• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Info dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
I've read a lot of threads about info-dumping and how to avoid it, but I'm in a situation where my novel needs one / some.

Although the novel is a thriller, it's based on potentially real science. Whilst I'll happily read technical stuff, I'm guessing the average reader won't really care that much how the science works. How much technical info does the reader need? I want the avoid the deus ex machina feeling of glossing over the science.

I've got plenty of natural points where I can inject little bits of the science and this is working well, but there is one section where a potentially lethal flaw in the tech is identified. I have a scene where the scientist realises the flaw exists and needs to tell her client. This point would be ideal to reveal the cause of the problem, and the client's lack of prior knowledge of the technology would match the average readers knowledge of the subject. It's all needed in the plot but I'm worried about info dumping.

The obvious solution (which annoys me in films) would be a monologue from the scientist, telling the client about the problem. I think there must be a more elegant way to get the info from the scientist to the client. This point is also where she realises that she might be on the wrong side, and sows a few more seeds for her potential redemption later in the tale.

I did consider breaking the revelation into a couple of smaller scenes, and spreading the info out. For example, the scientist learns of the problem from a colleague, she has a bit of internal angst about the ethics. Finally she tells the client. But I then hit the problem of why would the scientists be filling each other in with background info about the device? Why would she tell herself some of the science of the flaw, when she was considering her next step... For me this kind of story telling strains at the forth wall, if that makes any sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the need to include facts or explanations of how stuff works, without info-dumping or shoe horning in extras, whose sole purpose is to introduce a convenient plot device?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of a monologue, how about a dialogue between scientist and client? Make the client a participant, not just a listener. And work in some conflict.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
and keep it relatively short. there is a difference between a three-page treatise on the difference between a filovirus and a retrovirus, and a line or two saying "no, it won't work, retroviruses use RNA for their genome."

Alli B.

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of a monologue, how about a dialogue between scientist and client? Make the client a participant, not just a listener. And work in some conflict.

I second this. Also, you can show the character internally putting the pieces together/conflict on her feelings towards the revelations, so the dialogue also doesn't feel like an info dump.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree with the dialogue, but have a suggestion for a variation. Low level tech calls the client to schedule an appointment. Client thinks, "why in the world am I getting a call from a low level tech?" Client calls their contact at the company, who IS a scientist. Low level tech is ambushed when they show up at the appointment to find a superior (or someone in a different department) who will ask some of the technical questions the client doesn't have the skill to, and act as a sort of translator to the client. Instant tension and everyone is on edge. :)

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
One of the oldest tricks is to have the scientist explain things to someone who thinks they're full of it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Second the above dialogue suggestions.

And you appear to be aware of the pitfall that although you may need to know the intricate details in order to write the tale it doesn't mean I need or want to know all that same level of detail in order to enjoy the trouble and mayhem caused by the flaw and how it's fixed.

Make sure any dialogue is not just for my benefit. What the techies know and treat as routine - they won't be dwelling upon.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Unless it's absolutley critical that the reader knows a background detail too, they don't need all the details on how something works. So long as the characters maintain versimilitude, it should be enough.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If it's real science, I want the details. I hate it when a scientists gives a long explanation to another character. Make it short, cut to the chase, and leave it at that. Two or three sentences can tell me all I need to know. Work any other detail into teh story over time.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Make the conversation interesting and it stops being an info dump. Work a little tension and personality-reveal into it.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, it fired up a couple of ideas, will try them out in the morning after sleeping on them. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There are various ways to get needed information into a story without it degenerating into an info dump. The most seamless is to dribble it in (the term incluing comes to mind),a but sometimes you need more. Some options are:

Expository lumps: works best in omniscient pov, imo, where there's an all-knowing narrator who can comment on things the characters don't know or aren't thinking about in a scene. Can work in first also, if it's the style where it feels like the narrator is telling you a story from outside its actual events. May feel like an authorial intrusion in limited third.

Dialogue. Two or more characters reveal information about something important in a natural sounding conversation. The difficulty lies in doing it without lapsing into stilted or artificial "as you know, Bob," type information. But with information about something scientific, it can work pretty well. After all, if you're concerned that many of your readers won't know, then it's plausible for a character not to know the details either.

Flashbacks. Works better for personal backstory, obviously, than for general information.

Internal reflection. This can replace expository lumps if you're writing in a more limited pov, and are in the pov of a character who would know/understand about DNA (or whatever) and has reason to be thinking about it. It can take some clever tweaking, however, and will likely feel strange if it goes on for too long.

The main thing is not to bore the reader or knock them out of the story.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Some random thoughts ...

I hate it when characters tell each things that they should already know. "Greeting, Algernon, my elder brother - how fares your six year marriage to Princess Sophie, daughter of King Oberon of the faerie folk?"

One way round this is to introduce a character who legitimately does not know, or a situation where something has to be explained. That's why Sherlock Holmes has Watson and Lestrade. Holmes has to be able to explain something to the reader via these two less intelligent characters.

