Unable to edit Google Docs

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm connected online, I'm logged in, and the document is an original Google Docs document created in Google Docs. When I double click the document as I usually do, the document appears as a foreground image over my Google Docs page. If instead of double clicking to open I attempt to select an "open with", the page says that there are no apps available to open the document with. The last time I edited (actually wrote - I use it as a word processor) was yesterday. When I search for information on "unable to edit Google Docs" I find questions from users who are getting error messages when the attempt to edit a document, I'm not getting any error messages.

Has anybody else experienced this and do you know how to fix it?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Check mode (under View) and make sure it's in Editing?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Do me a favor sort of "bang" (one-finger hard tap should do it) on your CTRL and ALT keys. Should be one to each side of the SPACE bar. Maybe do the space bar also.

Sounds like a stuck key. Although I'm confused how you got as far as you did.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure you're in the original and not a "COPY."

Deleted member 42

Is the document in Google Drive, saved locally to your drive/USB device etc. or are you online and editing in your Web browser?

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, well it is working now without me doing anything new.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And slightly off topic here - but does anybody here use Google docs while offline? I've read the instructions (there is also a YouTube video out there but my screen doesn't match the video instructions) but I can not create a document while off line. The Google product forums have arguments over whether or not it is even possible, it seems to vary day to day.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, well it is working now without me doing anything new.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And slightly off topic here - but does anybody here use Google docs while offline? I've read the instructions (there is also a YouTube video out there but my screen doesn't match the video instructions) but I can not create a document while off line. The Google product forums have arguments over whether or not it is even possible, it seems to vary day to day.

I use google docs on my tablet which automatically saves an offline copy. You need to install google docs to get it to work on your pc. I don't know what operating system you're using, but it doesn't work in linux and I'm not sure about OS X.
When you open drive.google.com you should see an option on the left side of your screen, under My drive, starred, trash etc to install google drive. Once installed you should be able to do everything offline.

Honestly, I can't understand the attraction of using GoogleDocs on-line. Or, for that matter, being on-line at every moment of my lifetime. I create a hell of a lot of documents, for business, academic and hobby reasons, all of them without being on-line. When I need to communicate with somebody, I get on line. When I don't, I don't. The problem mentioned in the OP is just one more reason to stay off-line.
caw

I tend to move between four devices. My PC, my tablet and my laptop (standing desk), and even my phone if I'm out and have a few minutes to burn. So it's nice to keep them all in sync.
I also like having an automatic backup because the SA power grid can be unstable at times and I've lost a lot of work to power failures.

If those things aren't an issue, then staying offline can be a more attractive option as it's easy to get sucked into the WWW and waste a few precious writing hours on the top ten most over the top villains in British theater, or a hundred unconventional uses for an egg whisk.