Are you Ready for NaNoWriMo 2014?

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
2 more hours for me!

I'm going to get off to a bad start because I'm pretty much working solidly from tomorrow morning until Tuesday night. But I do have 2 weeks off in the middle of the month so I will catch up then!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be all over the state this weekend. :( Better break out the laptop.

I'm also crazy nervous. I've never written fantasy before, though it's my absolute favorite genre to read. The world building scares me.

Last edited:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
A little under an hour and a half to go for me and I just wanna start already!! Feel pretty prepared for the first 10 chapters but feel like I'm gonna wing it after those 10.

*returns to watching the clock patiently for midnight*

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Lucky people. I still gotta take my little one trick or treating. :)

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Around 5 hours to go here. I'm probably going ot nap until midnight and then go for it when I wake. I have no idea what I'm doing despite having done this before. Let's see how it goes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to a write-in tonight at 11:30. I will write to 2K or to 2 a.m., which ever comes first, then come home. I will sleep until 8, then get up for my aqua fitness class at 9, then come home and write. And I'm only writing at home tomorrow because I have to wait on other people to come here. I actually suck at writing in this apartment (so I guess it's good that I'm almost never going to be home)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, I think I'll start writing at midnight too. That's a great way to get a little ahead of the game.

I'm a NaNo rebel and will be working on a non-fiction book that I think will be shorter than 50,000 words. So, going by my own "rules," I may just make it this year!

To answer the original question, no of course I'm not ready!

Good luck, everyone!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It used to be that you had to start a new project. They've relaxed the "rules" so that, so long as you write 50k brand new words, it's good to continue a draft.

Though there's no nano police or anything. No one will know or care if you don't follow the exact letter of the rules.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even when it was a "rule," you could always be a rebel, and write in something you've already started.

OTOH, IMO, it's more fun when you're writing something that you haven't been writing up to November. But don't let that stop you if that's what you want to do! (I'm not letting it stop me ;) )

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Stupid question. Can I aim to finish my current manuscript, or do I have to start a new one?

As has been said, there are no NaNo police.

That said, part of the point of it being a new project was that there would be no strings attached. Some people who plot and plan and research as they would for a "normal" project find themselves choking, because they built it up in their head as The Epic Novel They Had To Get Right... and the NaNo approach isn't likely to produce that. Using a fresh story, one with no expectations, frees you up to do whatever you want - it might end up in the trunk or it might be worth revising come December, but for now, who cares, let's just get to 50,000 words even if we have to unleash a horde of robot zombies to do it.

(And I still haven't got a clue what I'll be trying to write, or if I'll even be trying... hope to work on that later tonight. If I don't do NaNo, there's an online writing course I'll be making myself do instead.)

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
1.5 hours to go. I called a psychic. Asked should I start something new? or finish what I have. I told him the train's leaving at midnight with over 300,000k passengers. He told me what I already knew. FINISH WHAT I HAVE.

REBEL IT IS.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. You guys know your reassurances have just made me more paranoid the NaNo police will get me in my sleep, right? :foilhat:

I'll still participate, but by trying to knock out the last 30,000 rather than start something even more disorganised. And if I'm dragged before Writer's Court, then I plead ignorance, M'Lord!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Four hours to go here. :D

I'm excited because I'm actually able to go to events this year. Leaving for the Midnight Start Right party at 11:15 (a bit over three hours from now), and I MAY end up hosting Friday night uni write-ins since our usual host is unable to do it this year. Should be fun. :)

~Amber~

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I have just over an hour left! :scared:

But at least I has pizza. :D

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Two hours for me. And I'm tired. Might have to wait until tomorrow morning to start.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I don't do midnight. I don't do all-nighters. I do complete and full nights full of sleep.

Having said that, I didn't start until 2pm. But hey, I did start. I wrote today. I haven't written any fiction in a few years, so happiness reigns.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just did a WW round with one of my writing partners, and now I'm waiting for my other writing partners to wake up because apparently I can no longer write on my own. Wheee!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Woke up for work at 3a. All I wanted to do was nano, but sadly, I had to go to work. :cry:

PuttPutt, I have the same problem at the end of Nano when I don't have a group meeting me at the coffee shop or word racing online. I partially solved that by guilting a coworker into going writing with me. :evil