I think that's why many science fiction and fantasy stories have characters being transported into a new world from our world and time. That means that the new world has to be explained to them which coincidentally means that it is explained to us.

Another technique is to show the technology in action, say by having it assembled or by showing what happens when it goes wrong. The Enterprise has a warp core and runs on dilithium crystals - whatever they are. So they give us episodes where the warp core goes wrong and has to be ejected. We see the crew collecting new dilithium crystals.

One way to show that a car runs on petrol/gas is to have a scene where it runs out of petrol/gas. That way the technology becomes a part of the plot. The info dump becomes drama, tension, action.

As an example, I'm writing a story at the moment about a world without metals. I can't have my characters say that they have no metal because they don't know what metal is. So I show them doing things with metal substitutes, such as sharpening the edge of a bone knife or knapping flint. Bone knives break in the middle of a fight. They go blunt easily and need to be constantly re-sharpened.

I suppose it's another version of show, not tell. Show readers the technology working (or not working). Don't tell them how it works ... unless you absolutely have to.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Another technique is to show the technology in action, say by having it assembled or by showing what happens when it goes wrong.

[snip]

I suppose it's another version of show, not tell. Show readers the technology working (or not working). Don't tell them how it works ... unless you absolutely have to.

This could be a good solution. How do they discover this flaw? If it's something techy, could they be conducting a test of the technology and the test goes wrong? Depending on how wrong, it could provide some action and drama (maybe a couple of lab rats explode, or maybe a couple of lab assistants do) and also provide some sneaky opportunities for conveying info. You could have the scientist commenting on the experiment as it happens, observing the warning signals, mentioning the possible or hoped for outcomes compared to what is actually happening. Then when the client arrives the tech guy can just go 'Yeah... it sploded' rather than go into a massive telly infodump, because you've already SHOWN what happened :)

Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of dialog.

That said, it's important that the writer understands exactly 'what' about the science is important to the story. That understanding is the key to excerpting the science to convey only the points essential to the story. Clearly the consequences of misapplication, if that's the issue, need to be addressed, if only as an explanation of motivation. But only the critical element or two of the science that are of consequence to the story need be explained.

In most cases, in my stories at least, the critical elements are those where the 'good guys' have a chance to intervene. Vital material, critical equipment, resources, and access as related to the science essentials.

Fitch

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You can inject conflict into an exposition to make it more interesting (a few people have mentioned this already.) The easiest way is to turn a lecture into an argument of some sort, even if it's just one person explaining with strained impatience while the other person challenges their authority with flippancy.

You can also make an exposition palatable by injecting humour into it, although that might not be a good fix in a thriller. Jim Butcher and Douglas Adams do this -- they're explaining some convoluted or technical thing, but they add jokes and absurdity to it so the reader is rewarded for reading it.

In the first pages of Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson uses vivid imagery and wonderfully stylistic prose to make a big wad of exposition very rewarding.

People will read it if it's fun to read. Exposition is more of a challenge to make fun to read, but there are ways.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
And I hope it goes without saying, that if you're injecting real scientific information into your story, please do your homework and make sure it is accurate and as up to date as possible. Nothing can make you lose the trust of a reasonably knowledgeable reader faster than misinterpreting or misrepresenting scientific information, especially if it's central to your premise (but even getting the "factoids" wrong can be irritating).

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
The novel is set in the near future. The technology is based on what is currently being researched. There is a tiny amount of poetic license being employed, but what I'm proposing is possible.
Whilst the science is important to the plot, the story is focused on the characters and the situation they are put in by the misguided use of the tech.
I've gotten a lot of good ideas from everyone and now have two basic dialogues that cover the info I needed to get across. Kept it interesting with a couple of dead bodies and the client firstly worrying about his own hide, then angry that it happened and made things difficult for him.
Thanks folks

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
And I hope it goes without saying, that if you're injecting real scientific information into your story, please do your homework and make sure it is accurate and as up to date as possible. Nothing can make you lose the trust of a reasonably knowledgeable reader faster than misinterpreting or misrepresenting scientific information, especially if it's central to your premise (but even getting the "factoids" wrong can be irritating).
Which makes Crichton's State of Fear worth mentioning again.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
> why would the scientists be filling each other in with background info about the device?

They wouldn't have much reason to do it for each other... but a briefing or tour by someone concerned with grants, funding, or general administration would be a logical place for them to explain what they were up to.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
> why would the scientists be filling each other in with background info about the device?

They wouldn't have much reason to do it for each other... but a briefing or tour by someone concerned with grants, funding, or general administration would be a logical place for them to explain what they were up to.

As mentioned i dont routinely talk to folks at merck and discuss what an antagonist is, or go through the mechanism of blocking in a western blot with a lab-mate. Folks discuss what is relevant, but for "experts" the base theories or mechanisms arent part of their routine conversation any more than you would include brake and accelerate and use turn signals in giving someone directions to arbys....

Status
Not open for further replies.