• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How quickly can you kill an important character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The sudden death of a character is acceptable to me, if and only if the emotional response from those around is conveyed. An old man dying in the hospital surrounded by friends and family would naturally have an accepting but remorseful reaction from his loved ones. A fit and healthy hero savagely taken in the middle of their life would get a much more raw and visceral reaction from the people who care for him/her.

I'm not sure it's possible to write within the narrow confines of what you state is acceptable to you. People are not monolithic.

As for the OP, it's not in what you do, it's in how you do it :).

Styjah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's possible to write within the narrow confines of what you state is acceptable to you. People are not monolithic.

As for the OP, it's not in what you do, it's in how you do it :).

I don't understand. You're saying it's not possible to show the shock and horror of those who witness someone sitting next to them being killed unexpectedly? Or the terrible ache and sorrow of having an ailing family member finally breathe their last breath, and all hope of a miracle is extinguished? The gasps of pain, the laden silence, the pause before the screaming starts... those sorts of things?

I was trying not to ramble on, but what I meant is that it bothers me to no end to have a beloved character die, and be forgotten by those around them in a matter of two sentences, because the author delves into the plot instead of remembering the characters (as well as the plot). Having one die, suddenly and/or unexpectedly makes me fear for the rest of them, and invest myself more in the story (as a reader).

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's not what anyone is saying at all.

Okay - the scenario you outline bothers you but nobody raised that scenario but you. And you mention how you prefer to read about the killing of characters.

It is a narrow definition to suit you but not automatically universally applicable or appropriate.

Yet your last sentence confirms what others are saying. :Shrug:

I don't understand. You're saying it's not possible to show the shock and horror of those who witness someone sitting next to them being killed unexpectedly? Or the terrible ache and sorrow of having an ailing family member finally breathe their last breath, and all hope of a miracle is extinguished? The gasps of pain, the laden silence, the pause before the screaming starts... those sorts of things?

I was trying not to ramble on, but what I meant is that it bothers me to no end to have a beloved character die, and be forgotten by those around them in a matter of two sentences, because the author delves into the plot instead of remembering the characters (as well as the plot). Having one die, suddenly and/or unexpectedly makes me fear for the rest of them, and invest myself more in the story (as a reader).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.