• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Going outside your comfort zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think it's important, as a writer, to go outside your comfort zone and stretch yourself, technique-wise? Or are you comfortable sticking to POVs, tenses, and other stylistic choices that come naturally to you?

For some reason, I've never written anything in first person. Any time I come up with an idea, I automatically start writing it in limited third, past tense. Sometimes I consider trying another POV, but it feels weird and I end up reverting to what I'm comfortable with.

I read plenty of stuff in first person. I also read stuff in present tense, and the occasional book written in omniscient POV. So it's not that I'm not exposed to other styles.

Sometimes I wonder if my consistency is a problem. What if I'm missing out on wonderful opportunities? What if some of my stories would be better if I wrote them a different way? What if I'm limiting myself as a writer? On the other hand, I find that I tend to be focused on the story first and foremost, and prefer telling it in a way that's comfortable for me to experimenting with form. I've been thinking, though, about trying to write some shorter stories in different POVs and tenses than I'm used to, to practice and see how I like it.

I'm curious what people think. Do you think versatility is important?

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
My top level, knee-jerk reactive thoughts.....

Practise the things you are bad at, because you want to be good at them when you use them.
Don't practise things that you are bad at JUST because you're bad at them.

More practically speaking, if you suck at writing romance, someone will notice if a) none of your books ever have a romantic element in them, and b) if your romantic elements suck. However, c) people are unlikely to notice if you've never written from the perspective of a schizophrenic......

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Don't fix what aint broked. If you like the way you write and find it works for you, then go with it. If you find your writing lacks something or is starting to seem flat and samey, then maybe experiment with other styles. But I don't think it's necessary to force something that isn't natural just for the sake of it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I experiment more in short stories. I think it's a great way to try new things, some of which turn out to be useful in writing novel-length fiction. For instance, flash fiction is a great exercise in concision--telling a cohesive story in a limited number of words really teaches you how to cut ruthlessly.

I've also used shorts to explore things like first-person present and second person, and to try on different styles and genres. Most of my books are romance, but my short stories tend toward horror, suspense, and fantasy. I think it's fun to try different things, and short stories don't take much time--so why not?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm like you. A creature of habit. And you know something? It takes so very long to become okay at one sort of style (for me at least) that remaining fidelitous to one makes sense. Otherwise, proficiency might never be obtained.

That's just me though. An average joe. For those more skilled trying out new things is probably a good thing !

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
An author once wrote to me:
I can almost feel you slipping back into that comfortable groove at the beginning of every chapter, and believe me, I know how that goes. It’s so easy to rely on the one thing you know you can do well – and it’s so hard to resist it and take yourself totally out of that comfort zone.

. . .it would be fascinating to see you try writing something where you never let yourself do the one thing you do best.
I'm of two minds about that: Kalli's If it ain't broke philosophy, and What if?

I decided to go the What if? route with my last novel. It was a radical departure for me in terms of voice and style. I took a risk and I'm glad I did, but writing the thing was very hard for me. I struggled a lot to get it done; do it right.

There is something to be said for stepping out of your comfort zone. You might surprise yourself--I know I did. But it's also good to know you can rely on your own style. It comes naturally for you so it's easiest to write that way.

That's not a bad thing.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I think it is always good to stretch yourself, but if you aren't comfortable in writing first-person, there's other things you can do.....the reason I think it is important is so I don't write every single book about a fortyish white male midwesterner, not so I can go from first to third.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You should write whatever interests you. If there's something you want to write, don't back away because you've never tried it, or because it's intimidating. Try it.

But don't try something you have no interest in. Lack of interest usually means bad writing, even if you do have the required skill.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'd second what J.A.R. Says. I know certain styles come more naturally to me, and (surprise surprise) they tend to be similar to the kinds of novels and stories I prefer reading for the most part.

However, never say never. If you get excited about an idea that entails trying something new, then go for it. I don't care for omniscient, myself, but I can't say for sure I'd never try writing something in that pov if it fit. It might suck, but it might be interesting to try too.

One thought is to try writing a short story or two outside your comfort zone (if you write shorts at all). That way, if it's a disaster you won't have thrown months of your life into it. Though even trunk novels can be valuable learning experiences.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
One thought is to try writing a short story or two outside your comfort zone (if you write shorts at all). That way, if it's a disaster you won't have thrown months of your life into it. Though even trunk novels can be valuable learning experiences.

