Another stupid question: lost keychain password on Mac

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I found a Yahoo help link, and the question is exactly the same as mine:
I have Macbook Pro, and as you know i am using Mac OS. The thing is that a message keeps poping up requesting me "Please enter the keychain password". I tried to enter every password i know including my Apple Id password, and none is working. When i referred to apple blog, i found out the the keychain password mostly resembles the login password. However, i tried to enter the login password and still it is not correct.
I tried to go to Utilities and keychain access to try and change the password but i can't do that and the message keeps poping up.
How to remove it? i don't wan't that keychain anymore.. please helph

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20131009041928AADgYF3

the answer sounds great .. but I'm still lost.

The trouble is, to my shame I do not know where the Applications folder is! I looked in Launchoad ... nope.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
OK, I found the keychain password .. I'd made a note of it.
It would still be good to know what and where this Applications folder is, though, for future reference!
And why do I need a keychain? It's just a hassle.

Deleted member 42

Applications is where applications or software reside, "properly," with the exception of the System itself, OS X.

Your computer's "root" or top level has the Applications folder. But this folder is "shared" by all the applications and all Users on your computer so there's a shortcut or alias to in each User directory or folder.

Your folder is your Home or User directory. The name is based on your User name. It has an icon of a house.

The Applications directory or folder has an icon of a large A. It contains a dolder called Utilities which contains the Keychain Access.app.

The Keychain is designed to store passwords and private data safely and securely and to allow applications to authenticate (have permission to run). It shouldn't ask for your password each and every time though. It silently provides authentication and saves you labor. Here's the short summary of What and Why:

Mac OS X 10.6: About keychains

This is helpful:

How to manage passwords with Keychain Access

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Ah! At first I was screaming out WHERE IS IT but then I looked in the Finder and hey presto! So I found Utilities and Keychain Access so all is well. Will deal with that shit tomorrow. Thanks so much!