poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
N. Korea threatens nuclear strike on White House

Seoul (AFP) - A top-ranking North Korean military official has threatened a nuclear strike on the White House and Pentagon after accusing Washington of raising military tensions on the Korean peninsula.

The threat came from Hwang Pyong-So, director of the military's General Political Bureau, during a speech to a large military rally in Pyongyang Sunday on the anniversary of the armistice that ended the 1950-53 Korean War.

Hwang, who holds the rank of vice marshal in the Korean People's Army, said a recent series of South Korea-US military drills, one of which included the deployment of a nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier, had ramped up tensions.

"If the US imperialists threaten our sovereignty and survival... our troops will fire our nuclear-armed rockets at the White House and the Pentagon -- the sources of all evil," Hwang said in his speech broadcast Monday on state television.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
So, what does this mean? A school of fish swimming around off the North Korean coast should be really worried?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
we'll see how funny you guys are if they ever can get a launcher into the white house driveway.

that would give them a 50/50 chance of hitting it.

then we'll see who's laughing/glowing.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Why would I prepare? If one of those things ever came, I'd be running TOWARD the blast.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Do they know where the White House is? Last map I saw of them plotting nuclear strikes, Austin, TX was near the top of the list.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
More like the threat of a nuclear ice cube dissolving somewhere in the Yellow Sea...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Do they know where the White House is? Last map I saw of them plotting nuclear strikes, Austin, TX was near the top of the list.

They looked at the map and saw Washington state and thought, "Hey, we can hit that!"

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
They looked at the map and saw Washington state and thought, "Hey, we can hit that!"

The Great Leader is able to throw a dart at it from across the room, so it's more or less the same, right?

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Nuclear strike? I thought they were going to invade like in Red Dawn. What a let down.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously, we need to send Dennis Rodman back over there to calm him down.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
What's the matter, NK, jels that Ukraine and Gaza are getting all the attention lately?

I can imagine things in Pyongyang's publicity department. 'Mentions of us are down 50% in the past month. We're losing eyeballs fast! Time to threaten to nuke something! But our social media monitors are telling us that civilian targets are out in July, so we'll have to specify particular government buildings.'

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Blimey... I say we need to take off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

We get to orbit, we don't need no steenking nooks.

Bright pebbles for the win. Although that was aimed at incoming missiles, no reason it couldn't go all the way to the ground. That's what Jerry Pournelle described as "Project THOR."

Project Thor is an idea for a weapons system that launches kinetic projectiles from Earth orbit to damage targets on the ground. Jerry Pournelle originated the concept while working in operations research at Boeing in the 1950s before becoming a science-fiction writer.

The most described system is "an orbiting tungsten telephone pole with small fins and a computer in the back for guidance". The weapon can be down-scaled, an orbiting "crowbar" rather than a pole.The system described in the 2003 United States Air Force (USAF) report was that of 20-foot-long (6.1 m), 1-foot-diameter (0.30 m) tungsten rods, that are satellite controlled, and have global strike capability, with impact speeds of Mach 10.

A mach 10 shock wave might as well be an explosive warhead.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
133825_original.jpg