Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #2351
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post
Oh, them, yeah very embarrassing. I seem to remember my sister being into them back in the day.
I'll just Step by Step my way out of this thread.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #2352
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heza View Post
At least it wasn't Take That.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts -- you won't believe how random this is gonna get.

I am now tweeting at @JedCullan
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #2353
summerb
practical experience, FTW

summerb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heza View Post
LOL. My BFF had a NKOTB themed room and sheets and sleeping bag and all. I was obsessed with Vanilla Ice. Don't ask why. I don't know. I thought he was the hottest thing.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #2354
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputation
When I was in junior high and Ice, Ice Baby had just come out, the local DJ played it like 20 times straight. He kept coming back on the air, saying that his producer had just demanded that he stop playing it, but at the risk of ruining his career, "Here it is, one more time!" And then someone would call in requesting it immediately after, so he played it again. We were all glued to our radios, imagining him barricaded in the studio, being such a rebel... lol.

Too cold... too cold.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #2355
praktikle1
figuring it all out

praktikle1 is on a distinguished road
Category?

I'm finally published but still not sure how to categorize my book. Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.
And how do I get the thumbnail as my link. (below)..LITTLE HELP!

http://amzn.com/B00F93WFVU

Last edited by praktikle1; 11-24-2013 at 06:30 AM.
praktikle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #2356
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a shiny, shiny jewelTromboli is a shiny, shiny jewel
Try the self-publishing section here. I have no experience with amazon at this point, sorry

-DARCY DARKLING AND THE FORGOTTEN CITY: MG urban fantasy(querying)

-1000 other books I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to write at once

http://hopelessya.blogspot.com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Tromboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #2357
WriterEC
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

WriterEC is on a distinguished road
I have just recently got the feedback that my YA book sounds much more MG and I was suggested to query it that way. I am a little shocked. I was under the impression that it would be YA because my main character is 13 years old and I wrote more than 90.000 words.

Is there a market for longer MG books? Do you have any experience? Does anyone know where I could find a serious critique partner for MG?
WriterEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #2358
Shandylous

Shandylous is on a distinguished road
Hi WriterEC; welcome! A 13-year-old MC is definitely MG/upper MG (in most cases). YA tends to be more in the 16-yo age range. Your word count worries me for MG though. 90,000+ is really high. Have you revised and edited as much as humanly possible? Because you might be rejected on word count alone, unfortunately. When you reach 50 posts, you can post a sample on SYW and I'd be happy to look at it! Good luck!
Shandylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #2359
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a shiny, shiny jewelTromboli is a shiny, shiny jewel
90k is long for MG but a 13 year old character is definitely more MG. If you query as a MG you'll probably need to cut about 20k. The other option is making your character older. Read up on both categories though because there is definitely more of a difference in the two than just character age. You'll need to decide which is right for you but you need to know the market to figure that out. I'd pick up at least 5 YA and 5 MG books (not sure how much you already read in either) and look at the difference.

As for CPs there is a section here on AW that you can look for betas or CPs.

-DARCY DARKLING AND THE FORGOTTEN CITY: MG urban fantasy(querying)

-1000 other books I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to write at once

http://hopelessya.blogspot.com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Tromboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #2360
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
Seconding or thirding this-- YA runs higher. I can see 17 in YA much easier than 13.

It's not inherently a bad thing. YA is glutted right now and MG less so. A good MG novel is nothing to cry over, although at 90K, either chop or commit sequel.
RedWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #2361
little_e
Trust: that most precious coin.

little_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputationlittle_e has a golden reputation
Split it in two and call it a series
Old 12-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2362
WriterEC
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

WriterEC is on a distinguished road
Oh, I have already written 60K of the next series. And that book is supposed to be a lot longer. Maybe 110K.

Man, this is frustrating. All this time I was sure to write a YA novel. And therefore I never worried about the length of the book. But now, everything has changed...
WriterEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #2363
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
Oh god, if only...

So I'm at the store the other day and a voice behind me says "I'm following you because I think you're a famous author."

