• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Do you worry about Political Correctness ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
... when writing? I must admit, I'm overtired of PC'ism, but sometimes I wonder well heck if I write this character like this, I'm going to irk some people, but then I think no wait, this is the character, that's just who they are regardless of it being insensitive or whatever.

How much should you, or should you at all, worry about offending groups or any certain ethnicity by having a character that's a bit like the generalities of any particular group or ethnicity?

I almost feel like this is one of those landmine questions that going to explode the minute you walk within five feet of it, but I really don't intend it to be. I just really want to honestly know if you as a writer take the 'feelings' of any group into consideration when you create a character in your world that's actually a part of a very real world (namely ours)?

NinjaFingers

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennpovey.imagination-evolution.net
The key here is to not have your character be ONLY the stereotype.

Angry young black men, gay men with limp wrists, manhating lesbians with spiky hair who wear combat boots - all of these things DO exist because if they didn't, there wouldn't be the stereotype.

Do not give your character limp wrists to tell us he's gay. Show us the character, in his entirety, and you're fine.

And if in doubt, hand it to a member of the group concerned to read.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
this question comes up a lot, and I have to wonder how much reading you've done. You can offend, and I prefer political correctness over blithe dickishness in the name of being "un-PC", but regardless, if you've read....almost anything, you've come across non-PC characters. Because not everybody is PC.

that said, there is a difference between being PC and stereotyping, which you seem to be actually asking about. An entire story where every asian was a calculus wiz and terrible driver wouldn't bother me so much for it being stereotypical and either ignorant or actively douchey, as because it would feel entirely fake for all the stereotype. So....don't stereotype.

Last edited:

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
Nope, I most certainly don't worry about political correctness. Not one tiny iota. It's censorship by another name. Happily for me, my books are set in the late 1930s and 40s so there's a certain amount of leeway for me to ignore PCness. Having said that, I don't think there's any need to use a stereotype such as defined by quicklime. Your readers will likely roll their eyes at such laziness!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Political correctness is one of the greatest evils out there, so, no, I want nothing to do with it. Thre is no circumstance where political correctness is a good thing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
this question comes up a lot, and I have to wonder how much reading you've done. You can offend, and I prefer political correctness over blithe dickishness in the name of being "un-PC", but regardless, if you've read....almost anything, you've come across non-PC characters. Because not everybody is PC.

that said, there is a difference between being PC and stereotyping, which you seem to be actually asking about. An entire story where every asian was a calculus wiz and terrible driver wouldn't bother me so much for it being stereotypical and either ignorant or actively douchey, as because it would feel entirely fake for all the stereotype. So....don't stereotype.

What if there's only one Asian in the story?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
the notion political correctness is censorship, other than self-censorship out of a desire to not hurt other people by your own carelessness, is dubious at best.

But stereotyping is indeed lazy.

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading. I'm 46 so I've got a lot of books under my belt. Maybe it's what I read ... a lot of what would be called 'classics' like the last was The Old Man and the Sea and then on to mainstream stuff that borders on fantasy, speaking chiefly of Neil Gaiman. No, I've read plenty.

What I write though is modern fiction (meaning in the here and now) and every once in a while a bit of fantasy. Here and now in our world has a lot of issues (well really all ages do, but our's I know most about). It's not my prerogative to stereotype. My goal is to create real characters, real people that you'd probably meet in real life riding on the elevator with you or sitting next to you at Chipotle. I want to write about those people warts, beauty marks and all. I want to do that honestly. But there are times when I step back and wonder, as an example, geez this guy is too harsh with people (he's a military guy - I was in the Navy myself 8 years so I know the type), so should I tone him down for the sake of the audience? That's just one example. But he's also who he is ... warts and all.

So hence my question .... do you worry about offending your audience with a character that might in a general way be offensive or if you want to use stereotypical go ahead?

A writer writes for their audience, but I prefer how Stephen King puts it: write for your Ideal Reader.

I just want to know how far you as a writer push the envelope so to speak.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There will be (or should be!) a difference in the narrative between you portraying a character and you condoning their actions

It can be very subtle (and yes some people will miss it) but if you have a purpose behind writing this character this way, then do it.

