• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What events need closure in a story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering. Do I need closure for minor events in a story? As in events that are apart of the story but don't greatly impact the story.

Also what are some side events or stories that would need closure prior to the conclusion of the main story?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering. Do I need closure for minor events in a story? As in events that are apart of the story but don't greatly impact the story.

You can probably get away with not explaining what happened to the sock that the character couldn't find in chapter 3. And I probably won't be sitting there after i've finished the book, staring into space wondering 'but what happened to the couple that was arguing in the diner that time the MC was talking to the biochemical weapons expert about the effects of VX gas?'

Also what are some side events or stories that would need closure prior to the conclusion of the main story?

Well, I can't answer that specific to your story, obviously, but anything that impacts the main plot probably needs to be concluded to a point where it can be assumed to no longer be of interest. If you leave something dangling that could undo the resolution of the main plot, your reader is going to think the story isn't finished.

But on the other hand, if you've got a subplot, even one that doesn't directly impact the main plot, you'll want to bring that to some sort of satisfactory end.

Basically you don't want to leave something that makes the reader go 'but what about...?'

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
Cool thank you.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Ask yourself if it would bother you. There's no set formula for this.

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
Well that's the thing too. Which is good advice by the way don't get me wrong. But things don't bother me ... bother other people. And things that don't bother other people bother me.

Earlier a great example was made. A conversation in background isn't important and neither is a missing sock. But I will wonder how in the world can a homeless man have nuclear launch codes while everyone else focuses on the burning building.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Well that's the thing too. Which is good advice by the way don't get me wrong. But things don't bother me ... bother other people. And things that don't bother other people bother me.

Earlier a great example was made. A conversation in background isn't important and neither is a missing sock. But I will wonder how in the world can a homeless man have nuclear launch codes while everyone else focuses on the burning building.

Yeah, I can understand. There are a lot of things that bother other people but don't bother me. I guess closure just isn't one of them. I like to have closure on anything that was actually interesting (unless, of course, I know there's a sequel. Then you only need to provide closure on the big things).

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
But I will wonder how in the world can a homeless man have nuclear launch codes while everyone else focuses on the burning building.

I couldn't call this closure, I would call this having a logical and cohesive story. No one is going to question if a high ranking general has nuclear launch codes. If a homeless guy does, though, there better be a good reason and it better be explained in the story.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a big TVtropes page dedicated to this topic called, 'What happened to the mouse?' or something similar. Some of the examples are fairly irrelevant, but you run into things like, 'what about minor character X, who was last seen on the ship that blew up and then never even mentioned again?'

It's when characters, objects, and events that logically should have shone up somehow by the end of the story are instead left hanging that it invites comment. You don't have to comb through your manuscript and tie off every thread you find, but it leaves a more satisfied reader if you get the big, or otherwise noticeable ones.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I read a lot of fantasy, where nearly every story is clearly open for a sequel, or is part of a trilogy, and it's not all that unusual for major plot elements to carry over to the next installment.

My personal preference is that no major character be in mortal danger or face an uncertain fate at the end of a book (i.e. no cliffhangers), and that whatever question or goal that drove the min character forward for most of the book be resolved to some satisfaction, even if it's created a new one that will obviously carry you into the next book in the trilogy or series.

So it's all right by me they've fought off the invading army or found the map or rescued the heir to the throne or foiled the plot, but doing so has clearly only earned them a breather or provided them with a new goal.

But my preferences here seem to be increasingly ignored by many fantasy authors. Just finished a debut novel where one of the protagonists was in a coma at the end.

When a series ends completely, though, I like there to be some kind of end to all the little things that seemed important, even if they're not the main plot. I don't like it when the fate of even minor characters remains unclear, if there was something about that character that attracted my attention and sympathy as a reader at some point. Even having the other characters wonder about it or express regret that the poor dog evidently didn't make it out of the burning building, that brings a sense of closure more than it seeming like they (and therefore the author) completely forgot about it.

I can't remember the story now, but I remember one where there was this interesting, though minor, character who popped up a few times, then disappeared. And I kept expecting them to show up later, but they never did.