Completely baffled, I turned around and there's a very nice woman who came to one of my local book signings because her grandson is a big fan. We chatted for a minute, and she wandered off, but not before saying "It's so nice to know you still get out and do normal things like this!"

She was very nice and you don't want to laugh hysterically/weep gently in front of the grandparents of fans, but still...err...what did she THINK children's book authors do? (I'm still not sure if she thought I was too rich to do my own shopping, or too insane to leave the house!)
Old 12-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #2364
Shandylous

Shandylous is on a distinguished road
RedWombat, that is awesome! It's so hard to get out with the paparazzi hounding you, I'm sure. Quite a compliment though; congrats!
Shandylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #2365
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
That is really funny, RedWombat.

Back when Rick Riordan's Lightning Thief series was only on its second book, I took my son and two of his friends to his signing, which was on the second floor of a B&N. There were only about 30 kids there (the next year, there were over 200). When he was signing my son's book, his friend looked out the window and asked Mr. Riordan if that was his car parked across the street. It was an extremely expensive-looking yellow Ferrari.

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #2366
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current

Supergirlofnc is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWombat View Post
So I'm at the store the other day and a voice behind me says "I'm following you because I think you're a famous author."

Completely baffled, I turned around and there's a very nice woman who came to one of my local book signings because her grandson is a big fan. We chatted for a minute, and she wandered off, but not before saying "It's so nice to know you still get out and do normal things like this!"

She was very nice and you don't want to laugh hysterically/weep gently in front of the grandparents of fans, but still...err...what did she THINK children's book authors do? (I'm still not sure if she thought I was too rich to do my own shopping, or too insane to leave the house!)
Oh my - that's great. It must be nice to meet fans of your work Redwombat! Obviously, you do normal things like walk through book stores. You need to take a break from typing away in solitude on your solid gold laptop.

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #2367
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirlofnc View Post
Oh my - that's great. It must be nice to meet fans of your work Redwombat! Obviously, you do normal things like walk through book stores. You need to take a break from typing away in solitude on your solid gold laptop.
Gotta stay in touch with the little people...

(Man, and I had 250 lbs of cow manure in the back of my car at the time, too, for the garden...I wonder what she'd have made of that!)
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 AM   #2368
mahervolous
Middle Grade Man

mahervolous is on a distinguished road
On the thread of 'celebrity' moments, a friend of mine teaches Grade Four (or fourth grade...sorry, Canadian here) and whenever I have another manuscript in early drafts I take it in and read it to his students. At the end of every reading they line up to get me to sign their notebooks. It's pretty darn cute, actually.
mahervolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #2369
mahervolous
Middle Grade Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandylous View Post
Your word count worries me for MG though. 90,000+ is really high. Have you revised and edited as much as humanly possible? Because you might be rejected on word count alone, unfortunately.
My first MG manuscript, written about ten years ago, was over 100,000 words. I mailed the monster to England, straight to Christopher Little in some demented, twisted delusion of madness. It cost 76 bucks to mail it. Needless to say, I asked them to recycle my materials for the way back.

I learned my lesson, hard.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #2370
SuperKate

SuperKate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahervolous View Post
On the thread of 'celebrity' moments, a friend of mine teaches Grade Four (or fourth grade...sorry, Canadian here) and whenever I have another manuscript in early drafts I take it in and read it to his students. At the end of every reading they line up to get me to sign their notebooks. It's pretty darn cute, actually.
That's so great! Aw, I love MG-ers!

Twitterfying
SuperKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #2371
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current

Supergirlofnc is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahervolous View Post
I think it's wonderful you get to read to the fourth graders (grade fourers?) And who knows, those kid's notebooks may very well be worth some money some day!

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #2372
mahervolous
Middle Grade Man

It has been such an invaluable way of digging deeper into the story. They have an uncanny insight into what they want to see happen, and they ask questions that would never have crossed my mind in a million years.
I got Farley Mowat's signature when he came to my school back in the late 80s. He wrote in this funny, loopy scrawl, and I, not being made of the brightest of materials, decided it would be a good idea to trace over the writing with my own. Hopefully none of the kids I've read to will have that wave of inspiration.