• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Trial Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Starting a novel.

Whether you've written several or you're just starting (maybe if you're just starting it's easier.) But starting a novel out of thin air.

I'm mentally preparing myself to write my 7th novel. It will be another YA, maybe not straight up mystery, but something along those lines. My brain keeps convincing me of a cult premise. Something even darker than I've written before. My husband is like, "No, don't do it. Do something lighter."

I haven't picked out a name, I don't even know who she is yet. Somewhere Midwest, yeah...but I don't wanna do the woods like I always do. Maybe in another state to change it up? So I haven't figured that out either. No plot, no outline, just major pondering.

I know I need to start a novel soon. Both kids in school and tons of time on my hands, so I'm compelled. I haven't started a new novel in a long time so I'm really flaking out on it.

Anything to really kick start the trial runs?

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
Your 7th novel? That's so nifty! If your muse is pulling you towards a cult premise and something darker, then what's wrong with that? I'm a newbie and have only written one thing so far, but I think it would be more difficult (though, not impossible) to write something that your heart wasn't really into. Besides, you can still make it cult-ish and dark while adding in the things you think will switch it up a bit--ya know: somewhere Midwest and out of the woods. Just my humble opinion. You're already published, though, so you probably know best. :)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
1 - don't listen to your husband, if only "don't listen to your husband YET" Not saying he isn't correct in this instance, but you have to follow the muse in your head first. (imo)

2 - Kick starting - write with a different set of requirements - deadlines, words that must be used, an event to write around, something completely outside your norm. Whatever gets the brain out of the way. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

Willie that's a great idea, I like the deadline thing. I was going to give myself till the end of this year to complete it. But I'm going to be more definite on the date (maybe have an exact date.) And I'm officially starting tomorrow since everyone will be gone. Maybe today if I'm lucky.

Yeah, my muse is really pulling me towards dark and way out there. So much so, I'm stalling on writing it. I can't get beyond the first scene and where to plant her.

The pressure is on though, which is good. Even if it's just my own. Yes, most of my stuff is published. I have two completed ones unpublished, don't know the fate of those yet.

If I had to revise one of them for a publisher or agent, this newborn WIP will have to wait. It's killing me I can't find her name though. Maybe then some things would come together.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I would get seriously miffed if my husband tried to influence my next novel by telling me to write something other than what I wanted to write. That said, my hubby really doesn't read or comment on my writing anyway. He has no idea how many novels I've written, or how many articles I've sold, or what I'm working on now. So for me, at least, it isn't a problem. But still, I would get annoyed if he (or anyone) tried to dictate the subject matter of my next work.

When you say you can't find "her name," do you mean your MC's name, or the title of your novel? If you can't think of a good name for your MC, try a placeholder name, something generic, that you can easily find/replace later. Just make sure it's something that isn't part of any larger words, like "Mark," which could mess up your find/replace. (For example, the word "marked" might end up, "Jonathaned" if you try to do a "replace all," swapping Mark for Jonathan.)

Or, if you meant you can't think of a title, you could pick something vague to use until you think of something suitable. I didn't name my second novel until it was already on the second or third draft. I just called it, "Josie's Novel," after the MC. One day, the perfect name suddenly came to me, so now it has a proper title. My third novel (still a WIP) isn't titled either, even though it's at 80,000 words.

Things like titles and good names for your MCs take time. Sometimes you have to know the full story before you can figure them out.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Begin at the beginning (which sounds trite, I know) but I just started my 6th novel and that's what worked for me. I had a premise in mind and a point where I thought it would be a good place to start. Even if that changes, for example if you realize you started too early or too late, or if this first scene doesn't even belong in the story at all, you can edit it later or in the 2nd draft.

But you have to start somewhere. Pick a logical starting point and start.

3...2...1...GO!

spikeman4444

The snozberrys taste lke snozberrys
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps your husband notices that when you write darker stories, your mood also darkens at times?? Just a thought as to why he might say that. However, I think that if you are not a pantser, then you may want to wait a little longer until you've plotted out at least of bit of what your story could be. Otherwise you may end up getting 20 pages in and realizing you have no idea what direction you're headed with the thing, and that's even worst than not starting at all in my opinion.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps your husband notices that when you write darker stories, your mood also darkens at times?? Just a thought as to why he might say that. However, I think that if you are not a pantser, then you may want to wait a little longer until you've plotted out at least of bit of what your story could be. Otherwise you may end up getting 20 pages in and realizing you have no idea what direction you're headed with the thing, and that's even worst than not starting at all in my opinion.

