• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Congrats on the request - kiwiauthor! Keeping my fingers crossed! :D

This thread is the reason I submitted to Samhain, too. Unfortunately, I discovered about 5 minutes after they'd closed to subs last spring and had to wait until August - but it was sooo worth it in the end! ;)

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
cheers, Jersy Chick. It's abit of a long shot with the sort of material I write, hence my surprise at the request for a full. But stranger things have happened.

... worth the wait indeed! Congrats, on your multiple sales. Are you agented? Or do you do all your own subs?

There seem to be two schools of thought on this. The traditional, that is, secure yourself an agent and sell to one of the NY houses Vs sub yourself, usually to the smaller presses. Get a CV of writing credits and then secure an agent and look to the big time.

... I'll look out for Eden's Pass in spring 08. (autumn down my way).

Cheers again,

Alex.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. A question for the authors familar with Samhain. Do you know how the acquisitions process works there? Does the reviewing editor have a great deal fo autonomy in the decision, perhaps making a recommendation to the executive editor, or is the manuscript read by a number of editors?

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
cheers, Jersy Chick. It's abit of a long shot with the sort of material I write, hence my surprise at the request for a full. But stranger things have happened.

... worth the wait indeed! Congrats, on your multiple sales. Are you agented? Or do you do all your own subs?

There seem to be two schools of thought on this. The traditional, that is, secure yourself an agent and sell to one of the NY houses Vs sub yourself, usually to the smaller presses. Get a CV of writing credits and then secure an agent and look to the big time.

... I'll look out for Eden's Pass in spring 08. (autumn down my way).

Cheers again,

Alex.

Thanks! :D

I've been trying (or I was until recently) to land an agent. It's on the shelf now, since I'm in the middle of edits for both books. Once that's out of the way, I'll try again on my current WIP - but from being around here, I've learned soooo much regarding contracts that I'm pretty secure in what to look for. Still... I'd like an agent so I don't have to worry about possibly missing something. ;) Until I land one, at least I'm building up credentials (and readers).

Oh... don't worry - I'll shout down the rooftops when the release date for Eden's Pass nears. That one's near and dear to my heart :D

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
... I've heard it said that the best way to secure an agent is to secure a publishing contract and ask them to negoitate it for you. Of course it would need to be a sizable 'deal' to interest a half decent agent. A bit of a catch twenty-two, really :).

"Until I land one, at least I'm building up credentials (and readers)." You say this with nonchalance! I know a hoard of writers who would kill to have your credentials :)

Have fun, editing.

Alex.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
... joking about the hobbit thing :) the're four million kiwis, and we didn't all work on lotR as is often purported. Sorry, I have a twisted sense of humor.

Saanen, who have you submitted to since?

Aw, you didn't have to disappoint me--I was gonna go watch the movies again and look for you. Even though I don't know what you look like. :)

I've got queries out to a few agents, but I'm going to sub to Mundania when they reopen for submissions next month. I've heard good things about them too.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
... good luck with your sub to Mundania, Saanen. I have a sub going there too. :) Assuming i don't get a positive answer from Samhain before hand.

Hope there server survives the 1st of December onslaught.

Last edited:

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Me Too

I just received a request for a full from them too. It took about a month from when I submitted my partial in October until the request for the full.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!!

Great news for you too smlgr8

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for u.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
I just received a request for a full from them too. It took about a month from when I submitted my partial in October until the request for the full.

I received my request the other day and I was so jazzed I had to calm down before sending my manuscript lol. :)

I got the mail exactly a month after, too.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't sent it yet. Making sure I have everything in beautiful polished order before sending it!

Kiwi, mine was a medieval romance and the editor is named Lindsay. I forget her last name here at work!

S

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
It's little wonder they're P&E top publisher for 07. Their work ethic is tremendous.

S, They seem to have a large number of editors. And if Lindsay and their other editors are anything like Eve, their work ethic is likely matched only by their professionalism. A delight to work with...

Yep, fingers crossed indeed.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Christine, for the word about Lindsay. Hopefully I will get to find out for myself how great she is to work with!

Deborah B

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deborahblakehps.com
Wow, what a great thread1 I'd been talking to Branwyn over at myspace (under her persona there--heya, Twin!) and she mentioned Samhain Publishers. Then I came over here and typed in the word "agent" and somehow ended up in this thread (which I then read from start to finish). On top of that, I actually have a cat named Samhain (no, not making it up). So I'm thinking I might just have to submit to them too:)
Just a note for those of you who don't already know: Samhain (pronounced sow-win) is the name of the Pagan holiday that Halloween comes from.
Good luck to all!