Last edited:

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
On the writing excuses podcast, they call it fulfilling your promises to the reader.

I'll ham-fistedly paraphrase: If you've essentially hinted that something has an arc, or is more than a simple magguffin/enabler/sidecharacter, you've made a promise of sorts to address the arc (obviously to a greater or larger degree).

So a "helpful friend" whose only role in the plot is to give someone shelter from zombies for a night or two: no arc, no promise. They are unchanging things whose futures lie in their nature. So the character gives shelter, says "grrr, I ain't leavin' my fam'ly home on account of no zombies!!" - leave him to do whatever. But should they persuade said character to leave, undertake a change, then you've promised an arc. Fulfill said promise. That arc could end with him choosing to see the world and walking off into the sunset, but it's an arc nonetheless. If, half way through the character's arc, the MCs get seperated by zombies and they never see the character again......well, now you've got an issue.

I hope that makes a little sense - like I said I'm just paraphrasing as best I can....

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
What is your central conflict?

Resolve it.

Everything else is a matter of preference.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I would say, unless you can find & show meaning in not having closure about something, then it should have closure.

The movie 'Gone, Baby, Gone' is a pretty decent example of that.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Give closure to anything and everything that isn't designed to be closed in a later book. If it's worth making something part of the story, you owe it to the readers to give closure, unless, as I said, you're writing a trilogy, or other connected series, and want to withhold closure until then.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Give closure to anything and everything that isn't designed to be closed in a later book. If it's worth making something part of the story, you owe it to the readers to give closure, unless, as I said, you're writing a trilogy, or other connected series, and want to withhold closure until then.

I agree with this. Why bring it up if you're not going to follow it through to the conclusion?

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot of fantasy, where nearly every story is clearly open for a sequel, or is part of a trilogy, and it's not all that unusual for major plot elements to carry over to the next installment.

My personal preference is that no major character be in mortal danger or face an uncertain fate at the end of a book (i.e. no cliffhangers), and that whatever question or goal that drove the min character forward for most of the book be resolved to some satisfaction, even if it's created a new one that will obviously carry you into the next book in the trilogy or series.

So it's all right by me they've fought off the invading army or found the map or rescued the heir to the throne or foiled the plot, but doing so has clearly only earned them a breather or provided them with a new goal.

But my preferences here seem to be increasingly ignored by many fantasy authors. Just finished a debut novel where one of the protagonists was in a coma at the end.

When a series ends completely, though, I like there to be some kind of end to all the little things that seemed important, even if they're not the main plot. I don't like it when the fate of even minor characters remains unclear, if there was something about that character that attracted my attention and sympathy as a reader at some point. Even having the other characters wonder about it or express regret that the poor dog evidently didn't make it out of the burning building, that brings a sense of closure more than it seeming like they (and therefore the author) completely forgot about it.

I can't remember the story now, but I remember one where there was this interesting, though minor, character who popped up a few times, then disappeared. And I kept expecting them to show up later, but they never did.

I know what you mean. You go through an epic adventure just for it to end like that.

I would say, unless you can find & show meaning in not having closure about something, then it should have closure.

The movie 'Gone, Baby, Gone' is a pretty decent example of that.

For some reason Blacklist is coming to mind about their closure issue ... keep dangling the fact closure is coming but never does is starting to tick me off ... but that's for another thread. Nevertheless I do know what you mean.

On the writing excuses podcast, they call it fulfilling your promises to the reader.

I'll ham-fistedly paraphrase: If you've essentially hinted that something has an arc, or is more than a simple magguffin/enabler/sidecharacter, you've made a promise of sorts to address the arc (obviously to a greater or larger degree).

So a "helpful friend" whose only role in the plot is to give someone shelter from zombies for a night or two: no arc, no promise. They are unchanging things whose futures lie in their nature. So the character gives shelter, says "grrr, I ain't leavin' my fam'ly home on account of no zombies!!" - leave him to do whatever. But should they persuade said character to leave, undertake a change, then you've promised an arc. Fulfill said promise. That arc could end with him choosing to see the world and walking off into the sunset, but it's an arc nonetheless. If, half way through the character's arc, the MCs get seperated by zombies and they never see the character again......well, now you've got an issue.