Truly. I used to be a panster, and in some ways still am. But with this being my 7th novel, it's very, very slow going. I've tested it out a few times this week and nothing is sticking. Perhaps an outline is in order, just so I have something to work with. It's getting harder and harder to pull things out of thin air.

SamCoulson

Registered
Reaction score
7th novel? You say "About the woods like I always do"... I'd say go outside your comfort zone. Set it on a Caribbean Island or the Florida Keys or something (tie in the cult stuff to voodoo). (just an off the cuff example). At least think about it--you may end up going back to your comfort zone--but with a twist. Personally I think the important thing is to make it interesting and fresh to you--make yourself work some.. pick an element or two you need to research...

When I used to write short-stories all the time I used to constantly come up with strange elements, settings, or premise as a challenge to work around. Sometimes it worked, but it always helped foster new ideas.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Set it on a cruise ship, or in London, or a hospital.

Give her an old fashioned name, or a foreign name, or a guys name.

Throw in a clown subplot, or a clumsy character, or a goofy dad.

Just a few spitballs for you. Your turn!

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Elvira thought her parents were strange. Do this. Never do that. You would think they were in Witness Protection or something. Now they decided to move to the end of the earth. Prescott, Arizona.

<About as far from a forest as you can get.>

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Set it on a cruise ship, or in London, or a hospital.

Give her an old fashioned name, or a foreign name, or a guys name.

Throw in a clown subplot, or a clumsy character, or a goofy dad.

Just a few spitballs for you. Your turn!

Like Insane Clown Posse? lol
Good ideas. thank you.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I wrote this list of ideas I'm passing on into the community about two month ago, check them out:D

/...../

I did some summer cleaning of my plot idea files and these are the ones that I won't be getting to in the next like half a decade, but I like them too much to not give them a second-life chance.

/...../

1) Writer experiments with asking his left side of the brain plot and character questions. The answers are frightening.
2) Experimental broadcasting attempt destroys moon
3) Drives car in thunderstorm, starts seeing monsters and warriors. A limb thuds against the side window.
4) ‘It happened forever’ – everyone froze and a fake history unrolled – bargain of Jesus with God for one last chance for humanity
5) Talking dog: the curse of remembering incarnations
6) Serial killer corresponds with girls from jail. Then escapes
7) Internet messages from dead people
8) With no opportunity to kills someone else, killer chops off own appendages to ease mental pain
9) Slavers steal tribe’s children
10) Dystopia: leader of gang clans unites them, tries to bring down ruling class
11) Evil psycho had lucid moment – gives up
12) Alien race absorbs humans, one of them absorbs the aliens from the inside
13) Every time when the bombs fell he would play his piano

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I find that it can be helpful to change physical location and/or writing tool when I'm feeling unsure of what comes next. I usually type on my computer in my office. But if I'm stuck I'll write longhand (preferably with a really nice pen on really nice paper) or go somewhere else (even just the couch in another room, but even better if I can go somewhere close to where the story is set. (If it's set in a city, I go to a downtown coffee shop; if it's on a farm, I go to a farm). Just trying to jar my brain into soaking up some impressions that I can turn into ideas.

Also, I find that if I'm stuck with writing I need to stop reading for a bit. The time I'd normally spend reading is right before bed, and if I read then, my going-to-sleep brain is full of THAT book, when really it should be full of MY book. Driving is the same thing - no audio books for a while, forcing my brain to entertain itself with thoughts of what could happen in my story.

That aside, is there a pivotal scene that's really got your attention? Maybe you could write it, using placeholder names for some of the characters, and then figure out what else you'd have to write in order to get to that scene.

Or just a freehand brainstorm of all the ideas that could come from your central idea - a cult is a pretty powerful idea, but what makes your character especially vulnerable to their manipulation? How do you want her to come out the other side of her experiences? Are you going for gritty realism or something a bit more fantastic (maybe she finds love with the son of a cult-rescue guy and then she and the son go undercover at other cults to rescue other kids)? etc.

I've had fun doing on-line chats with other writers at the beginning stages of my stories. We can toss ideas around, and even if I don't LIKE the other writer's ideas, I still find that they jar ideas out of my own head.

New projects are fun! Everything is still possible! Maybe your cult is in SPACE!

Status
Not open for further replies.