Jonathan Cape Open Submission Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllGirlsCry

Registered
Reaction score
I sent my most literary-feeling novel, though they published a comic I love called "Ghost World" by Daniel Clowes, so they're obviously very broad in terms of genre. The above fact made me just fall in love.

Funnily enough, I just googled "Call for submissions" and stumbled on to their open call page. Like a lot of you guys, I just thought, "What do I have to lose?"

Mine's a psychological/gothic/thriller about a mixed up girl. I don't have high hopes of hearing back, but then again, I never do. *snort* :p

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Jonathon Cape has a Twitter feed. Someone asked them the latest date that everyone should give up on their submissions. The answer was end of September.

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Jonathon Cape has a Twitter feed. Someone asked them the latest date that everyone should give up on their submissions. The answer was end of September.

Thanks for that info - I had just been reading on the internet about subs to imprints taking 1-2 years! I subbed an unfinished lit fantasy a week ago. Fingers crossed for everyone who submits :)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I sent my most literary-feeling novel, though they published a comic I love called "Ghost World" by Daniel Clowes, so they're obviously very broad in terms of genre. The above fact made me just fall in love.
Is "Ghost World" still going on? I've never actually read the comic, but really enjoyed the movie based on it.

I've got something that might actually be suitable for this. I'll have to go to the site later and get a clearer picture of the requirements. (Is it odd it says "50 pages" rather than a wordcount?)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've got something that might actually be suitable for this. I'll have to go to the site later and get a clearer picture of the requirements. (Is it odd it says "50 pages" rather than a wordcount?)

I think its a British thing, most agents ask for a query and first 50 pages over here.

Going to be subbing my novel tomorrow (I know, last minute.) I don't know if my book is right for the list, but RH publish two big Roman Hist Fic writers, so you never know if it will get passed to the relevant editors.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I subbed the first 50 pages of my WiP. (Which is only 80 pages long at the mo!)

Nothing ventured and all that.

I think its a British thing, most agents ask for a query and first 50 pages over here.

Not sure it's a 'British thing'. I've had several US agents/publisher request X number of pages during Twitter pitches and whatnot. Maybe it's a new thing, but not particularly British.

bladestalker

Registered
Reaction score
I send 24 pages as that was all I have completed so far. :(

Again nothing ventured...

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
Did you send those 49?

Yes I did. When they say send 50 pages, they mean roughly. So 48, 49, 51 etc is fine - wherever the natural break comes. 49 was where my chapter ended (and where the WIP is so far, though I'm enjoying writing it, so when I have time, I'll be at it again ) :)

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I wonder if, with the WiPs they'll be receiving, they'll take into account that they should (technically) be even better on subsequent drafts?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I did. When they say send 50 pages, they mean roughly. So 48, 49, 51 etc is fine - wherever the natural break comes. 49 was where my chapter ended (and where the WIP is so far, though I'm enjoying writing it, so when I have time, I'll be at it again ) :)

My chapter finished at the top of 52. I had a choice of either 46 pages or 52. So I went for the cheeky option (if they read that far of course), but I think where I left it was at a good 'hook.'

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Back on June 12, somebody tweeted this to Jonathan Cape: When do we give up hoping to hear about our submissions?

Jonathan Cape's response was: Realistically, by the end of September. But we'd never advise giving up, generally speaking.

So there's still hope. :)

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I sent the first 50 pages of the novel I'm supposed to be editing. Nothing ventured, etc etc etc. I told them upfront it wasn't finalised.

Not heard anything, no. Trying hard not to think about it! lol

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Back on June 12, somebody tweeted this to Jonathan Cape: When do we give up hoping to hear about our submissions?

Jonathan Cape's response was: Realistically, by the end of September. But we'd never advise giving up, generally speaking.

So there's still hope. :)

I was of the opinion (due to the volume of submissions) if they were interested, they would get back to you. Silence meant it was a reject (still only six weeks since the deadline.)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I assume no one has heard anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.