I hope that makes a little sense - like I said I'm just paraphrasing as best I can....

Makes a lot of sense actually. (to me anyway)

Though I quoted a few responses doesn't mean I haven't read them all. I really appreciate the time you all have taken to answer this question. Someone of have confirmed what I was already thinking and others have shed some light on things I haven't considered yet. In addition your responses had me doubling back and asking .. is this situation really that important? Though significant to the character is it significant to the story?

Once again thank you all for your time.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
I like resolving the issues that are related to my main themes. So if the story I'm writing has underlying themes of guilt, consequence, and forgiveness, then I resolve every issue that directly relates to any of those things, if that makes sense.

So if a character has degenerated into a mass murderer and his sister forgives him, I make sure to articulate her forgiveness even after she's dead (through a letter, etc., just for the sake of closure). But if the same mass murderer character has an eating disorder that has nothing to do with my themes directly, I don't "resolve" it. It's just a little sub-plot that adds nuance. There is no recovery process, or him admitting he has a problem, since that's not related to guilt, consequence, or forgiveness in a direct way.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I get seriously annoyed when plot threads are left hanging. If something isn't going to be resolved, why bring it up?

AndreF

Registered
Reaction score
What if the story is resolved for the reader but one or two character's themselves haven't received closure? For you the reader a situation is resolved but for one of them it isn't.

Jack McManus

smoothopr8r
Registered
Reaction score
What if the story is resolved for the reader but one or two character's themselves haven't received closure? For you the reader a situation is resolved but for one of them it isn't.

It depends on many things. What effect does the writer want the work to have on the reader. How important is the unresolved plot point to the overall story.

If a character is left hanging make sure it's for a good reason. Otherwise, it could come across as a writer's inability to finish. A kind of non deus ex machina, if you will.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Then I've found a writer I probably won't read again. Such things as this happen because that's how the writer decided to write them. If it isn't resolved for the character, it isn't resolved for me, either.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score

This happens in the story I am currently working on. A young girl thinks she is a psychic medium and assumes that when her father (dying of cancer) passes away, she will be able to see him. The story follows the father into the afterlife, but he never goes back to see the girl and she is left to wonder about what happens after we die.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Then I've found a writer I probably won't read again. Such things as this happen because that's how the writer decided to write them. If it isn't resolved for the character, it isn't resolved for me, either.

But why? Sometimes things are left unresolved for a reason.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
But why? Sometimes things are left unresolved for a reason.

Agreed. Great example: We Need to Talk About Kevin. Things are left unresolved because there is simply no way to resolve the events in the story. It hits the reader hard, and it's frustrating, but that's the nature of the beast.

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a slight semantic issue here between "resolution" and "what happens"

I'll cite the really, really brilliant/annoying The City & The City.

At the end of the book, Meiville offers no difinitive explanation to the exactly how Beszel and Ul Qoma exist concurrent. But the arc is "resolved" (in my opinion anyway). The twin cities start as a statement given to you, the reader - the unquestioned facts. However, by the end, you're left with your own interpretation. The arc of the setting as a character is complete - it has transitioned from something Meiville tells you about, to something you have to decide about for yourself. We don't know what will happen to the city in the future, but the arc is resolved.

Or to take a more traditional example: Lord of the rings.

The resolution of the plot and the resolution of Frodo's character arc occur at different times. If you ignore Frodo and focus on the arc of the battle of good and evil, you can legitimately end lord of the rings with the One Ring hitting the lava. That's it, the plot arc has finished. Frodo could live or die and it wouldn't matter one iota. But Frodo's character arc hadn't concluded; Frodo wasn't ready to be left alone, and so we get all the stuff that happens afterwards.

To be fair, a lot of resolutions are about events (big bad killed and so on)....but there are certain types, certainly character arcs, the don't need an explanation of "what happens" afterwards in order to be "Resolved"...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.