In the books in my sig, the POV starts off as...well his attitude to women (and life tbh) is not what you'd call optimal. He learns as the series goes on (he'll probably never be Mr Enlightened though). The fact that he starts off that way was enough to put some people off. *shrug* But he never benefited from that attitude (it got him in more trouble, and all the women in the first book either loathe him or laugh at him) Not everyone was OK with that, and that's fine. I'm ok with it, so are my editors and some fans.

Sooo....it's good to be aware that you might be unintentionally causing offence and taking steps not to. But if you go in with your eyes open*, and this character being this way has a purpose in the story, then do it.

You'll never please every reader anyway.

*This includes bracing for the reaction of people who Do Not Like It. Took me a little by surprise tbh -- people thinking I am my character frex. Er, well no. We are quite different. And not just due to genital plumbing.

Last edited:

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
No matter what you write or how you write a character, there's always a good chance someone, somewhere out there will be offended. What I try to concern myself with more is who I'm trying to please. I don't like offending people (I hate it, actually), and I try not to as often as possible. But sometimes it's inevitable and/or not worth trying in order to tell the story I want to tell. So I would suggest asking yourself who your audience is and whose opinion you're concerning yourself with.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I agree with Flibble -- most readers will be able to tell that it's your character who is not PC, if you happen to write a character that way.

But if you overdo it on the stereotypes, then it reflects on you as the author.

There will always be people who will criticize your work and maybe even you as a person. Don't let it get to you.

PS I personally don't read or buy work by people I think are bigoted or who participate in organizations that I think are bigoted, because I don't want to support that. It's nothing personal, it's just my choice.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm not sure I've ever really understood what people meant by "political correctness."

Does that mean you try to create characters that are real, life-like, three-dimensional individuals or do you treat your characters as shallow stereotypes?

I'd much rather read about interesting characters that might be considered PC than stale, worn-out, prejudiced cliche.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever really understood what people meant by "political correctness."

Does that mean you try to create characters that are real, life-like, three-dimensional individuals or do you treat your characters as shallow stereotypes?

I'd much rather read about interesting characters that might be considered PC than stale, worn-out, prejudiced cliche.

To me:

The term political correctness is an awareness of the social and historical sensibilities of other cultures and their interplay.

The term Political Correctness refers to a movement or advocacy that (intentionally or not) serves to stifle a willingness to examine and acknowledge our differences.

IMO, the latter has taken center stage, to the detriment of the former. Sadly.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
To me:

The term political correctness is an awareness of the social and historical sensibilities of other cultures and their interplay.

The term Political Correctness refers to a movement or advocacy that (intentionally or not) serves to stifle a willingness to examine and acknowledge our differences.

IMO, the latter has taken center stage, to the detriment of the former. Sadly.

to be fair, the bolded has also become a sort of straw-man cause celibre for folks who feel hampered by the fact "nigger an' faggit jokes" are no longer fashionable.

to some the idea you have some rudimentary responsibility not to be hurtful as fuck with your words is an undue and tragically newfangled burden, so the term gets thrown around a lot by folks who really have an issue with the idea that maybe we shouldn't call a girl a slut, or a hispanic guy a spic, or whatever else....

Which is why I tend to have a near-instinctive aversion to folks who bash political correctness as censorship and thought control. Run off the rails it can be, but it's rarely as bad as folks like to pretend it is in the quest for pity-points

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
No. I do, however, worry about portraying characters of different genders, orientations, and cultures from myself as respectfully and realistically as possible. I also accept that I will probably screw up sometimes (or at least someone will think I have), and I hope that when this happens, I'll be able to listen to the criticism with an open mind and not knee-jerk accuse said person of "just" being PC.

Sensitivity and awareness of my own privileges in life should not be dismissed as a straw man political agenda, imo.

Last edited:

Kashmirgirl1976

Recouping My Lost Marbles
Registered
Reaction score
to be fair, the bolded has also become a sort of straw-man cause celibre for folks who feel hampered by the fact "nigger an' faggit jokes" are no longer fashionable.

to some the idea you have some rudimentary responsibility not to be hurtful as fuck with your words is an undue and tragically newfangled burden, so the term gets thrown around a lot by folks who really have an issue with the idea that maybe we shouldn't call a girl a slut, or a hispanic guy a spic, or whatever else....