That is a great idea.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the writer and what he/she wants to accomplish. I don't care for other povs other than third person which is what I write. I've written first person narratives in school, but only because I was assigned to do so. I just want to get as good as I can writing what I like.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it depends on the story. Certain characters and ideas only come through to me from a first-person perspective. Other stories must be told in 3rd to work. It really depends on my connection to the character. But in general, I'd say exploring new styles of writing can only help you.

Bluefish

Registered
Reaction score
I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with staying inside your comfort zone as a writer - in general, if you're comfortable there, it's probably what you're best at writing.

Conversely, it can also be interesting to try writing something different. For example, most of my stories lean heavily towards the bleak and cynical side of things. That's because that's the kind of story I usually like, and I'm fine with that. But sometime I do decide to challenge myself a bit by writing something a bit more idealistic, as much out of curiosity as anything else. Can I do it or can't I? Only one way to find out.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I quote one of my favorite characters:

I don't want to get out of my comfort zone. It's called a comfort zone for a reason. Sheldon Cooper The Big Bang Theory.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it depends on the story. Certain characters and ideas only come through to me from a first-person perspective. Other stories must be told in 3rd to work. It really depends on my connection to the character. But in general, I'd say exploring new styles of writing can only help you.

I don't think that way. I don't have any connection to the characters. They're just facets of the story I create and control, and I can tell any story in any tense.

Exploring can help some, harm others. If you have no interest in doing it, and if you're good at something else, all you'll probably do by exploring is use time you could have saved for writing something you're good at.

I have nothing against trying something new, but trying just for the sake of trying probably isn't going to work.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
There's nothing wrong with trying out a new POV in your writing. Sometimes a story would work best in a certain view point, whether that's overall POV or character we're seeing the story through the eyes of. I tend to write in third, sometimes I slip into omni. This past July I wrote a novelette/ first draft of a novella that I felt would read better as 1st Person, and it does. It was what my idea needed to be executed to my satisfaction. If I had writen it another way, well, it wouldn't have been as good a story in my eyes.

Was I worried it would be crap because I never worked or desired to work in first before? Hell yess! I was absolutely terrified it would end up a steaming pile of shit because I had never written in that POV before. But the subject was vampires, something I know well. I wasn't flying totally blind, and that helped a great deal.

sayamini

i could go for another cappuccino.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the way I write, I tend to lean towards techniques that would benefit my story. So if I know of a POV or stylistic choice that would help the story, then I practice it. But I don't really learn those things for the sake of knowing them, especially if I feel like I'll never use them.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Ain't nothing wrong with staying in your comfort zone. However, if you ever feel compelled to try something different, take the opportunity so that you can learn something new.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you should always go outside your comfort zone, whether it is in writing, reading, or any other aspect of your life. You can't expect to develop as a writer (or person) by tending the same patch of grass. If you want to improve you have to face the big-ol' world.

I improved so much as a writer by expanding my reading material, I've written past and present tense, first and third person. I've learnt what works from experience, and not what someone else has told me. Be honest, the only reason you don't step outside of the comfort zone is fear. Who is in charge, you or him/her?

threetoedsloth

Registered
Reaction score
I think you should always go outside your comfort zone, whether it is in writing, reading, or any other aspect of your life. You can't expect to develop as a writer (or person) by tending the same patch of grass. If you want to improve you have to face the big-ol' world.

I improved so much as a writer by expanding my reading material, I've written past and present tense, first and third person. I've learnt what works from experience, and not what someone else has told me. Be honest, the only reason you don't step outside of the comfort zone is fear. Who is in charge, you or him/her?

The beauty of stepping out of the comfort zone is that it expands it. How many people have expanded their skill set by doing something new and stressful? This applies to both writing and elsewhere. For example, learning to ride a motorcycle was terrifying for me at first, but now I can't imagine why anyone would never try.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
My comfort zone is comfy, I like it.
I think of it as a nice, warm house in the middle of winter. Sure, I could go outside into the cold, and probably even get used to that cold, but why suffer the meantime so?

If I had some real reason for wanting to go outside and get used to the cold, things would be different, but doing it for mere sake of doing it is totally bizarre to me.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's always good to push at the boundaries of one's comfort zone - and that goes for life as well as writing - but it's pointless to venture too far into uncomfortable territory just for the sake of it.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I like to play around with tenses, perspectives, POV, etc. The way I see it, I won't know the extent of my strengths and weaknesses if I don't venture into unknown territory. Maybe something great will come of it, or maybe it'll be utter crap. If you can't take risks on the page, then where can you? That's why I love free writes and flash fiction; so many opportunities to try new things. I tend to over-analyze and fret a lot in my everyday life, so being fearless on the page is a way to maintain balance. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.