it to hardly even qualify as marketing for all those books, if that's what PublishAmerica considers that page to be. I noticed they sure get as much attention as Jamie Farr. How long has he been on the front page of their site?

Ed Williams 3

Maybe they need to do drug testing over at PA...

"Don't get me wrong. I love it when people get offered an advance. The thing is, you can negotiate your contract with PA for an advance like the professionals do."

Wouldn't you like to be smoking what HB is smoking?

DaveKuzminski

About your next book, Dodgem James

I know you have an agent because you've stated that in one or more of these topics. Even Mr. Macdonald has stated that you have a legitimate agent. Consequently, that means you have another manuscript to be published.

So, you want to tell us why you're not offering it to PublishAmerica? Aren't they good enough for you? Or did they reject it already?

emeraldcite

what reality

what reality are these people living in? really though, it goes to show that most (not all, mind you) of the authors at PA need to be educated on the standards of publishing. what happened to the original poster goes to show that PA will take almost anything and turn it for a buck. the gist of the story: they certainly don't try to help authors like a traditional publisher would.

www.publishamerica.com/cg...n/8949.htm

i really feel bad for some of these folks, they just don't know what to expect and they make things up to fit the story PA feeds them. the price of ink went up...geez.

emeraldcite

afterthought

the proof is in the pudding. and at PA, i was reading an excerpt from a book that they are putting out that switches from third person to first in mid-paragraph.

i had to read it three times to make sure i wasn't drunk or someone hit me over the head.

allion

Re: what reality

Oh boy - 68 pages for how much??

Sure, yeah, ink is really that expensive - like liquid gold, at these prices, I think.

Every day there is a new sad story from that place.

James D Macdonald

Re: what reality

Goodness. The key words are: "5 yrs. ago, I talked with Vantage press ...."

Vantage Press, one of the granddaddies of the Vanity Press world. That isn't quality publishing, folks, though the modern run of PoD vanities does make them look like the Old Established Respectable Business.

The interesting thing is in the list of word-lengths for novels and such.

Here's a bit better information:

<blockquote>
<hr>

Short Story: less than 7,500 words.
Novelette: at least 7,500 words but less than 17,500 words.
Novella: at least 17,500 words but less than 40,000 words.
Novel: 40,000 words or more. At the author's request, a novella-length work published individually, rather than as part of a collection or an anthology, shall appear in the novel category.

<HR>
</blockquote>
<a href="http://www.sfwa.org/awards/rules.htm" target="_new">http://www.sfwa.org/awards/rules.htm</a>

Canada James

subject

Hey Dave, reread Granny's post and start here:

"I don't think it's very nice to suggest all the new PA writers are stupid."

Who is she accusing of suggesting that all PA writers are stupid?

"You just snapped off a snide remark in order to discredit her thinking."

Actually I'm pointing out the obvious: I'm having a new discussion while the rest of you are stuck in reverse.

"As to your warning people, I haven't so much as even heard a peep from anyone remarking that Canada James really helped them avoid a scam."

Not all of us feel the need to inform you of our every action.

"All you do is ride a roller coaster, praising PublishAmerica loudly on the peaks and muttering very low in the dips."

In case you missed what I meant by "stuck in reverse" just reread your quote above.

"So, what's on the new releases page that we should care about?"

The fact that there is a new releases page Dave. As long as that page exists, your efforts are completely ineffectual.
Does it bother you that I might be better at the writer advocate thing than you, or is it just that this town isn't big enough for two caped crusaders?

You aren't going to start a poll on your site to see how many people I've helped, are you?

"So, you want to tell us why you're not offering it to PublishAmerica? Aren't they good enough for you? Or did they reject it already?"

I never said PA was a first-choice publisher. I said they were a gateway and nothing more.

Canada James

DaveKuzminski

As usual, Dodgem James, you live up to your true name. You select passages out of context to back up your claims. Then you duck the real questions to always make yourself look good when you're totally undeserving.

So, tell me, do you model the villains in your books on yourself or Meiners?

CWGranny

Goodness

OF COURSE there's a new release page. The simple truth is that you cannot save everyone. How many years have people been warning writers about the World of Poetry/Poetry.com cheat? There is *NO* slimey deal with more documentation than poetry.com -- and yet, poetry.com keeps filling those books. You cannot judge the success of the watchdog by whether anyone keeps getting scammed. That's like saying that as long as someone gets their pocket picked, the police force is ineffective against crime.

It just means they cannot erradicate it. Yes, that's pretty darn sad but I'm not advocating that all the police force hang their heads in shame because my pregnant little sister got her purse stolen (which she did this week). Nor would I suggest that people like Dave and Victoria and Ann quit giving out warnings just because folks are still getting tricked into believing PA or poetry.com hype and double talk.

But really, even if the watchdogs managed to stop the cash flow to cheats like PA/poetry.com so that both companies folded...there is someone else eagerly waiting to take up their spot. As long as cheating and abusing people is a comfortable activity for some people, as long as they can blame their victims, there will continue to be muggings, and literary cheats. It's just the sad state of the world.

Gran

aka eraser

Canada James said:

"I never said PA was a first-choice publisher. I said they were a gateway and nothing more."

Have you ever said that on the PA message boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.