Which is why I tend to have a near-instinctive aversion to folks who bash political correctness as censorship and thought control. Run off the rails it can be, but it's rarely as bad as folks like to pretend it is in the quest for pity-points

Pretty much. If the story is set in a time where people ran amuck with their ignorance and you have set guidelines showing the characters as such, then you are fine.

If, however, you want to use stereotypes and cliches because you can not write three-dimensional characters, well then, the usage reflects on you as a writer. It's best not to write those characters, if you rely on such lazy tools.

Kashmirgirl1976

Recouping My Lost Marbles
Registered
Reaction score
Political correctness is one of the greatest evils out there, so, no, I want nothing to do with it. Thre is no circumstance where political correctness is a good thing.

I think placing stereotypes and tired thought on people and wanting to keep them in society because one can think beyond them are two of the greatest evils out there.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I don't worry about it. The characters are whoever they are, and most people I know don't care about being PC.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Dave Robinson here.

"Political Correctness" is a term that is almost entirely thrown about by people who -- rather than admit they don't give a crap about hurting other people -- want to instead rally behind the idea of resisting an oppressive movement of censorship as convenient cover for just saying whatever they want without consideration or consequence.

The thing is, being a decent human being to other human beings is a constant and deeply individual effort. It is not a codified rule of laws, except in the most basic and extreme sense, and it's the work of a lifetime understanding our own privileges and experiences and the often contrasting experiences of others.

A character of any depth will also reflect those struggles, in context with the setting you have put them in, but no reader expects a character to be perfect because people are not. However, there is a difference between genuinely portraying a (possibly deeply-)flawed individual as part of the story you are trying to tell, and throwing two-dimensional characters in who are lazy stereotypes or, worse, at their core simply an author declaring via a transparent veneer their right to be an a*hole if they want.

Do you not want to be (or be seen as) an a*hole? Then spend some time and read and learn and think and discuss. Or are you looking for us to help you justify not having to care? If the latter, consider that taking the time to understand other people even if it doesn't make you personally feel sympathetic to them will still make you a better writer.

Last edited:

Ian Nathaniel Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't worry about "Political Correctness," I do worry about offending people inadvertently or carelessly.

Same here. I know I only have so much control over how people perceive my works, but there's certain criticisms I don't want to deserve.

What has me antsy lately over The Brotherhood of the Black Flag is going the damsel in distress route in the climax. My female beta-readers were all fine with it, since she shows she's a badass in several scenes, she helps take down the villain (and takes down a miniboss, for lack of a better term, all on her own), and I tried to give her a compelling arc of her own. As for the romance, it doesn't blossom between her and the protagonist until they get to know each other over a period of time.

I like the climax as is, and it really doesn't work without her being indisposed. Still, given the attitude towards damsels in distress these days...I'm sure you guys can understand why I needed/wanted the reassurance.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
When someone claims that they're afraid the "PC people" or whomever will take offense at their character if they write it the way they want, I assume they want to write something where they're stereotyping people who are not white, straight males, rather than presenting all characters in a more nuanced and complex way. Or maybe they just want to ignore people who aren't white, straight males completely, even though there's no logical reason for them to do so.

No one ever said every woman, person of color, or LGBT person has to be sympathetic, or that people don't exist who overlap with some stereotypes. But when people are genuinely worried about criticism for not being PC, I wonder if they're planning on writing a story where the only black person is on welfare, or the only woman derives her entire identity from being someone's wife or mother, or the only gay man is a drama queen or something.

Anyway, it's a specious argument, because there is no organized body of people who will stop you from writing something they think is insensitive or biased against their group. There are people who won't like your story if they feel you treated them or people they care about insensitively (or ignored them completely), and some of them will likely criticize it or give it bad reviews. Other people may pick up the book, glance at the back cover, and decide it isn't for them (as I've done with many a book where it looks like the main female character is only there to be rescued or to be a reward for the male main character). But no matter what you write, some people won't like it, or won't read it, and some will give it bad reviews.

You have to decide which kinds of readers you want. Also accept that you may make some mistakes, even with the best of intent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.