• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Stupid question BUT...how do you 'format' a manuscript?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiteLokidottir

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this sounds silly and I do apologize, but I'm getting very close to querying. Currently, I write using Courier New, font size 12, single spacing, because that's easiest for me to read.

What text, size, and spacing should my manuscript be? I've tried looking on around 12 different agency websites but I've not had much luck. I'm assuming TNR, 12, double spaced? But how do I show italics? I think I read somewhere that when something needs to be in italics it's actually underlined. This is mainly what's got me in a mess.

Sorry again, but I'm nervous and I want to make sure I get it right.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming you are planning to submit in the US (I can't speak to the requirements in other countries), yes, TNR, 12 pt., double spaced. Use italics for italics. The requirement that you use underlining goes back to the days when a typesetter was going to type your manuscript and the underlining would be hard to miss. Same with the two-spaces-after-a-period rule. That's gone with the typewriter.

Generally speaking, you want the title and your name flush left in the header and the page number flush right. However, this can vary from publisher to publisher. Just read the "How to submit" section. It's easy enough to change.

Some agents and publishers want you to submit hard copy, but many (if not most) want electronic submissions.

And yes, you want to get it right because it looks unprofessional to submit a mess, but no one is going to turn down a great book because the author used underlining for italics or all caps for a book title.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't there a stickied thread on this?

Pop - formatting a manuscript- or a similar phrase into the Site Specific Google Custom Search box to the left underneath the Posting Rules box below these posts. It should give a lot of llnks to posts dealing with the topic, including the sticky I mentioned, I think.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I believe some of the older guides out there on the web say you're supposed to use courier (not even a font available in my word program) and to underline instead of italicize, but as far as I know, that's pretty much obsolete.

But always double check the specific submission guidelines from whomever you're sending your work to. Many agents and short story markets actually have e-forms or instructions for pasting stuff into e-mails these days, at least for initial submissions. Don't know about publishing houses that accept unsolicited longer work.

Status
Not open for further replies.